HO Uncoupling Levers

pennsylvania1954

I have run out of my supply of the ubiquitous Coupler Cut-bar--Standard, Detail Associates 229-6215. Although I rarely buy direct from Walthers, their website often provides a good indicator of market availability. It says these won't be available until March 2017. My usual suppliers are all out of stock. This may be the wrong day to ask with everyone traveling to the other side of Florida, but does anyone know of a retailer with a supply of these essential parts?

Thanks!

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Tim O'Connor

Steve, they are quite easy to make yourself, with a little practice.

Tim O'Connor

I have run out of my supply of the ubiquitous Coupler Cut-bar--Standard, Detail Associates 229-6215. Although I rarely buy direct from Walthers, their website often provides a good indicator of market availability. It says these won't be available until March 2017. My usual suppliers are all out of stock. This may be the wrong day to ask with everyone traveling to the other side of Florida, but does anyone know of a retailer with a supply of these essential parts?

Thanks!

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Tangent Scale Models

Steve,

You can make your own like Tim suggests, or take a look at the two coupler lift bar offerings from Tangent Scale Models.  They are significantly cheaper than DA, and we offer two different shapes!

Why waste more time hunting?  Look here:  http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/unique-and-useful-parts/

Thank you,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

pennsylvania1954

Hi Dave--Thanks! I just looked at one my Tangent G31B's and your lift bar will definitely work. Thanks for the heads up!

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Dean ONeill

Steve,

I have kind of given up on Detail Associates 229-6215, they are so hard to find, and now overpriced (last few years).

Switched to Tangent’s offering, although those are not cheap either (5 pair for $5). I wish there was a good folding JIG, I would then do my own as Tim suggests. Or a youtube video on how to fold my own (that actually looked good).

Dean ONeill

Redmond WA

Tim O'Connor

The basic problem is that there are DOZENS of possible shapes. I have
hundreds of pictures of the cut levers on freight cars and they come in
a huge variety of shapes. And that's not even counting the MANY styles
of telescoping cut levers introduced when cushion coupler pockets made
those necessary.

I have a small pair of pliers that close flat, have 90 degree edges and
taper down to 0.03 (about 1/32") at the ends, and I've learned to bend wire
to match almost any "plain" cut lever that uses steel rod (i.e. not Carmer
levers), and it only takes a minute. I don't make them in advance - I just
make one, put it on the car, and then make another, etc.

I have no idea where I got them (I've had them for almost 30 yrs, one of
my first tools) and I can't find any that look exactly like them online.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/32032394861

Tim O'

Switched to Tangent�s offering, although those are not cheap either (5 pair for $5). I wish there was a good folding JIG, I would then do my own as Tim suggests. Or a youtube video on how to fold my own (that actually looked good).
Dean ONeill
Redmond WA

frograbbit602

Tim wrote, "I have a small pair of pliers that close flat, have 90 degree edges and
taper down to 0.03 (about 1/32") at the ends, and I've learned to bend wire...."

I as Tim bend my own uncoupling levers using a similar pliers by Beadsmith purchased at Hobby Lobby in their jewelry section. I do not know if still available.

Lester Breuer

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Steve,

Try Bowser. They show them in stock.

http://www.bowserorders.com/.sc/ms/sch/ee?search=229-6215&go.x=14&go.y=11

Over all I agree with making a fixture to bend up your own but that takes time to work out.

John Hagen

3b

Thu Jan 5, 2017 1:08 pm (PST) . Posted by:

pennsylvania1954

I have run out of my supply of the ubiquitous Coupler Cut-bar--Standard, Detail Associates 229-6215. Although I rarely buy direct from Walthers, their website often provides a good indicator of market availability. It says these won't be available until March 2017. My usual suppliers are all out of stock. This may be the wrong day to ask with everyone traveling to the other side of Florida, but does anyone know of a retailer with a supply of these essential parts?

Thanks!

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Thu Jan 5, 2017 5:10 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Tim O'Connor" cf5250