Topics

D&H open tops

anthony wagner

I'm trying to find out what color D&H painted their open top cars in the post WW2 era, specifically hopper cars circa 1949 or so. Web searches yield nothing.  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Tony Wagner

Eric Hansmann

John Nehrich of the RPI NEB&W group posted this on Facebook a week or so back.

Just to let people know - from what we can see, all D&H freight cars were painted freight car red until about 1941, when they switched to black for the open-top cars. It seems that cars with the circular herald, either the "Century of Anthracite" or the 1950 "Bridge Line" version, had switched to black.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

I'm trying to find out what color D&H painted their open top cars in the post WW2 era, specifically hopper cars circa 1949 or so. Web searches yield nothing.  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Tony Wagner

anthony wagner

Eric thanks for that info. That leads me to ask was the circular herald always used with the black paint or was it applied later in the 1940s? Thanks for your answer, Tony Wagner

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 11:50 AM, "anycw1@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I'm trying to find out what color D&H painted their open top cars in the post WW2 era, specifically hopper cars circa 1949 or so. Web searches yield nothing.  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Tony Wagner

Donald B. Valentine

    That info confirms everything I've been told about paint for D&H hoppers but does anyone
know of a good source for decals for D&H hoppers, gons and boxcars in the 1935 to 1950 era?

Thanks for any suggestions, Don Valentine

anthony wagner

Don, Tichy is a good source. I have both his 10147 and 10165 sets. To properly letter a car in the 1949 era that I model requires a modest amount of piecing using both sets. Tony Wagner

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 7:46 AM, "riverman_vt@... [STMFC]" wrote:

    That info confirms everything I've been told about paint for D&H hoppers but does anyone
know of a good source for decals for D&H hoppers, gons and boxcars in the 1935 to 1950 era?

Thanks for any suggestions, Don Valentine

William Dale

Group,

         I wanted to add  to this topic in regards to paint and decals available.  In my collection of photos, the D&H had purchased a lot of composite, not Seley, 3-bay hoppers, series 4401-4611.  First, no. 4549 appears as built 9-36 no circular herald, and is all black.  Although a B&W image the contrast between the coupler and the car body is significant.  Second, no. 4541 with last shop date of 1-48, is in a "Anthracite" herald and is also black going along with what has been mentioned earlier.  The photo is color and the car has some hard years on it.  For anyone interested there were still 209 of these in January of '53.  Now for decals, in HO, are as mentioned earlier the Tichy offerings, Westerfield D3309 for the USRA single sheath box cars, C-D-S 591 was for the USRA 2-bay hoppers converted to covered hoppers in the red scheme, nos. 3201-3220.  All were in service as of January '53 in grey though.  I don't know when they were changed like the USRA single sheath box cars also in cement service, and F&C has the early gondola sets.  Lastly, years back the O&W car shop imported brass Seley hoppers cars and had a very nice decal set to finish them off.  I have two sets packed away, but they are still listed as set #1004 on the Old and Weary Car Shop website.

Bill

William Dale

I forgot to add this earlier for those who may be interested.  The D&H also had their fleet of L.C.L air activated cement canister gondolas, originally 15950-15969, and then added 15900-15914.  These appeared in the early 1940's and were red.  To the best of my knowledge these never wore black.  I have a photo of 15911, Oneonta 8-64 still wearing it's red paint.  Now, Shortline Products makes a set of decals for the air cement canisters covering the D&H, NYC, DL&W, and LV.

Bill

Benjamin Hom

Bill Dale wrote:

"In my collection of photos, the D&H had purchased a lot of composite, not Seley, 3-bay hoppers, series 4401-4611. First, no. 4549 appears as built 9-36 no circular herald, and is all black. Although a B&W image the contrast between the coupler and the car body is significant. Second, no. 4541 with last shop date of 1-48, is in a "Anthracite" herald and is also black going along with what has been mentioned earlier. The photo is color and the car has some hard years on it. For anyone interested there were still 209 of these in January of '53."

Sorry, Bill, 209 cars is not "a lot", even where the D&H is concerned. It pales next to the 3500+ Seley cars (51%) and the ~1400 30 ft 11 in fishbelly twins (20%) on the roster in the July 1950 ORER, making up a whopping 3% of the D&H hopper fleet.

Ben Hom

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <williamdale75@...> wrote :

I forgot to add this earlier for those who may be interested.  The D&H also had their fleet of L.C.L air activated cement canister gondolas, originally 15950-15969, and then added 15900-15914.  These appeared in the early 1940's and were red.  To the best of my knowledge these never wore black.  I have a photo of 15911, Oneonta 8-64 still wearing it's red paint.  Now, Shortline Products makes a set of decals for the air cement canisters covering the D&H, NYC, DL&W, and LV.

Bill

    Thank you Bill. This is all good information to have. I have three of Allan Seebachs (sp?) O&W Car
Shops brass D&H hoppers in wo configurations and am pleased to have them though I usually prefer
injection molded or resin for the freight car fleet. But when something like those hoppers comes along
and is the only game in town short of scratchbuilding there is room for and exception or two. A fair
amount of coal came into Vermont from the D&H branch into Rutland and a small amount over the "Slate
Picker" branch that crisscrossed the VT-NY border. But it also came in via the D&H connections with
both the Rutland and the Boston & Maine so the D&H hoppers could be seen almost anywhere in the
state even if not as common hoppers of the B&O, which seem to be the most frequently seen in our era
judging from thousands of photos seen over the years. Then, too, the Rutland used to transfer coal from
off line hoppers to its own for delivery simply to cut down per diem charges. Other roads ay have done
this too but it seemed to be a standard practice for years on the Rutland.

   Can you also suggest a source of black D&H decals for the gray covered hoppers used for cement?
I hated taking cement samples from those cars in the summer of 1967 because when loaded the top of
the load was a good 3 - 4 ft. below the open hatch and we had no scoop to reach it with for sampling.
Thus one had to climb down on top of it. Not fun. Wait until the end of the work day and get a shower
and change of clothes as quickly as one could. Quite a bit of cement came into Vermont in those
cars before the "Ft. Edward Express" took over the buik of cement delivery into Vermont. Now it all
comes in air dump trailers from three points in Quebec.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Craig Zeni

1c. Re: D&H open tops
Posted by: williamdale75@... williamdale75
Date: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 pm ((PST))

Group,

[...]
The O&WCS web site is almost invariably very out of date; I bought his last pair of Genesis F3s several years ago but they're still listed on the web site. Best to call and see what Al has on the shelf. As an O&W modeler I have some of those Seley cars on the shelf along with some of the little brass O&W drop bottom coal gons and his lovely O&W cabooses.

I have a thing for the D&H's big Consolidations...but the O&W's rag tag fleet of second hand hoppers bought in various LOTS just makes it entertaining to model. That, along with the high percentage of bridge traffic on the lower part of the route makes it easy to scratch the freight car itch. After all, when the road never owned a 40' steel or wood box car...scratch away :)

Craig Zeni
Cary NC