Topics

Re weigh locations

rob.mclear3@...

Hi to all

First off I have posted this to a number of groups so I apologise if you get it more than once.   I am able to access a Decal maker here in Australia who is able to print white decals.   I am interested to put reweigh dates on my boxcars and am wondering what the codes would have been.   For instance I know that San Bernardino shops used SB so a reweigh date would have looked like SB 9-47.   But I don't know what the other shops were I suspect that Kansas City would have been KS and maybe Corwith would be CW, the only other one I know about may have been La Junta with LJ but I don't have a clue as to the rest.

I am only talking about Santa Fe cars here and in the period before 1948.   As to others such as Wabash, NYC, NKP, Pennsylvania  and others I will have to find that later.   Also for information I am modelling in HO.

Regards

Rob McLear

Aussie.

Charles Peck

In the group files is a document listing many shop symbols for many railroads.
There would be the first place I would start.
Chuck Peck in FL

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM, rob.mclear3@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Rob,

From my notes on previous discussions (IIRC contributed by the late Richard Hendrickson):

TOP--Topeka

SAN--San Bernardino

CLE--Cleburne, Texas

From the Champ decal set:

AM, AQ, CY, FM, KC, LJ, SB, TS and WC. Some are obvious, other are unknown to me, but I'm certain others will comment at length on them.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/15/17 8:49 AM, rob.mclear3@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Tony Thompson

      Odd how people forget , but there is a VERY comprehensive list of reweigh symbols, still on the "steam era freight cars" web site, originally compiled by Richard Hendrickson and added to by many others. Here's the link. You might wish to do as I did, and download it for your own files.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

rob.mclear3@...

Tony thank you I have downloaded that and has answered all of my questions in one hit.   I didn't know of that resource and will have to keep it in mind in future thank you so much.

Rob McLear
Aussie.