Topics

Rust-Oleum Dead Flat Clear Finish

thecitrusbelt@...

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Greg Martin

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?

Show of hands...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/15/2017 3:12:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Greg,

Some of us don't have a paint booth, and have to do our painting out on the patio, or by sable. Yes, I tried propellant cans, and they didn't work very well for me.

I do have an airbrush somewhere. Used just once.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/16/17 2:24 AM, tgregmrtn@... [STMFC] wrote:

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?

Show of hands...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/15/2017 3:12:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Greg Martin asked:
"How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In
today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic
airbrush?

Show of hands..."

Actually, I do if the color is available. I hate cleaning the airbrush.

Ben Hom

Scott H. Haycock

So Garth,

You've piqued my interest...how do you paint your freight cars?

Scott Haycock

Some of us don't have a paint booth, and have to do our painting out on the patio, or by sable. Yes, I tried propellant cans, and they didn't work very well for me.

I do have an airbrush somewhere. Used just once.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Scott,

Usually with spray cans on the patio. Now that Floquil sprays have disappeared, I'm stuck with various red oxide primers. I have a huge collection of cans of every brand I could find, each backed by a 3X5" styrene sample card kept in a file box. I make notes on these cards about what cars I've painted with them, and also how the paint performed. The paint is usually not as fine as Floquil, and I'm not happy. Due to ventilation and my sweetheart's asthma issues, I will never have an indoor paint booth.

Does this get me kicked off STMFC for heresy?

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 1/16/17 5:30 AM, 'Scott H. Haycock ' shhaycock@... [STMFC] wrote:

So Garth,

You've piqued my interest...how do you paint your freight cars?

Scott Haycock

Some of us don't have a paint booth, and have to do our painting out on the patio, or by sable. Yes, I tried propellant cans, and they didn't work very well for me.

I do have an airbrush somewhere. Used just once.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Scott H. Haycock

Garth,

Once I read my last post, I can see where its conciseness might appear confrontational. That was not my intention. I really am interested in your techniques. I suspect a lot of modelers either can't afford, or are intimidated by air brushes and paint booths, yet know that brush painting is near impossible to do well.  That leaves spray cans.

Any insights you may have would be educational, to say the least!

Scott Haycock
.

Scott H. Haycock

Garth,

I have a spray booth, but don't want to knock a hole in a wall, etc. So I take it outside to use it. This sounds odd- Why don't I just spray in the open?

The booths fan removes over spray, and protects the model from stray drafts. I live in New Mexico, and even in winter, we'll get days where I can do this outdoors.

As to using spray cans, Google "Replacement spray can nozzles" You can get better nozzles that will produce a finer mist.

Scott Haycock

Scott,

Usually with spray cans on the patio. Now that Floquil sprays have disappeared, I'm stuck with various red oxide primers. I have a huge collection of cans of every brand I could find, each backed by a 3X5" styrene sample card kept in a file box. I make notes on these cards about what cars I've painted with them, and also how the paint performed. The paint is usually not as fine as Floquil, and I'm not happy. Due to ventilation and my sweetheart's asthma issues, I will never have an indoor paint booth.

Does this get me kicked off STMFC for heresy?

Yours Aye,

Garth

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Scott,

No, I didn't think you were confrontational. But there's really not much to say. I just test the spray first to make sure it is shooting right before aiming it at a model. Then several light coats are blown with the can aimed just before the model, ending beyond the model on the other side. I usually let each coat dry a bit before going at the model again. Standard stuff. Sometimes it works well, other times not so good. Given the infamous clogging problems with Floquil cans, most of the primers shoot much better. Of course, weather is a factor. I can't do models when the temperature is below 55 degrees, and it's not easy when the wind is blowing.

I also do a lot of brush work on structures and figures with craft store acrylic paints, including Plaid, Anita's, Americana and Folk Art brands. These are also good for wash-weathering on freight cars, or just dabbing with a 1/4" brush on underframes. Right now I'm using these acrylics and a 0000 brush on some O-scale figures for a future English narrow gauge layout. Next step, buttons, lips and eyeballs.

I use a matte art acrylic spray as a sealer. Testors Dullcote or Pactra Flat were best, I can't find them anymore. Plaid Clear Acrylic Sealer from the art store works fairly well, except in high humidity when it sometimes dries milky. This explains my interest in the new Rustoleum product.

Yours Aye,

Garth

On 1/16/17 5:57 AM, 'Scott H. Haycock ' shhaycock@... [STMFC] wrote:

Garth,

Once I read my last post, I can see where its conciseness might appear confrontational. That was not my intention. I really am interested in your techniques. I suspect a lot of modelers either can't afford, or are intimidated by air brushes and paint booths, yet know that brush painting is near impossible to do well.  That leaves spray cans.

Any insights you may have would be educational, to say the least!

Scott Haycock
.

Tim O'Connor

Rolling stock, never.

But I use them for other items. For example I like to spray laser cut wood (out
of box, when it is still in a sheet) with MinWax clear coat (wood sealant). I guess
if I ever build an Ambroid model, it will get the same treatment. :-)

And I'll probably use them for large structures like truss bridges.

Tim O'Connor

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world
why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?

Show of hands...

Greg Martin

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Greg,

    Paasche airbrush user since 1967.....50 years.....and cannot understand anyone using a spray can
to paint with though I admit to it for Testors Dullcote on occasion.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 1/16/2017 4:45 AM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] wrote:
�

Rolling stock, never.

But I use them for other items. For example I like to spray laser cut wood (out
of box, when it is still in a sheet) with MinWax clear coat (wood sealant). I guess
if I ever build an Ambroid model, it will get the same treatment. :-)

Tim,

I had heard that one should avoid Minwax products because they had wax in them. Have you noticed this, or does the clear coat not have any wax in it?

Spen Kellogg

T.J. Stratton

I'm a Badger airbrush fan.  I use their line of paints as well as Tru Color and Scalecoat II.  I have a paint booth that vents to the outdoors thru a dryer vent in the block windows.  While a rattle can sounds slick, I feel that the paint flow could be way be too heavy for painting of H.O. size rolling stock.  I have painted a number of buildings with rattle cans with fine results.

Regarding economic airbrush set ups, several years ago I purchased a small compressor and airbrush as a set from Harbor Freight, for about $75 as I recall.  That kept me painting when recalled to active duty during Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I only used Badger paint thru that rig but still, I have no complaints about the results.

TJ Stratton Maumee, OH. "Modeling the 1950's branch lines of the Michigan Central Railroad in southern Michigan" Mailto:michigancentralrr@...

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?

Show of hands...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/15/2017 3:12:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

tjcataldo

HI
If go to your local auto body supply store ask a flat  compound  you add to paint
You put it in model paint to get that flat  finish

     Tom

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Clark Propst

I’ve used spray cans at work forever, some brands are better than others. At home I’ve used Testors Dullcote in a can years ago, but it seemed to always end up with a spotty finish? Lately I’ve used white primer to paint a couple large structures. Here in the north country it would be difficult you use rattle cans year round. I need to paint some trees. Later this week it’s suppose to (maybe) hit 40. I’ll lay a drop cloth over my work bench in the garage, stick the trees in foam, run out to the garage, spray them with a couple different camo shades and run them back in the basement. I have a large paint booth, but not large enough to paint a gaggle of trees in.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Chuck Cover

For all of my projects, locomotives, freight cars and structures, I first use a spray can of flat black as a primer.  I have used various brands including ACE and Rust-Oleum.  For the finish color I will use the air brush when I have an acceptable color available.  I favor the left over Floquil that I have horded and Scalecoat.  I do not like to use acrylic paints in the airbrush.

I recently found ACE  red oxide primer to be a reasonable FCC for PRR rolling stock.  I use a spray booth for all solvent based painting and adhesives.  The spray booth is next to a double hung window that I removed the screen from and put in a piece of plywood with a vent for the spray booth.  When I use the spray booth, I open the window and attach the exhaust to the vent.  When I am done, just disconnect the exhaust and close the window.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM

Tim O'Connor

lol... you probably don't want to know what's in Green Giant frozen foods...

Tim,

I had heard that one should avoid Minwax products because they had wax in them. Have you noticed this, or does the clear coat not have any wax in it?

Spen Kellogg

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Took me a second, but I got there.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Monday, January 16, 2017 at 9:38 AM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>

lol... you probably don't want to know what's in Green Giant frozen foods...

Dave Pfeiffer

Never!  I have a Paasche VL I have been using for years.  Everything I paint except for wheels and small details gets sprayed.  I built a “spay booth” with exhaust fan into a former window opening in my basement shop area.

Dave Pfeiffer

How many guys here use spray cans to paint their HO Scale equipment? In today's world why wouldn't you have acquired even the most economic airbrush?

Show of hands...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/15/2017 3:12:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

At yesterday's Great Train Show I talked with Joel Bragdon, the weathering powder entrepreneur, about base and finish coatings for use with chalks and powders.

He mentioned that Rust-Oleum announced a new coating last March called "Dead Flat Clear" and that he likes the product. Here is a photo link:

http://tinyurl.com/jnou4lu

I did a little searching and found that Home Depot and Lowe's both carry it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Greg,

My approach is very similar to Chuck Cover.  I use spray cans of Model Master Acryl black on ALL my brass models as a primer coat, and then typically top coat that with acrylics with my airbrush. The Model Master spray bombs work great and the paint is fantastic, with very fine particles and a nice ability to self level.  I honestly wish that there were more colors that I could use for top coats in that line.

As a note, I have had nothing but terrible results from Dullcoat in a spray can.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL