From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2017 4:33 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Air hoses

Really enjoyed Michael Gross's weathering article in the January MRH. The lack of coupler trip pin and air hose installation added to the look I am after. I plan to use some of his techniques and add air hoses to my fleet.

Looking for suggestions on which hoses to buy and any installation tips. Modeling the B&O in September 1956.

Thanks.

Fran Giacoma

Schuyler Larrabee

I agree with Jack on the Hi-Tech Details hoses. They sometimes have a ‘set’ to them that can be eliminated so they will hang properly, but that’s the only drawback. I like their brackets, too.

Schuyler

After trying Kadee air hoses (too easily broken) and maybe some others, I have settled on Hi-Tech Details. I have not tried the ones with the brass brackets since I am using brackets from Precision Scale but those who have used them have, I think, been pleased with them. Here is the website:

http://www.hitechdetails.com/Catalog/cfm/catalog-htd.cfm

Jack Burgess

Really enjoyed Michael Gross's weathering article in the January MRH. The lack of coupler trip pin and air hose installation added to the look I am after. I plan to use some of his techniques and add air hoses to my fleet.

Looking for suggestions on which hoses to buy and any installation tips. Modeling the B&O in September 1956.

Thanks.

Fran Giacoma

If you mean "sag" instead of "set" I agree. I've used eyebolts or other
means to prevent the droop.

Anyone tried stainless steel hypodermic tube to prevent this? I see a web site
that sells tube with an O.D. as small as 0.006" ! That's roughly 1/2 the size of
a #80 drill bit - the drill hole could be made with 0.2mm drill bits. (I just got
a set of 10 of them from China for $1.99 - shipping included.)

Tim O'

P.S. I've always thought the Branchline air hoses with their box car kits were
beautiful. But unfortunately, extremely fragile.

I agree with Jack on the Hi-Tech Details hoses.  They sometimes have a set to them that can be eliminated so they will hang properly, but that's the only drawback.  I like their brackets, too.
Schuyler

Michael Gross

I second Jack Burgess’ thoughts.  I use Hi-Tech hoses exclusively.  For steam-era, you want the 22” hoses, and I mount them in various ways, depending on the car.

Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

No, Tim, I meant a 'set,' meaning a built-in curvature which makes them
assume a shape that wouldn't occur at prototype scale. It IS possible to
get them to hang right, but I have also given up on some of them as
incorrigible.

And yes, I've used some hypodermic tubing to sleeve the rubber hoses onto
the rest of the air line. The only way I know to cut that stuff, though, is
to use a cut-off disk in a Dremel, which doesn't' lead to a lot of
consistency in the length of the sleeves. Anybody out there got a more
controllable technique?

Schuyler

[...]

Keep in mind that air hoses are required to be mounted at a 30 degrees
angle, tipped toward the coupler.

Jack Burgess

Tim O'Connor

Jack

You are absolutely right. I have 550+ images of the B-ends of freight
cars on my hard drive and every one is tilted. It's amazing also to see
the incredibly variety of brackets and hangers and home made doo-dads
employed to hold the brake hoses exactly where they need to be.

Tim O'