Topics

HO Refrigerator Car Preco Fan Availability

Ken Adams

I have a string of old Athearn Blue Box PFE ice cars (not ice service) I am upgrading as a past time. Most date to the 1970's and 80's so are rough representations of a PFE R-40-23 car. I am using Tony Thomspson's blog postings as a guide. I model the very early 1950's when Preco fans were installed on a lot of PFE cars, if I understand correctly for pre-cooling cars before delivery to shippers for loading and wish to replicate this feature better than the blob of black paint Athearn used to indicate the internal fan shaft.One or two may get corrected car ends but I will leave the 10-12 others as is.

I cannot find any of the Details Associate’s #215 Refrigerator Car Details w/PRECO fan anywhere. It is not listed anymore by Detail Associates, not available on any eBay site. It would be wonderful is someone has a secret stash of these parts they are not planning to use and would be willing to part (no pun intended) with them.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a source for either the Detail Associates part or an easily available alternative. I have trialed building the internal fan shaft end from round plastic shapes and a hole drilled in the car, but would also like to add the panel with the wheel shaft and control.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Ken Adams

Walnut Creak (wet weather and a bit of arthritis)

Ken Adams

Yesterday I couldn't find these on eBay and today I can. Ordered 3 from a seller and hopefully will come soon.

Ken Adams
Still in Creak mode

Tony Thompson

Ken Adams wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a source for either the Detail Associates part or an easily available alternative. I have trialed building the internal fan shaft end from round plastic shapes and a hole drilled in the car, but would also like to add the panel with the wheel shaft and control.

   The Detail Associates part is nice. I have also used the Precision Scale boiler washout plug, which looks quite similar. Don't have the part number handy but could look it up if you can't find idt.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Richard Townsend

As I recall, a good substitute is (was?) a "washout plug" from, maybe, Precision Scale (?). I'm at work and don't have access to my files.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Ken

Shapeways?

It's hard to pry rare, no longer made, detail parts out of THIS group,
or any group of RPM fine detail modelers. I have some but I am saving
them for retrofit to SUNSHINE kits to represent cars modified later in
life - and to a couple of brass cars that just came with a hole in their
side where the fan plate is supposed to go.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Bill Welch

Are you sure it is a Detail Assoc.'s part. I think it was a Detail West part included in their Reefer Detail set.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

That is correct Bill - Details West #215 - Preco fan details and tack boards

Are you sure it is a Detail Assoc.'s part. I think it was a Detail West part included in their Reefer Detail set.

Bill Welch

Walter

I found a set in Canada online 1.75 Cad.

Lenny Ohrnell

Ken Adams

I didn't even notice.  I had been using an old reference from Arvid Grass to then Detail Associates.  The seller is  sending Details West parts.

Michael Gross