Icing Platform - Where Was This?

thecitrusbelt@...

Anyone have an educated guess as to where this photo was taken?

The location is somewhere in Arizona. Clues are the Crystal Ice House and the Standard Oil Company building.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rtfkqQRupCY/maxresdefault.jpg

Notice the car number stenciling on the refrigerator car ice hatch cover. There also appears to be a number stenciled on the ventilator hood of the reefer off to the far right...if that is in fact a reefer and a ventilator hood.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Allen Montgomery

If the SFRD refer is the home road, I would say it is around Glendale. I can't think of another town in Az of that size that they loaded refers in.
Allen

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:04 PM, "thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC]" wrote:

The location is somewhere in Arizona. Clues are the Crystal Ice House and the Standard Oil Company building.

Notice the car number stenciling on the refrigerator car ice hatch cover. There also appears to be a number stenciled on the ventilator hood of the reefer off to the far right...if that is in fact a reefer and a ventilator hood.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jim Williams <wwww5960@...>

The sign on the building says Glendale as in AZ.....Jim Williams

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:04 PM, "thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC]"

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

gary laakso

The sign says Glendale Standard Oil, so its most likely Glendale.

gary laakso

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:04 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Icing Platform - Where Was This?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Patrick Wade

Looks like the sign on the roof says Glendale.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Allen Montgomery sandbear75@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

If the SFRD refer is the home road, I would say it is around Glendale. I can't think of another town in Az of that size that they loaded refers in.
Allen

On Thursday, January 19, 2017 1:04 PM, "thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Paul Koehler

Bob:

Sign on the Standard oil building says “Glendale”, so it’s on the ATSF.  Great pictures of the Ice trucks, thanks.

Paul C. Koehler

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 12:05 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Icing Platform - Where Was This?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jim Betz

Tony Thompson/anyone,

That pic of the reefer with the stenciling on the ice hatch ... was there
a reason why the icing crews needed to know the car number? For
instance did they load different amounts of ice (or salt) in the cars
based upon cooling needs ... by car number?
- Jim B.

John Sykes III

Tony:

In response to you and others.  First, yes, icing requirements varied by the produce in the reefer.  But probably more important, the icing facilities were often run by contractors or vendors, so they tracked the amount of salt and ice added to each car so the owner could be billed for their services.  For example, the ice house at Altoona was originally operated by Amour or Swift (I forget which), so the car owners would be billed by the pounds of salt and tons of ice added at that stop.  PRR eventually took over the icing operations at Altoona to save money (or, more likely, to make money, since they didn't own many reefers).

-- John

Tony Thompson

Jim Betz wrote:

Tony Thompson/anyone,
That pic of the reefer with the stenciling on the ice hatch ... was there a reason why the icing crews needed to know the car number? For instance did they load different amounts of ice (or salt) in the cars based upon cooling needs ... by car number?

The ice deck foreman estimated by eye the amount of ice needed to fill each bunker to the top, and wrote that number on a train list or consist sheet. The final shipment bill would include amounts of ice at each icing, along with requested amounts of salt. The ice deck crews then had no decisions to make on ice amounts, they just filled the bunkers.
      Neither SFRD nor PFE consistently put car numbers on ice hatch covers or roofs down through the years. Crews could easily see the end numbers on cars.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Douglas Harding

Jim icing requirements varied by contents, weather and destination. So each car had different needs. The ice dock received instructions from the shipper as to how much ice and salt for each car. So the ice crew had to know what each car was to receive. Not all car owners stenciled the car number on the ice hatch. But SFRD was one known to have the car number on the hatch, which made identifying the car easier, which no doubt reduced errors and thus saved costs.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 1/19/2017 1:04 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] wrote:

Bob,

I think it's Glendale AZ. The reefer is a Santa Fe reefer (SFRD) and the Glendale Arizona Historical Society has a picture in it's online history of the Crystal Ice and Cold Storage Company building that matches the one in your photo.

Spen Kellogg