Topics

Black Southern Pacific 3-Bay Covered Hoppers?

Brian Termunde

I have a friend who is doing a mid to late 1950's Espee three bay covered hopper for someone else. It was already partially finished in black, and he's hoping not to have to strip and repaint it.

The person he's doing the car for is not a serious modelers such as the members of this group, so the model is intended only to be representative of an SP car, not an exact model, however, my friend doesn't want to letter it SP if they didn't have any black cars.

I did think about asking about this on the SP group, but realized that I probably would only to be told to buy a certain $70 book, which is a very valuable reference and would be a great, and much welcomed addition to my library, is a regardless, bit expensive to answer one simple question!

Okay, actually two questions, what would, if an appropriate similar car existed, would be a reasonable number series to use for it.

Now I do realize that this is blasphemy to this group, but hopefully eventually this stand in will encourage its owner to learn more about the prototype and such critters can be hidden away as they should be...

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

P.S. No, it's NOT for me!

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 1/29/2017 2:03 PM, Brian Termunde GCRDS@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Brian,

Have your friend look at this web site:

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/index.htm

Covered hoppers were gray with red or black lettering. Subsequent to 1956 yellow lettering also appeared. I don't think they ever were painted black.

Spen Kellogg

Tony Thompson

Brian Termunde wrote:

I have a friend who is doing a mid to late 1950's Espee three bay covered hopper for someone else. It was already partially finished in black, and he's hoping not to have to strip and repaint it.

The person he's doing the car for is not a serious modelers such as the members of this group, so the model is intended only to be representative of an SP car, not an exact model, however, my friend doesn't want to letter it SP if they didn't have any black cars.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

     No black triple covered hoppers.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Brian Termunde

Spen;
Thank you EVER so much, that was exactly what I was looking for. I neglected to mention that we both tried looking on line, but for some reason, this didn't come up, so I...we appreciate the link!

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

7a. Black Southern Pacific 3-Bay Covered Hoppers?
From: Brian Termunde
7b. Re: Black Southern Pacific 3-Bay Covered Hoppers?
From: Spen Kellogg

Messages
7b. Re: Black Southern Pacific 3-Bay Covered Hoppers?
Posted by: "Spen Kellogg" spninetynine@... spenkellogg
Date: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:48 pm ((PST))

On 1/29/2017 2:03 PM, Brian Termunde GCRDS@... [STMFC] wrote:

> I have a friend who is doing a mid to late 1950's Espee three bay
> covered hopper for someone else. It was already partially finished in
> black, and he's hoping not to have to strip and repaint it.
>

> The person he's doing the car for is not a serious modelers such as
> the members of this group, so the model is intended only to be
> representative of an SP car, not an exact model, however, my friend
> doesn't want to letter it SP if they didn't have any black cars.
>
> I did think about asking about this on the SP group, but realized that
> I probably would only to be told to buy a certain $70 book, which is a
> very valuable reference and would be a great, and much welcomed
> addition to my library, is a regardless, bit expensive to answer one
> simple question!
>
> Okay, actually two questions, what would, if an appropriate similar
> car existed, would be a reasonable number series to use for it.

Brian,

Have your friend look at this web site:

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/spcars/index.htm

Covered hoppers were gray with red or black lettering. Subsequent to
1956 yellow lettering also appeared. I don't think they ever were
painted black.

Spen Kellogg

Tim O'Connor

There were black CB&Q Pullman Standard 2893's assigned to loading on the SP in Luning, Nevada.
Series 85050-85064. Athearn produced a model of these cars in one of their early 2893 runs.

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:

There were black CB&Q Pullman Standard 2893's assigned to loading on the SP in Luning, Nevada.
Series 85050-85064. Athearn produced a model of these cars in one of their early 2893 runs.

    I think the question was about black SP hoppers, not black CB&Q hoppers.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

George Courtney

Perhaps if the guy doesn't want to strip the paint, then he could letter it for the CB&Q and run it on an Espee layout?  Just reflecting.

George Courtney

Tim O'Connor

Tony

You probably were not paying attention Tony, so let me help you -

  "I have a friend who is doing a mid to late 1950's Espee three bay covered hopper for someone else.
      It was already partially finished in black, and he's hoping not to have to strip and repaint it. "

I provided information for someone who models the SP who does not want to strip and repaint
a model, but the model would still be completely appropriate for an SP modeler. Sorry for trying to
actually help someone, rather than regurgitating information that is widely available.

Tim O'Connor wrote:

Tony
You probably were not paying attention Tony, so let me help you -

       You evidently don't understand the original question (I have no idea how much attention you pay), so I have nothing to add.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

 >> I have nothing to add.
 >> Tony Thompson

Well, that much is certainly obvious. ;-)

Tim O'