Ammonia: was Scalecoat I and Scalecoat II and seemingly everything else under the sun

Bill Welch

FYI NONE of the Airbrush manufacturers recommend getting ammonia anywhere near one of their airbrushes.

Bill Welch

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 2/1/2017 2:37 PM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] wrote:

FYI NONE of the Airbrush manufacturers recommend getting ammonia anywhere near one of their airbrushes.

Bill,

Could you comment please on using a 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and distilled water?

Thanks, Spen Kellogg

Bill Welch

Sorry Spen, I could not even venture a guess. Are you thinking windshield washer contains ammonia? If so, I would steer clear. For those wanting to clean airbrushes and using water based Acrylic paints, go with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Very effective cleaner with acrylics.

Bill Welch

A&Y Dave in MD

I used the ultrasonic cleaner with Windex to clean the BRASS MODELS.  They are then rinsed well in distilled water.

I never said anything about using Windex with paint or airbrush.  Please be careful in reading what I wrote!

Dave

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 4:37 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Ammonia: was Scalecoat I and Scalecoat II and seemingly everything else under the sun

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

Windex contains ammonia. Ammonia weakens brass, and is often used to put
a dark patina onto brass. Brass bullet cartridges exposed to ammonia become
brittle and crack.

I soak brass in lacquer thinner (all "undec" brass models are actually painted
with clear lacquer) and then wash them in warm water with detergent. Stubborn
bits of lacquer are removed with the grit blaster.

Tim O'Connor

I used the ultrasonic cleaner with Windex to clean the BRASS MODELS. They are then rinsed well in distilled water. I never said anything about using Windex with paint or airbrush. Please be careful in reading what I wrote!
Dave

Tim O'Connor

Most WW fluid is a dilute of ethylene glycol and methanol, both fluids with low
freezing points and both quite poisonous. Methanol is a mild solvent. WW fluid is
an easy way to wash brake fluid off a model if you use that to strip it.

Tim O'

Could you comment please on using a 50/50 mix of windshield washer fluid and distilled water?
Thanks, Spen Kellogg

Aley, Jeff A

Bill,

Why not?  Should I infer that ammonia is potentially harmful to airbrushes (for the reasons that Tim O’Connor cited – that it attacks metals such as brass)?

Thanks,

-Jeff

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 1:37 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Ammonia: was Scalecoat I and Scalecoat II and seemingly everything else under the sun

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

It also attacks their plating as I understand it.

Bill Welch