USRA Composite Drop Bottom Gondolas

Paul Hillman

Thanks Jack, Couldn't locate any photos or plans. Looks good enough & logical to me. Yes there are some apparent metal straps on the doors & 2 small ones near each end.

Paul Hillman

Jack Mullen

My interpretation of the gen. arrangement dwg from the 1919 CBD is that there's no metal framing around the door.  There are two straps across the planks on each door, which appear to be the only metal members associated with the doors that would be visible on top of the floor.

Jack Mullen

Paul Hillman

I'm building a model of an Intermountain HO USRA Composite Drop Bottom Gondola and trying to paint-stain the interior floor. Some of the detail must represent metal but I can't find any info on it. Are there metal members around the drop-bottom doors? These would be painted different than the wood floors.

Thanks, Paul Hillman