CB&Q and Wilson reefers, circa 1919-1920

Eric Hansmann

Several images of a CB&Q reefer show up on today’s EL-Steamtown photo archive. I suspect these images were taken to document an accident, possibly in conjunction with the Milwaukee box car images that posted yesterday. Based upon some background details, it seems like this is the same location.

The images date is not specific, only noting a 1919-1920 period. The car does have a 6-19 reweigh stencil. I was wondering if this car, or others of this series, would become Western Fruit Express cars within a few years of these photographs.

Here are the links.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-24-17/X1416.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-24-17/X1417.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-24-17/X1418.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-24-17/X1419.jpg

Two days ago there were images of a Wilson reefer that has met something more robust. Part of a CB&Q automobile box car can be seen in the last image. It bears a 1-18 reweigh date.

Here are those links.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-22-17/X1407.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-22-17/X1408.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-02-22-17/X1409.jpg

Enjoy!

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

SUVCWORR@...

Not likely that they became part of Western Fruit Express.  CB&Q reefers became Burlington Reefer Express BREX.   WFEX was the Great Northern reefer subsidiary.

Rich Orr

[...]

Nelson Moyer

CB&Q 36000-36749 is a 40 ft. Class RM-6 refrigerator car built my Haskell & Barker in 1914. It had steel center sill, so it was given 40 ton cast T-section trucks and renumbered in the BREX 76000-76749 series in 1926.

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Thank you, Rich. I knew it was a Fruit Growers affiliate, but forgot that Burlington had formed an operation.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

[...]

Bill Welch

I have one photo from this group in BREX service—#76238 from CSRM. It has been reweighed in July 1938 at FGE's shops in Alexandria, VA. It retains its double board roof and Arch Bars trucks which is surprising as the FGE/WFE/BRE was pretty efficient in changing to new technology trucks. The gussets that connect the ends and sides along the bottom of the were larger by 1938 going all the way to the inner straps of the sill steps and all the way to the bottom forming a Trapezoid.

This group of cars was largely gone by WWII. Other BREX truss rod cars were in service after the war however. BTW BREX went into business in the summer of 1926.

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Eric Hansmann wrote:

Several images of a CB&Q reefer show up on today’s EL-Steamtown photo archive. I suspect these images were taken to document an accident, possibly in conjunction with the Milwaukee box car images that posted yesterday. Based upon some background details, it seems like this is the same location.

The images date is not specific, only noting a 1919-1920 period. The car does have a 6-19 reweigh stencil. I was wondering if this car, or others of this series, would become Western Fruit Express cars within a few years of these photographs.

   Presumably BREX, not WFEX.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Bill Welch

I meant to also say that AFAIK none of the BREX truss rod reefers were rebuild with the Hutchins type metal roof. This is based purely of photographic evidence.

Bill Welch

Gary Ray

Wonderful pictures.  I enjoyed looking at the surroundings (lots of ideas) as well as the cars and markings.  Thanks for sharing,

Gary Ray