Topics

Ban On Wood Running Boards

thecitrusbelt@...

I understand that in 1944 wood running boards banned on new freight cars, except tank cars (1948).
In what year were wood running boards banned for all existing freight cars?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

rwitt_2000

I am not sure of the date, but I believe sometime after the cut-off date for this Group.

I have many photos from the 1960s of box cars still with wood running boards and some had been recently shopped.

Bob Witt

Tim O'Connor

I don't think wood running boards were ever -specifically- banned.
All running boards on new house cars ended in 1966 and were eventually
mandated to be removed from all cars that did not require roof access
(like cars with roof hatches). The most recent photo I have view of a car
with a wood running board is a 1974 shot of NP 27306, built by ACF in 1941.
The car was repainted in NP's billboard paint with the 96" herald but the
wood running board remained in place!

Tim O'Connor