Topics

Ribbed-Back Wheels

thecitrusbelt@...

I seem to recall reading somewhere the industry term for the ribs was brackets. Is this correct or was the long-forgotten source incorrect?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

rhammill

In Martin Robert Karig III's book "Coal Cars: The First 300 Years" he uses the term on pg 165:

"The initial single-plate design (in 1928) did not include the brackets with which cast-iron wheels are often identified, but these were added in 1938 to reinforce the rim and the flange."And figure 6.34 on the prior page identifies it as a "bracket or rib."

The brackets were also on the earlier double-plate design that the single-plate design replaced.

Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

Tony Thompson

Randy Hammill quoted Bob Karig:

"The initial single-plate design (in 1928) did not include the brackets with which cast-iron wheels are often identified, but these were added in 1938 to reinforce the rim and the flange."And figure 6.34 on the prior page identifies it as a "bracket or rib."

The brackets were also on the earlier double-plate design that the single-plate design replaced.

      I made the same point in my article in _Model Railroad Hobbyist_ in the issue for September 2016. (you can read or download it for free at their websiste, www.mrhmag.com ). The term "arms" was also used for the ribs or brackets. I tried in that article, incidentally, to point out the many myths that have been circulated to explain why the ribs are there, and to give the factual reason: strengthening the wheel.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history