Topics

Westerfield S-40-1 stock car


Eric Hansmann
 

The latest Westerfield kit is featured on the Resin Car Works blog. Check out the build summary on a classic S-40-1 stock car.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/westerfield-s-40-1-stock-car/




Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy


Jon Miller
 

On 3/6/2017 6:23 AM, Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] wrote:
on the Resin Car Works blog

    Interesting new (?) name in paint.  Apparently not available on the west coast.  Mail order?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Bruce Smith
 

Jon,

Vallejo? It’s been around for years (since 1965).  It is mostly used by military modelers, so check out the local shops that cater to that crowd, like my local USA Hobbies.  I used the older non “air” formulation which requires massive thinning for airbrushing. It, and Model Master are the only hobby supplies available within 100 miles of me!  Vallejo is also making a very interesting line of weathering products.

Regards

Bruce


Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

https://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."



On Mar 6, 2017, at 8:58 AM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:



On 3/6/2017 6:23 AM, Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] wrote:
on the Resin Car Works blog

    Interesting new (?) name in paint.  Apparently not available on the west coast.  Mail order?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS




Jon Miller
 

On 3/6/2017 7:03 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] wrote:
 It is mostly used by military modelers, so check out the local shops that cater to that crowd

    A couple of good train shops withing 50 miles of me but no military that I know of.  Any mail order folks you know of?  I assume because of formula shipping is not a problem.  Also a site that shows colors/sizes/costs?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Nelson Moyer
 

Very nice build, Eric. That car has so much character, that I really wanted to get one until I checked the 1953 ORER and found that only eighty-two 36’ stock cars are listed for UP, one 35576, one 36357, and eighty 36752-38149. You didn’t give the series range for your car, but it probably fits in somewhere with the onesies, and not the eighties, meaning that I can’t justify one on my roster. That’s the down side of prototype modeling, i.e. it requires self-discipline and restraint.

By contrast, the CB&Q had 2699 37’ stock cars in 1953, so if you want to model stock trains of that era, it’s a good prototype, and even if you don’t model the CB&Q, it’s highly likely that at least one SM-16 or SM-18 would show up in your trains from time to time. The Q leased Mather stock cars, so while the Sunshine kits are no more, the P2K Mather cars lettered for CB&Q could be used for the occasional off road stock car.

Nelson Moyer

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 8:23 AM
To: 1914to1940RRingr@... <1914to1940RRing@...>; earlyrail@...; resinfreightcars@...; proto-layouts@...; STMFC YahooGroup <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Westerfield S-40-1 stock car



The latest Westerfield kit is featured on the Resin Car Works blog. Check out the build summary on a classic S-40-1 stock car.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/westerfield-s-40-1-stock-car/







Eric Hansmann
RCW web guy


Bill Welch
 

Just Google "Vallejo" and you will see their website plus numerous venders.

Bill Welch


Eric Hansmann
 

I've bought several different Vallejo paint colors through a little joint called Amazon.

Micro-Mark also offers many of the Model Air colors and they relabeled them to reflect Floquil and Polly-S colors. I bought several of those and was disappointed in the labeling. But an inexpensive color wheel helped me understand some basics and I typically add drops of other color to achieve my end results. For instance, my go-to mineral brown starts with a Burnt Umber and I add 10 drops of aged white to lighten the color. I covered some of this mixing in a recent blog post on car painting.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2017/02/18/fresh-paint/



Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX


On March 6, 2017 at 8:13 AM "Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:



On 3/6/2017 7:03 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] wrote:
 It is mostly used by military modelers, so check out the local shops that cater to that crowd

    A couple of good train shops withing 50 miles of me but no military that I know of.  Any mail order folks you know of?  I assume because of formula shipping is not a problem.  Also a site that shows colors/sizes/costs?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS



Ken Adams
 

Jon

I found Vallejo both Air and Model Color at a Hobby Lobby. Limited selection but basic colors. Check their hours as they may not be open on Sundays. I use the Vallejo Model Color when not going to all the trouble to set up an airbrush paint station (I live in a townhouse so not able to have a permanent in house air brush setup.) Model Color goes on very smooth with a good brush. Looking for the right match for SP Daylight Orange to use for touch up when I cannot set up for Star Brand spraying. 

Another store was Game Kastle which caters to the war game set but mostly in the South Bay.

Ken Adams
WC CA



frograbbit602
 

Jon one mail order place for Vallejo Model Air or Model Color is MicroMark.
Lester Breuer


Mark Stamm
 

Jon,

Vallejo has been around since I believe the 60's. MRH did an eBook on it and several other paints as replacements for Polly Scale. 

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

On Mar 6, 2017, at 9:58 AM, Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

On 3/6/2017 6:23 AM, Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] wrote:
on the Resin Car Works blog

    Interesting new (?) name in paint.  Apparently not available on the west coast.  Mail order?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS


Mark Stamm
 

Scale Hobbyist has better prices than Amazon. No connection just looking for the best value for my hobby dollar. 

http://mrhmag.com/scale-hobbyist-paint/vallejo

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

On Mar 6, 2017, at 10:27 AM, Eric Hansmann eric@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

 

I've bought several different Vallejo paint colors through a little joint called Amazon.

Micro-Mark also offers many of the Model Air colors and they relabeled them to reflect Floquil and Polly-S colors. I bought several of those and was disappointed in the labeling. But an inexpensive color wheel helped me understand some basics and I typically add drops of other color to achieve my end results. For instance, my go-to mineral brown starts with a Burnt Umber and I add 10 drops of aged white to lighten the color. I covered some of this mixing in a recent blog post on car painting.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2017/02/18/fresh-paint/



Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX


On March 6, 2017 at 8:13 AM "Jon Miller atsfus@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:



On 3/6/2017 7:03 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] wrote:
 It is mostly used by military modelers, so check out the local shops that cater to that crowd

    A couple of good train shops withing 50 miles of me but no military that I know of.  Any mail order folks you know of?  I assume because of formula shipping is not a problem.  Also a site that shows colors/sizes/costs?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS