Topics

BLI 6K Tank Car photos posted

Andy Cich

BLI has updated their website to include photos of the actual models.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/6000gallontankcar.aspx

Andy Cich

Tim O'Connor

ugh! pass. ymmv. to each their own.

Tim O'

BLI has updated their website to include photos of the actual models.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/6000gallontankcar.aspx

Andy Cich

"markstation01@yahoo.com <markstation01@...>

John Barry

The Ethyl cars look good!   Soon they will be transporting motor fuel anti-knock compound from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to North Bay refineries: Standard, Richmond via Santa Fe Shell, and Associated refineries in Martinez via the Port Chicago interchange with the SP.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

BLI has updated their website to include photos of the actual models.

Andy Cich

Bruce Smith

​Mark,

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

Ya know, when in doubt, you can alway google an abbreviation and find out pretty quickly what it means ;)

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

BLI has updated their website to include photos of the actual models.

http://www.broadway-limited.com/6000gallontankcar.aspx

Andy Cich

Matthew Dowd

Does anyone have any more information about the prototypes BLI chose? I'm curious to see if any of these cars would have been painted in other, more plain looking lease schemes such as GATC or UTLX. I was considering buying some of these models but the paint schemes aren't all that flattering in my opinion. Thanks in advance for the help

-Matthew Dowd

Jon Miller

    Those rivets on the ends seem rather bulky and the spacing seems off, are they correct?    The big picture just looks toy train like??????  I'm waiting for a review!
--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 6, 2017, at 10:31 PM, matt.dowd4@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Does anyone have any more information about the prototypes BLI chose? I'm curious to see if any of these cars would have been painted in other, more plain looking lease schemes such as GATC or UTLX. I was considering buying some of these models but the paint schemes aren't all that flattering in my opinion. Thanks in advance for the help

Matthew,
I’ll take a shot at answering your question.

Many, but not all, of the new BLI models are based on as-built cars in the schemes delivered from ACF’s Milton, Pa. plant. These follow the ACF paint specs as denoted in ACF bills of materials that are available for review at the Barriger National Railroad Library (a part of the St. Louis Mercantile Library).

A relatively few number of these prototype cars were plain-jane black with simple white stencils when delivered during the 1930s into the 1940s. The majority were painted in colorful schemes with numerous cars equipped with what ACF termed as "mud guards" to reduce the grime otherwise collected on the lower section of the jacket due to wheel splash. Other cars may have been repainted black at some later date, however, in-service photos have not yet been located to confirm this. If anyone has such photos, please make them available to BLI.

Several owners continued to paint their tank cars in colorful schemes for many years. Hooker consistently applied their colorful orange/white/black scheme during the span of the steam era. Other companies keeping their spiffy paint scheme were Pittsburgh Plate Glass (PPGX) and Southern Alkali (SACX), that in 1951 together became Columbia Southern. Similarly, the Ethyl Corp. (EBAX) cars for anti-knock compound were typically gray and black with colorful company trademarks.

Regarding GATX or UTLX, none of these Type 27 chlorine tank cars for were built for them. To become GATX or UTLX would have required the owner to sell the cars to these large tank car leasing companies, who in turn may have painted them in their normal black with white stencils (GATC) or yellow stencils (UTLX). Perhaps that occurred, but again in-service photos are needed to confirm.

The plain-jane black/white schemes would more likely be cars owned by Shippers’ Car Line (SHPX), who by the postwar era may have repainted some of their cars black with white stencils. Approximately 50 SHPX cars built in 1946-1947 for lease to Mathieson Chemicals were painted black with white stencils, but they were on long-term lease and lettered with relatively large Mathieson company graphics.

During the 1950s many of the PSMX Penn Salt cars went to Shippers’ Car Line, so the challenge is to locate photos of them.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Donald B. Valentine

     If BLI can't do better than what they have offered as photos of the new 6,000 gal.
tank cars they need to find a new photographer. Until then, or when I have one in
hand, my view is about the same as Tim O's. A well done Brown Co. car would be
a welcome addition to what is available in HO scale but the operative words here
are "well done". One cannot discern the quality of a model from photos that look
more like an artist's rendition.

Cordially, Don Valentine

James SANDIFER

If it is any help in your decision, I know one of our STMFC members was assisting them with this project, a tank car guy (not I).

J. Stephen Sandifer

On 3/7/2017 7:08 AM, 'Steve Sandifer' steve.sandifer@... [STMFC] wrote:
If it is any help in your decision, I know one of our STMFC members was assisting them with this project, a tank car guy (not I).

    This is good to know.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems,
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tim O'Connor

  > If it is any help in your decision, I know one of our STMFC members was
  > assisting them with this project, a tank car guy (not I).

Ed Hawkins has made no secret of his assistance. Ed will help any manufacturer
who asks for good prototype information - In this case, Broadway wanted information
on paint and lettering, as Ed has already posted here. And evidently BLI tried to
use the information effectively.

But a funky model with giant rivets, fat handrails, a 4" thick solid walkway. I'm
sorry, but park this blob next to a TANGENT tank car and you will not be happy with
the comparison.

My days of buying "toy" trains are long past.

Tim O'Connor

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

But a funky model with giant rivets, fat handrails, a 4" thick solid walkway. I'm
sorry, but park this blob next to a TANGENT tank car and you will not be happy with
the comparison.

   If you mean on the jacket, those are bolts, not rivets. Handrails, last time I checked, can be replaced (along with the heavy ladder). The walkway is pretty lame, there I agree. And full agreement with the comparison to Tangent models.
     It's kind of like the BLI releases of the NYC steel boxcars. Yeah, well short of great models, but we needed the cars. These BLI tank cars are very badly needed 6000-gallon insulated cars. Reminds me in a way of what we always used to say about Walthers (some still do): good news is that the model has been produced, bad news is that Walthers did it.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Tony

Granted, it is a size of tank car that is highly desirable!

But didn't TRIX previously try to render this car, and they ran into a lot
of flak here for their mistakes too?

That was Strike ONE. Now, Strike TWO.

It's time for somebody to hit a HOME RUN, I think.

I'm patient. I'm pretty sure that David Lehlbach (Tangent) is planning to do
some more good work building on that beautiful tank car tooling he's already
done. I can wait. There's plenty of stuff in the queue.

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor wrote:

But didn't TRIX previously try to render this car, and they ran into a lot
of flak here for their mistakes too?

    Yes though they were hindered by their seriously unusual truck-coupler-underframe design, not the least bit easy to fix. This one has far less warts, IMO. And I'm already looking at mods toward insulated ICC 103 and 104 cars of this size.

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

I wonder if some of the criticisms for the tank car might be muted when one realizes that it is a 6,000 gallon car. What looks oversized on this relatively small car might not be. Critics might be coming from a frame of reference based on 8,000 gallon, 10,000 gallon, and 11,000 gallon cars, and unconsciously seeing those features relative to the scale of the larger cars. In other words, what looks right on an 11,000 gallon car might look oversized on a 6,000 gallon car, even though it is the same size on both.

I'll withhold judgment until I have one in my hand.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

But didn't TRIX previously try to render this car, and they ran into a lot
of flak here for their mistakes too?

    Yes though they were hindered by their seriously unusual truck-coupler-underframe design, not the least bit easy to fix. This one has far less warts, IMO. And I'm already looking at mods toward insulated ICC 103 and 104 cars of this size.

Tony Thompson

brianleppert@att.net

Here's a Penn Salt tank photo from the Tacoma Public Library Northwest Room

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/11668/rec/1

Might be in the same series as BLI

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

brianleppert@att.net

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim and Friends,

I have asked Tangent to consider an ACF 10K high walkway Type 7 or 11. I've been lobbying various manufacturers for these for years. I have two of the 8K F&C cars, but really want a couple of 10s (the WP used them up until the end). This is a much needed car for the first half of the 20th century, made in the thousands for numerous owners, and very distinctive. Perhaps if some of you also asked Tangent, they might give this more consideration.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Tim O'Connor wrote:

But a funky model with giant rivets, fat handrails, a 4" thick solid walkway. I'm
sorry, but park this blob next to a TANGENT tank car and you will not be happy with
the comparison.

If you mean on the jacket, those are bolts, not rivets. Handrails, last time I checked, can be replaced (along with the heavy ladder). The walkway is pretty lame, there I agree. And full agreement with the comparison to Tangent models.

It's kind of like the BLI releases of the NYC steel boxcars. Yeah, well short of great models, but we needed the cars. These BLI tank cars are very badly needed 6000-gallon insulated cars. Reminds me in a way of what we always used to say about Walthers (some still do): good news is that the model has been produced, bad news is that Walthers did it.

Tony Thompson

gary laakso

Garth, who is the person to contact at Tangent and is there an e-mail address available for that person?

Gary Laakso
south of Mike Brock