From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 10:20 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Pennsy X29

Good morning:

I am hope someone on the list may know this information. I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre. I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler
Saint Louis, Missouri

mark_landgraf

‎Bob

According to a PRR plan sheet for ladders, the X29 has
The vertical Styles are 1-3/4 by 1-3/4 by 3/16
Outside to outside the ladder width is 20
The rungs have the rivet holes 18-1/4 apart
The rungs are 3/4 inch in diameter
The rivets fit into a 5/8 hole
The vertical spacing, rung to rung is 15-3/4

Hope this helps
Mark

I am hope someone on the list may know this information.  I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre.  I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler

Saint Louis, Missouri

Todd Horton

I think you mean the rivet heads are 3/4" in diameter, a 3/4" rivet isn't going into a 5/8" hole, at least not without a LOT of force.

Todd Horton

I am hope someone on the list may know this information.  I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre.  I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler
Saint Louis, Missouri

Todd Horton

My mistake, I saw rungs and that translated into rivets somehow.  I apologize for the error.

Todd Horton

I am hope someone on the list may know this information.  I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre.  I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler
Saint Louis, Missouri

mark_landgraf

No rivets are sold by their shank size. The head is usually almost twice the shank size. The drawing called out a 5/8 inch rivet. I had hoped to avoid this by ‎calling out the hole size. Scaling the rivet head vs. the rung diameter of 3/4, the rivet head is larger than the rung.

Mark

I think you mean the rivet heads are 3/4" in diameter, a 3/4" rivet isn't going into a 5/8" hole, at least not without a LOT of force.

Todd Horton

I am hope someone on the list may know this information.  I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre.  I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler
Saint Louis, Missouri

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

Thanks.

Bob Amsler

I am hope someone on the list may know this information.  I looking for the width of the ladders on Pennsy X29 box cars so I can get the correct ladder from Pierre.  I looked at the all steel book from Speedwitch and the drawings show the distance between the rungs but not the stiles.

Thanks,

Bob Amsler

Saint Louis, Missouri

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

Thanks, Nelson.  Very helpful article you wrote.

Bob Amsler

YMW ladder stiles are designated by rung spacing, not width. The width depends upon how long you're grab irons are, or you can select the etched rungs by length. I did a blog post on Resin Car Works Blog on building these ladders. You'll find it at http://blog.resincarworks.com/

Nelson Moyer