Topics

Southern Railway 1937 Box Car Herald Color in 1949

Ken Roth

I have just uploaded three files containing pictures of a wreck on the Siskiyou Line of the Southern Pacific near the California-Oregon border.  The year is around 1950.  My question is simple: what color should the herald be for this car built in 1937, which according to Speedwitch decals was originally painted with Aluminum color heralds?  I'm assuming that this car would have been repainted by the late 40's but would the herald be White by this time?  From black and white photos its really impossible to tell, so I'm looking for a Southern Rwy expert.

Thanks in advance,
Ken Roth

Tim O'Connor

That's an easy question to answer - the aluminum heralds were an earlier
style than the one in your photo. Therefore, it's white.

The color changed to white before the style changed - Ted includes both
white and aluminum versions of the early style. The white ones were being
applied to new cars in 1942, if not earlier.

Tim O'Connor

I have just uploaded three files containing pictures of a wreck on the Siskiyou Line of the Southern Pacific near the California-Oregon border.  The year is around 1950.  My question is simple: what color should the herald be for this car built in 1937, which according to Speedwitch decals was originally painted with Aluminum color heralds?  I'm assuming that this car would have been repainted by the late 40's but would the herald be White by this time?  From black and white photos its really impossible to tell, so I'm looking for a Southern Rwy expert.

Thanks in advance,
Ken Roth

Ken Roth

Thanks Tim.  Actually I hadn't noticed the herald was different in my pictures.  When I looked again this morning at the Speedwitch set, I realized Ted includes both the old style white herald and, thankfully, the later white herald that is needed for the repainted car in these pictures.

Ken Roth