Boiler Load On Flat Car

thecitrusbelt@...

From the Tacoma Public Library. 1948 Photo. Caption:

Two flatcars with boilers, Birchfield Boiler. Giant boilers wait on flatcars for shipment to Southern California. The largest will be installed in the new building of the General Petroleum Corp. of Los Angeles.The Birchfield Boiler facilities can be seen in the background. The plant was also completing an order for 25 large pressure tanks complete with copper heating coils for the US Army in addition to approximately 400 tank heaters for the army.

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/15644/rec/1798

This is a good boiler load reference photo for the boilers offered by Resin Car Works and previously discussed here:

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

​Bob,

Neat photo!  Flats are:

WP 2614, reweigh ORO 5-45.  Of interest are the stencil that probably denotes centerline loading issues and the chalk mark "Birchfield" just to the left of the WP.

ATSF ?07?5 (could be 30735), class Ft-?

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

Two flatcars with boilers, Birchfield Boiler. Giant boilers wait on flatcars for shipment to Southern California. The largest will be installed in the new building of the General Petroleum Corp. of Los Angeles.The Birchfield Boiler facilities can be seen in the background. The plant was also completing an order for 25 large pressure tanks complete with copper heating coils for the US Army in addition to approximately 400 tank heaters for the army.

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/15644/rec/1798

This is a good boiler load reference photo for the boilers offered by Resin Car Works and previously discussed here:

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Bruce, the first digit is definitely a 9 - because that is the only
possibility for a Santa Fe flat car at this time.

So 907x5 means that it is an Ft-P in series 90701-90850. These
were 50 foot flat cars built by ACF in 1930.

Tim O'Connor

Neat photo!  Flats are:

WP 2614, reweigh ORO 5-45.  Of interest are the stencil that probably denotes centerline loading issues and the chalk mark "Birchfield" just to the left of the WP.

ATSF ?07?5 (could be 30735), class Ft-?

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/15644/rec/1798

John Barry

Bruce,

With your partial read on the # it has to be 907x5 which would make it a Ft-P.  A 50 foot car built by AC&F in 1930.  All ATSF revenue flats in 1945 were in the 9xxxx series with the Ft-P numbered 90701-90850.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA