Topics

Early Mechanical Reefer: NPMX 500

thecitrusbelt@...

From the Tacoma Public Library. Caption:

A Northern Pacific Railway refrigerator car is stationary on tracks in a 1957 photograph requested by the Pacific Car & Foundry Co. All vital information regarding the boxcar is listed on its side, including weight, dimensions and capacity limits. Apparently this was a newly engaged car as of September, 1957.

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/1792/rec/1699

Use the slider above the photo to enlarge it.

The photo shows that the car owner is Pacific Car & Foundry and NP is the lessee. A Northern Pacific document, Status Of Authorities For Expenditure (http://www.nprha.org/NP%20AFE%20Index/NP_1960.pdf), shows that this car was approved for purchase by the railroad on 1-8-60 and this action was completed 12-30-59 (an after-the-fact authorization probably for tax purposes).

As this car appears to be a one-of-a-kind, what happened to it? I would think its relatively short, forty-foot nominal length contributed to an early demise, but that is just a guess.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Roger Hinman <rhinman11@...>

On Mar 9, 2017, at 12:44 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The NP originally ordered the car because they had shippers that wanted a shorter car. The car was stenciled with MDT reporting marks when delivered but as stated below would be acquired by the NP a few years later as there was little added value provided by MDT.

Roger Hinman

From the Tacoma Public Library. Caption:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Bob

I don't know about this particular car, but the NP bought 25 cars NPMX 501-525 that appear
to be more or less identical.

www.goo.gl/FyF2hG

Tim O'Connor

[...]

Todd Sullivan

I agree that there was more than one of them.  I  used to see them occasionally in Portland OR on the NPTCo when I clerked there in 1961-62.  One of my earliest kitbashes was modifying a Revell 40 ice reefer into one of these cars.  They were used for smaller loads of produce, fruit and probably beverages like beer (Olympia Beer, for example,).

Todd Sullivan

rwitt_2000

There is an interior photo of this car that I thought was the Armour reefer. The last two initials "MX" and road number 500 make it the NP mechanical reefer.

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/2147/rec/840

Bob Witt