Topics

Unusual tank car interior photo.

Robert Heninger

Group,

I submit for your consideration this photo:

It's not often you get an interior shot of a tank car. This shows the heater coils and bottom outlet to good effect. The car is at a soap company, so I imagine it was laden with "inedible byproducts" for soap production. I bet it smelled wonderful.

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Robert Heninger

Further on down, there is a shot of the outside of the car. I'm not a tank car expert, so I'll leave the ID as an exercise for someone more knowledgable than I.

Here's the link:

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Bill Welch

Notice the footholds mounted on the tank band and handholds on top of the car.

Bill Welch

Jon Miller

On 3/9/2017 12:51 PM, gn2059@... [STMFC] wrote:
This shows the heater coils and bottom outlet to good effect.

    I see a rag at the top of the photo.   Someone was inside wiping part sown for some reason.  Maybe so they could change the outlet without getting a bunch of that stuff on them.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tim O'Connor

Bob, according to my notes (from 8 years ago) this car was in FISH OIL service !!
I cannot imagine climbing down inside... Urf!

Tim O'Connor

Further on down, there is a shot of the outside of the car. I'm not a tank car expert, so I'll leave the ID as an exercise for someone more knowledgable than I.

Here's the link:

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/32607/rec/83

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Jim Betz

Hi,

So this picture and the one of the exterior of the same car got me to
thinking (often a dangerous thing!) ...

So you have your long ladder on the ground that gets you right up to
the dome. Then you take off the man way cover (correct term?) and
you are ready to go down into the car.
Is there a ladder inside the car? How do you get it clean enough to
avoid slipping and falling? If there isn't a ladder on the inside that is
fastened at the bottom how do you keep it from slipping out from
under you?
I see no evidence of a ladder for this purpose in the exterior shot.
But the guy certainly looks like he is climbing up on top of the dome
in order to go down into the tank. He's working alone!
I see a couple of drums/containers, some burlap bags, a shovel,
but no other tools what so ever. As in 'nothing that could be used
to replace/repair a faulty valve' (perhaps he has dropped them
inside the tank already?).

LBRX appears to be "Lyle Branchflower Company" - a Seattle based
company producing products related to fish oil. So it was probably
fish oil in that car! Not exactly hazardous - but as someone else
already pointed out "it probably was a smelly job". *G*
It is even possible that the guy on top of that car that was working
alone was an employee of the Lyle company and this photo may
have been taken at the siding that served the company. Their
plant seems to have been in Ballard right near the Ballard bridge.
(And to think I was driving around that area just last year. BTW -
there isn't anything in that area that looks like "an old brick
building" that might be where L.B. Co. was located.)

If you are ever in that area you can't go wrong by having a meal
at Ponti's near the Fremont St. bridge. Yummmmm!
- Jim B.

Jim Gates

While that would certainly be disgusting, I would rather do that than climb into a Chlorine tank car without breathing equipment, as shown in a couple of recently linked photos.

Jim Gates

On Thu, 3/9/17, Tim O'Connor @timboconnor [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bob, according to my notes (from 8 years ago) this car was
in FISH OIL
service !!

I cannot imagine climbing down inside... Urf!

Tim O'Connor

Charles Peck

Lower right corner of the interior photo shows the interior ladder.
It seems dirty enough to be permanently mounted but I cannot
be certain if mounted or portable.
Chuck Peck

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:43 PM, jimbetz jimbetz@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Allen Cain

Another application for this type of car is transporting coal tar pitch. I unloaded many of them at ALCOA Aluminum. The pitch was used to manufacture cathode and anodes for the aluminum smelter cells.  All of the plant pumps and piping had to be steam jacketed.

Allen Cain