Topics

HO Red Caboose Mather Meat Reefer kits

Andy Carlson

Hello-
I have 3 mint new old stock Red Caboose factory decorated Mather Meat Reefer kits which I am offering for purchase. All 3 are factory new, and have undisturbed, tissue wrapped contents.

RC 1014-2  M-I-D Packing Co Mather Meat Reefer MONX #1033
Same, RC  1014-3 MONX #1036
Same, RC 1014-5 1014-5 MONX #1044

I also have 2 with some modest shelf wear on the boxes.
RC 1001-d M.R.R.X. #2641 Mather Meat Reefer
RC 1005-4 Morrell #2765 Mather Meat Reefer

Offered at $19 each. Shipping is $2.85 and up. I accept checks and money orders. for a small fee I also accept PayPal.

There is some doubt that the new owners of Red Caboose, Intermountain Railway Co., will ever offer these cars in the future, as I have had explained to me that IM feels that they have "too many wood reefers".
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Andy Carlson

Sorry, I overlooked adding "Please respond Off-List to me at ".
-Andy

[...]

Barry Kenner

Hello Andy,
       I would like the first three if still available. Thanks, Barry

[...]

Fred Jansz

There is some doubt that the new owners of Red Caboose, Intermountain Railway Co., will ever offer these cars in the future, as I have had explained to me that IM feels that they have "too many wood reefers".

Which might be true, but what worries me more is that the tooling of the wood (PFE) reefers is not OK.
Why? Missing is the L-shaped steel strip that holds the bottom of the wooden boards to the frame. This L-shape is fastened with nuts & bolts. Also the steel reinforcement strips on the ends are missing. I cannot understand why RC just skipped an obvious eye-catching detail like that.
RC tries to simulate this L-shape with a thick black plastic strip - I never knew why it was there at all. Now I know it's supposed to be the bottom part of the L-strip. The top-part with the N&B detail is just left out at all.
Sunshine & Tichy wooden (PFE) reefers posess this detail and I sure hope RC/IM will seriously reconsider their tooling when they offer a new wooden reefer in the future. So we can all benefit from obvious detail that's not present at this moment. I've built and rebuilt quite a few wooden RC reefers, but since I know the detail described above is missing, I regard them as obsolete... Yes, a rivet counter I am.