USRA Composite Gons Cut Levers

Paul Hillman

I'm building some Intermountain USRA Composite Drop Bottom Gons. Nice kits, but there are no uncoupling cut levers in the kit or reference to them. I've searched for photos of the prototypes but found none showing them.

Anybody know about them?

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Eric Hansmann

There are an amazing number of operating handles and lifting levers associated with Carmer hardware installations. I'm not near my data, but I think there were 21 operating handles and 22 lifting levers. From PRR applications I was able to determine the handle/lever combination that was used by the USRA composite gondolas, which were PRR class G24. IIRC, these cars used a combination that was not the same as the other USRA cars.

I would recommend the HO scale Yarmouth Model Works etched metal sets as a robust detail part for your work. I have soldered these parts to an 0.020-inch brass or phosphor bronze wire to install on an end sill. There are some bends to make so the parts could operate without hitting an end sill grab or the brake hardware. I can't recall prototype photo locations at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

On March 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM "chris_hillman@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I'm building some Intermountain USRA Composite Drop Bottom Gons. Nice kits, but there are no uncoupling cut levers in the kit or reference to them. I've searched for photos of the prototypes but found none showing them.

Anybody know about them?

Thanks, Paul Hillman

naptownprr

Eric,

Thanks for posting the pictures from the RPM East meeting.  There were some fine models exhibited.

Jim Hunter

On March 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM "ch! ris_hillman@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I'm building some Intermountain USRA Composite Drop Bottom Gons. Nice kits, but there are no uncoupling cut levers in the kit or reference to them. I've searched for photos of the prototypes but found none showing them.

Anybody know about them?

Thanks, Paul Hillman

Nelson Moyer

Be sure to download the Carmer drawings from the YMW site. They will be helpful during the bending process. There is also a prototype usage sheet to download that gives the various combinations of operating handles and lift levers. There are no instructions on bending or attaching. I used nbw castings by drilling a hole at the mounting location and inserting the nbw stud through the lever and into the hole.

Nelson Moyer