From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:40 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] CGW PS-0 car kit

Hi all,
I'm building F&C kit 6351, the welded 'PS-0' car w. 6 panel Superior door and 9 rib end panels, either UP or CGW. I chose for the Chicago Great Western lettering, since I own a few UP cars already. In 'my year' 1950 there were 49 of these CGW cars, numbered 90000-90049.
Searched the web, but can't find any prototype info. The kit's instructions mention box car red paint. I wonder if that is for body only, trucks and underframe being black?
Also: which type of end brake gear and trucks were used for this class?

Your help is appreciated.

best regards, Fred Jansz

Clark Propst

Please contact me off list and I’ll provide the needed data.

Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

brianleppert@att.net

The trucks you want for this car are Tahoe Model Works' TMW-108/208, Coil-Elliptic 50-ton Trucks.  See
resincarworks.com/tahoe.htm

Brian Leppert
Tahoe Model Works
Carson City, NV

Fred Jansz

Thank you all for your help. Handbrake is Klasing, trucks ASF double truss spring plankless (according to builders photo & diagram). Underbody and trucks black, body BCR.
cheers, Fred

Fred Jansz

One more if I may. Does anyone know the brake arrangement of these early 'PS-0' cars? I followed the underbody drawing of the F&C instructions which shows the AB-brake arrangement in the usual way: AB-valve opposite to the reservoir.

However, when I turned the page I saw a picture of a B&LE 'PS-0' that shows cylinder, AB-valve and resevoir all on one side of the car next to each other.
What would be the correct brake gear arrangement for the CGW-version I'm building?
Thanks.
Fred Jansz

Ted Culotta

Fred,

You can contact the Illinois Railway Museum's library run by Ted Anderson to see if the have the brake arrangement drawing.

Cheers,
Ted Culotta

Tim O'Connor

Every photo seems to show a different arrangement - I have TC, NKP, MRS photos.

If you can check Mainline Modeler, February 1988, p.40-45 John Nehrich's "PS-0"
article w/ drawings and a builder photo of CGW #90017

Tim O'Connor

One more if I may. Does anyone know the brake arrangement of these early 'PS-0' cars? I followed the underbody drawing of the F&C instructions which shows the AB-brake arrangement in the usual way: AB-valve opposite to the reservoir.

However, when I turned the page I saw a picture of a B&LE 'PS-0' that shows cylinder, AB-valve and resevoir all on one side of the car next to each other.
What would be the correct brake gear arrangement for the CGW-version I'm building?
Thanks.
Fred Jansz

Fred Jansz

Thanks Ted, could do that indeed. Owever, I studied the picture of CGW 90036 and I'm quite sure the brake gear parts like reservoir, AB valve and cylinder are all situated on the L-side of the car.
Normally you'd see the reservoir hanging on the R-side of the car, just right of the door, which is not the case on this picture of CGW 90036. All the gear is hung on the other side of the center sill.
best regards,
Fred 'WP' Jansz

radiodial868

I've come across similar cars from my 1939 modeled era in images. All were K brakes originally that were retrofitted to AB brakes. I guess when you think about, why cut holes in the center sill to run piping when you could just stick the components on the same side. My latest was a GN 40' 30000 series DS.
Usual arrangement seems to be in a diagonal, with the cylinder being forward of where the K brake was next to the sill, the reservoir next (towards the A end), and the control valve last next to the side sill.
RJ Dial
Burlingame, CA