Topics

REA Express Reefer In Freight Train

thecitrusbelt@...

This is another photo link from the Chicago and North Western Railway Archives Art Collections.

It shows an REA express reefer mixed in with non-express reefers. Assuming this express reefer was loaded, how often would such reefers appear in freight trains rather than in passenger trains?

https://pixels.com/featured/freight-train-crosses-high-bridge-1959-chicago-and-north-western-historical-society.html

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ted Schnepf

Hi Bob,

I believe the train is westbound, so the car might be empty or have a back haul of some sort.

ted

At 03:27 PM 4/6/2017, you wrote:

This is another photo link from the Chicago and North Western Railway Archives Art Collections.

It shows an REA express reefer mixed in with non-express reefers. Assuming this express reefer was loaded, how often would such reefers appear in freight trains rather than in passenger trains?

https://pixels.com/featured/freight-train-crosses-high-bridge-1959-chicago-and-north-western-historical-society.html

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
railsunl@...
847-697-5353
126 Will Scarlet
Elgin, Ill. 60120
http://RailsUnlimited.ribbonrail.com/

Model Railroad Sales and Service with
a personal touch.
Books new and used.  HO and O scales.
DCC supplies. O scale urethane cars.
Photos and darkroom services.
Checks, cash (0%) or credit (secure server at web site 5% added).

Anspach Denny <danspachmd@...>

That beautiful photo is on the Kate Shelley bridge west of Boone, IA, a bridge still in place but bypassed in recent years in favor of a new bridge nearby. Reportedly, a major reason for the replacement was the corrosion caused by decades of passing ice reefers dripping brine down through the ties onto the bridge girders!

The new replacement bridge is made up largely from deck girders salvaged from the much, much newer abandoned Milwaukee Road bridge not far away. That bridge in turn was built by the Corps of Engineers for the Milwaukee when they dammed the Des Moines River after the War and forced track realignment.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864

rwitt_2000

Ted,

Did you account for left-hand running on the CNW?

Bob Witt

Ted Schnepf

Hi Bob,

Being a right handed railroader for my working career, I over looked that point on the CNW. Camera is looking west, so probably a eastbound loaded train.

railsunl@sbcglobal.net