Topics

Packing Journal Boxes

rwitt_2000

We often discuss the topic of journals, etc. here is a PRR document ca. 1944 describing how to pack them. It seems to cover most of the typical journal sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192155761671?ul_noapp=true

Bob Witt

Randy Hees

There are some museums that use solid Babbit bearings regularly and are not scared of them....  The system calls for a decent bearing and journal, and packing that is turned "inward" so thread are unlikely to be pulled between the babbit and the journal.  The coils shown in the drawing would do exactly that.

Randy Hees
Director, Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City
(where we regularly operate cars with solid bearings.... and who sometimes repacks them)