Topics

color MDT reefers in the '40s

ed_mines

Ted's new reefer book says - "Like many other cars illustrated herein, it was painted with orange sides, the MDT- standard for cars painted in the 1930s and through the 1950s.........." (page 49).

I recall Roger Hinman said the same thing in his book (currently in my storage locker).

Aren't there several Jack Delano color photos taken in Chicago during WWII that show several lemon yellow sided, wooden MDT reefers?

Has Roger passed?

Were there any 1940s era 40ft ice reefers with school bus yellow (mostly yellow with a little orange)?

Ed Mines

Benjamin Hom

Ed Mines asked:
"Ted's new reefer book says - "Like many other cars illustrated herein, it was painted with orange sides, the MDT- standard for cars painted in the 1930s and through the 1950s.........." (page 49).

I recall Roger Hinman said the same thing in his book (currently in my storage locker).

Aren't there several Jack Delano color photos taken in Chicago during WWII that show several lemon yellow sided, wooden MDT reefers?"

It would help immensely if you could reference the photos in question.  The entire collection is available online.

"Has Roger passed?"

Roger is not dead - he's a member of this list.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

ed mines wrote:

Aren't there several Jack Delano color photos taken in Chicago during WWII that show several lemon yellow sided, wooden MDT reefers?

Orange did fade toward yellow. A photo of an orange car in service for some time cannot be definitive on this color.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:48 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] color MDT reefers in the '40s

Ed Mines asked:
"Ted's new reefer book says - "Like many other cars illustrated herein, it was painted with orange sides, the MDT- standard for cars painted in the 1930s and through the 1950s.........." (page 49).

Aren't there several Jack Delano color photos taken in Chicago during WWII that show several lemon yellow sided, wooden MDT reefers?"

It would help immensely if you could reference the photos in question. The entire collection is available online.
https://www.loc.gov/collections/fsa-owi-color-photographs/about-this-collection/

"Has Roger passed?"

Ben Hom

ed_mines

Thanks Don.

So some of you think the sides of the reefers in those photos have faded from orange to yellow?

Ed Mines

Bruce Smith

Of course - "our companies" - FGE, etc...

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Ed Mines askes:
Were there any 1940s era 40ft ice reefers with school bus yellow (mostly yellow with a little orange)?

Tim O'Connor

Speaking of MDT reefers, were the MLKX reefers with double sheathed
sides, steel dreadnaught ends and steel roofs clones of the MDT reefers
or were they second hand, or what?

Thanks!

Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor

The Delano photos and another photo I grabbed from Ebay (with good color rendering)
show yellowish cars but it could be fading. All later photos (1950s+) are definitely
a mild orange, slightly darker than NP reefers for example but more subdued than PFE.

Tim O'

Orange did fade toward yellow. A photo of an orange car in service for some time cannot be definitive on this color.

Tony Thompson

ROGER HINMAN

Yes, I'm still alive

If you go to the LOC collection and do a search on "South Water Street Chicago", and look at the fifth photo down titled "

General view of part of the South Water Street Illinois Central Railroad freight terminal, Chicago, Ill.

you will see a striking example of a freshly painted MDT car next to a few that have weathered, a portion of this picture was in my book on pg 142

Roger Hinman

To: STMFC
Sent: Sat, Apr 15, 2017 4:31 pm
Subject: RE: [STMFC] color MDT reefers in the '40s

MDT reefers are shown in https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsac.1a34776/ and https://www.loc.gov/resource/fsac.1a34780/

Don Burn

Sent: Saturday, April 15, 2017 3:48 PM
To: STMFC@...

Ed Mines asked:

It would help immensely if you could reference the photos in question. The entire collection is available online.
https://www.loc.gov/collections/fsa-owi-color-photographs/about-this-collection/

"Has Roger passed?"

Ben Hom

D. Scott Chatfield

While you might call it a slightly orangish yellow as opposed to lemon yellow, those cars are definitely not orange.

Scott Chatfield

ed_mines

indeed!

Roger, glad you're still with us.

you're referring to the second photo Don Burns references, right? Which car is freshly painted?

This batch of color photos retains red color - check out the border of the clock in the photo with the ends of 5 box cars.

Ed Mines

ROGER HINMAN

The photo I'm referring to is LC-USW36-603 taken by Delano in Apr 43; there are four met cars side by side:

ERDX 9149, MDT 6382, MDT 17424, MDT 5242; MDT 6382 is the car that is freshly painted. The car was just over six years old at this time but had been released in late 1936 in the "white" scheme.

To: STMFC
Sent: Sun, Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm

indeed!

Roger, glad you're still with us.

you're referring to the second photo Don Burns references, right? Which car is freshly painted?

This batch of color photos retains red color - check out the border of the clock in the photo with the ends of 5 box cars.

Ed Mines

D. Scott Chatfield

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsac.1a34780/

Pretty clear the color was yellow then.  While dirty, the overall carbody color matches the fresh paint patches.

Scott Chatfield

Bruce Smith

​Here is a link to the photo I think that Roger is describing. http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsac.1a34785/

The new car is clearly orange, although slightly more towards the yellow than the daylight orange of PFE.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2017 5:05 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] color MDT reefers in the '40s    

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsac.1a34780/

Pretty clear the color was yellow then.  While dirty, the overall carbody color matches the fresh paint patches.

Scott Chatfield

Tim O'Connor

The last one, MDT 5242 - is 5721.

Also let's all try to remember this is a SCANNED image from FILM. So the
apparent "color" isn't gospel. The photos overall have a kind of "washed
out" look to them, so I'm not sure that all spectra were treated equally.

Tim O'Connor

Roger Hinman wrote :
The photo I'm referring to is LC-USW36-603 taken by Delano in Apr 43; there are four met cars side by side:
ERDX 9149, MDT 6382, MDT 17424, MDT 5242; MDT 6382 is the car that is freshly painted. The car was just over six years old at this time but had been released in late 1936 in the "white" scheme.

Fred Jansz

And the scanned gov image is from a COPY of the original as you can see in the gov description. So there might be two color shifts; one of the film used to copy the original, one of the scanners profile. But I guess they know what they're doing, this is not an amateurs work.
I've ran all MDT color shots through Photoshop to get a kind of 'even' color while maintaining the 'perception' of a real life view (regarding sky an materials like stone, track, etc) and IMHO it's not the ususal PFE or Daylight orange. It resembles it but has a tad more yellow in it.
Fred Jansz

Bill Welch

Too bad there is not an accurate model of MDT's most numerous wood-sheathed reefer.

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

or the later DESPATCH steel reefers :-(

Too bad there is not an accurate model of MDT's most numerous wood-sheathed reefer.

Bill Welch