Topics

Cabooses - Cabeese? NYC boxcar rebuilds.

Seth Lakin

Dennis wrote:
NYC rebuilt from boxcars during WWII...the class of boxcar they started with is almost (identical to) the new Accurail kit... it seems the easiest course of action would be to remove the sides entirely and replace them with Evergreen styrene "car siding." The channel side sill could be built up from styrene strip. Grandt Line has a selection of "camp car windows" that may be useful.
Exactly what I am working on right now. There were three versions that were rebuilt. One has the side doors with solid ends sometimes called a work train caboose or rider car. The other two had vestibule ends and opened steel ends, one with three side and no end window, the other only two side windows with a end window on the inside of the vestibule.

I have copies of NYC drawings for two of these versions. Titchy/Grandt Line outfit car windows are exactly the same size. Use the rectangle windows with vertical glazing bars removed for the sides and the square ones for the ends of the side door caboose.

While not specified in the drawings but hints that the cars received AB brakes at some time, which my models have.

What I was not able to locate is how many of each conversion was done, the series and how long they lasted. Either way look forward to my documentation of my conversions in a future NYCentral Modeler.

Also planned amid a large pile of other projects is using the Accurail 36' fishbelly frame to model a 20100 series lot 732 caboose.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Ray Breyer

Hi guys,

The Nickel Plate also had two groups of cabooses built from Accurail's 36-footers. 37 "rider cars" with no vestibules, and 57 true cabooses. The NKPHTS issued a resin model of the rider cars a couple of years ago, and both cars have been offered in brass in various scales.

Kitbashing the cabooses will be a challenge. Since the corrugated steel ends were fully visible, any modeling attempt will have to include thinning those parts as much as possible to get a realistic cross section. It's a real challenge; one that I should probably attempt some day, but will probably hold off on for a few years (these cars weren't built until 1943, and so are ten years newer than my prime focus).

The wood-ended Accurail shorty does open up a few other modeling opportunities for home-brew cabooses. Off the top of my head, the AC&Y, W&LE, and CGW all had similar cars, and I'm sure that dozens of other roads did too.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

> NYC rebuilt from boxcars during WWII...the class of boxcar they started with is almost (identical to) the new Accurail kit... it seems the easiest course of action would be to remove the sides entirely and replace them with Evergreen styrene "car siding." The channel side sill could be built up from styrene strip. Grandt Line has a selection of "camp car windows" that may be useful.

Exactly what I am working on right now. There were three versions that were rebuilt. One has the side doors with solid ends sometimes called a work train caboose or rider car. The other two had vestibule ends and opened steel ends, one with three side and no end window, the other only two side windows with a end window on the inside of the vestibule.

I have copies of NYC drawings for two of these versions. Titchy/Grandt Line outfit car windows are exactly the same size. Use the rectangle windows with vertical glazing bars removed for the sides and the square ones for the ends of the side door caboose.

While not specified in the drawings but hints that the cars received AB brakes at some time, which my models have.

What I was not able to locate is how many of each conversion was done, the series and how long they lasted. Either way look forward to my documentation of my conversions in a future NYCentral Modeler.

Also planned amid a large pile of other projects is using the Accurail 36' fishbelly frame to model a 20100 series lot 732 caboose.

Seth Lakin
Michigan City IN

Posted by: Seth Lakin <lakinsa@...>

<*> Your email settings: