Two Quest

John Barry

Jared,
You need not remove the straight line map or slogan from the other side as all of the steel box cars repainted after the introduction of the scheme, including the Bx-27s, were repainted that way. What the prototype did have that the IM model doesn't is the Duryea underframe. Most noticeable are the extended coupler pockets. The tabs are different than the standard ARA cars, then the underframe itself. Speedwitchmedia sells a Duryea underframe as a separate detail. Extended coupler pockets are the first order modification. Altering the tabs, second order, and fitting a replacement underframe gives you the full Monty.

I found all three classes of Duryea box cars coupled together in the background of a Santa Fe photo documenting the Ft-N modified to carry B-29 wings in the CSRM collection. Three increasing heights, distinctive tabs and wearing the Grand Canyon slogan on the Bx-26 and 27 with the SL map on the Bx-34. The photo was taken August 12, 1943. Close enough to May that others were likely repainted by then.

John

John Barry
Lovettsville VA

On April 21, 2017, at 8:55 PM, "Jared Harper harperandbrown@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

1.  I acquired a box car (It looks like an IM model.)  It is lettered for Santa Fe with a herald on the left, and a straight line map on the right.  It has a 7-panel door and a Bx-27 designation.  It has 4/5 ends.  In my Santa Fe  box car book there are photos of the Bx-27 but with corrugated doors but without the map.  If I replaced the 7-panel door with a corrugated one with the right number of corrugations and deftly removed the map would this model work as a stand-in at least for the Bx-27?

2.  I have a Micro-Scale set 87-840 Hazardous Materials Placards.   Are these placards correct for my May 1943 modeling era?

Thanks.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Tim O'Connor

Also the Bx-27 doors had "Camel" [?] door latches - a lever in the lower left hand corner of the door
that sits at a 45 degree angle, and has a small "arc" that holds/guides the lever as it is moved. Both the IMWX
and IM doors have a different style latch. I don't think anyone makes a door with this latch even though it
was quite common. I've tried modeling these but only crudely because they are so small with fine detail.

Unfortunately vendors seem to think the only thing that matters on a door is the rib pattern...

Tim O'Connor

[...]

John,

Thanks for the info.  Will I see you at Collinsville?

Jared

John Barry

Jared,

Not this year.  I'll be in Tulsa for the SFRH&MS.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

Thanks for the info.  Will I see you at Collinsville?

Jared

Fred_Swa@...

Is this the fixture?  http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/p103-1932-ara-box-car-doors-with-early-camel-roller-lift-fixtures/
 While I was on Ted's site I noyiced I noticed Focus on Freight Cars 10 is at the printer.
Fred Swanson

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

Also the Bx-27 doors had "Camel" [?] door latches - a lever in the lower left hand corner of the door
that sits at a 45 degree angle, and has a small "arc" that holds/guides the lever as it is moved. Both the IMWX
and IM doors have a different style latch. I don't think anyone makes a door with this latch even though it
was quite common. I've tried modeling these but only crudely because they are so small with fine detail.

Unfortunately vendors seem to think the only thing that matters on a door is the rib pattern...

yep