URTX 67806 (Meat Reefer)

thecitrusbelt@...

The information below is from the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society/Southern California Chapter's Rail Giant's website (http://www.railgiants.org/index.htm).

This particular car was leased to multiple owners over its lifetime. I wonder how common this was for similar cars. The information seems to imply that the car was not always a RSM class refrigerator car so perhaps it was a class RS (produce reefer) at one time before the meat rails were installed.

From the website:

The Union Refrigerator Transit Line operated this car which was built by the General American Transportation Corporation in 1950. The car carried the CMStP&P herald (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad) until 1962 when the car was reclassed as "RSM" with meat rails and a large sliding door replaced the original hinged doors. The car received a new yellow paint job and a large "OSCAR MAYER" logo. A year later the car was repainted the Hiawatha Orange, numbered URTX 67806 and assigned to the "CUDAHY" Packing Company. Its final service was to the "SWIFT" Company and was donated to the Chapter in 1991.

Photo Link:

http://www.railgiants.org/images/explore/ice%20cooled/001.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Douglas Harding

Bob the car was owned by Union Refrigerator Transit, not anyone else. URTC was a major supplier of leased reefers, that was their business. If it was a long term lease, as in the Milwaukee from 1950 to 1962, long term leases often called for the cars to be painted for the lessee. Other leases could be much shorter, some as short as a month or two, when a shipper was short cars or a crop was being harvested. A short term lease car would wear a standard URTX p/l scheme. So yes the car could have been leased to many different users through its life. It would also be repainted, renumbered, even repaired or modified by URTC to meet the demands of the lessee

The 1953 ORER shows no Milwaukee reefers, of any kind. And it shows URTC 67806 in 1953 was a 37’ RSM reefer, probably a wood car.

The 1960 ORER shows URTC 67806 was a 43’ RSM. Which indicates URTC renumbered or replaced cars.

Photos of 67000 series cars can be seen in Gene Green’s Color Refrigerator Car book, which look similar to the photo you linked.

RS is the AAR Car Code to indicate it was a bunker refrigerator car equipped with ice bunkers. Designed primarily for use of chunk ice and with or without means of ventilation.

RSM was a RS equipped with meat rails.

RS cars could be used to transport meat and packing house products, esp boxed or canned PHP. The meat rails merely means the car was equipped for hanging meat, ie carcasses.

RA Brine-Tank refrigerator. Equipped with insulation and brine-tanks. Designed primarily for the combined use of crushed ice and salt and usually without ventilating devices. Used chiefly for meats and packing-house products.

RAM was a Brine-Tank car with meat rails.

There is nothing in the AAR codes that designates a reefer as a produce reefer.

This particular car was leased to multiple owners over its lifetime. I wonder how common this was for similar cars. The information seems to imply that the car was not always a RSM class refrigerator car so perhaps it was a class RS (produce reefer) at one time before the meat rails were installed.

From the website:

The Union Refrigerator Transit Line operated this car which was built by the General American Transportation Corporation in 1950. The car carried the CMStP&P herald (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad) until 1962 when the car was reclassed as "RSM" with meat rails and a large sliding door replaced the original hinged doors. The car received a new yellow paint job and a large "OSCAR MAYER" logo. A year later the car was repainted the Hiawatha Orange, numbered URTX 67806 and assigned to the "CUDAHY" Packing Company. Its final service was to the "SWIFT" Company and was donated to the Chapter in 1991.

Photo Link:

http://www.railgiants.org/images/explore/ice%20cooled/001.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

rwitt_2000

I looked in the photos I have for a similar URTX reefers and cannot find any. Reefer similar to this one were probably built new in the 1950s with 3-3 dart naught ends and horizontal side seams and Duryea underframes and poorly modeled by Walthers ~20 years ago. However, URTX 67806 doesn't appear to have a Duryea underframe.

URTX 67806 could a rebuild of their "standard" 40-ft wood reefer with steel underframes. Many received replacement steel ends and roofs and some received sliding doors, but 67806 may have received a new all-steel superstructure dropped on a re-enforced underframe.

The car fleet for URTX maybe as complicated as that for the FGE and companies. I will be interested in what others can share.

Bob Witt

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <rwitt_2000@...> wrote :

I looked in the photos I have for a similar URTX reefers and cannot find any. Reefer similar to this one were probably built new in the 1950s with 3-3 dart naught ends and horizontal side seams and Duryea underframes and poorly modeled by Walthers ~20 years ago. However, URTX 67806 doesn't appear to have a Duryea underframe.
====================

The Illinois Railway Museum has these cars on the property: URTX 66219, 66221, 66234, and 66244, all of which appear to match the car we are talking about. Their roster claims they were built bu General American in 1954. Some still show visages of the Oscar Meyer logo. These cars are not part of the collection, but were acquired as parts storage space. More info here:

Dennis Storzek

Tim O'Connor

Dennis those all appear to be significantly different looking rebuilds than
this car - and I could be wrong but they all appear to be 36 foot cars! (I know
the web site says they are 40 feet long but they sure don't look like it to me.
Maybe an optical illusion because the doors aren't as tall?)

I sent Bob Witt a photo of URTX 63648, a Dubuque meat reefer that appears to
be identical to URTX 67806 except that 63648 has side sill tabs. The draft gear
on both cars appears to extend out from the end sill - just as it would on any
car with a Duryea underframe.

Tim O'

I looked in the photos I have for a similar URTX reefers and cannot find any. Reefer similar to this one were probably built new in the 1950s with 3-3 dart naught ends and horizontal side seams and Duryea underframes and poorly modeled by Walthers ~20 years ago. However, URTX 67806 doesn't appear to have a Duryea underframe.
====================

The Illinois Railway Museum has these cars on the property: URTX 66219, 66221, 66234, and 66244, all of which appear to match the car we are talking about. Their roster claims they were built bu General American in 1954. Some still show visages of the Oscar Meyer logo. These cars are not part of the collection, but were acquired as parts storage space. More info here:

http://www.irm.org/roster/freight.html

Dennis Storzek

http://www.railgiants.org/images/explore/ice%20cooled/001.jpg

ROGER HINMAN

There were two different types of cars built by GA in 1954. A fairly large order of 15000 series cars for Swift which were meant to replace the little red wooden cars and had a similar IL of 29" and change. There was a smaller lot of forty foot plus cars built for URTX with plug doors. Almost all of the post WW2 GA cars I have seen at museums have had the tabbed side sills replaced with a full length side sill.

Roger Hinman

[...]

I agree with Tim these cars, URTX 66219, 66221, 66234, and 66244, look shorter and appear to resembled those in the 15000 series and originally built for Swift per Roger's post.

Bob Witt

destorzek@...

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

Dennis those all appear to be significantly different looking rebuilds than
this car - and I could be wrong but they all appear to be 36 foot cars! (I know
the web site says they are 40 feet long but they sure don't look like it to me.
Maybe an optical illusion because the doors aren't as tall?)

Tim, I think you are correct. The original car in question has ten roof panels, plus the two panels with the hatches. The cars at IRM have nine plus two. By this time everyone's roof panels seem to have standardized at 41" wide (IIRC) and a few inches difference in each corner panel would make up the other seven or so inches. Sorry if I led anyone astray.

Dennis Storzek