Mystery car

mwbauers

Can someone look up the original RR that owned the about 36-foot cast drop bottom flatcar that spent its last years as HCMX-4403 in the Harnischfeger Milwaukee plant??

It was scrapped a few years ago and looked like it was maybe pre-war era.

I got lots of pictures of her with repair plates and a flood of cut off load supports on her. The weathering from that is a mind blower.

Harnischfeger must have used her for many years to ship the larger sections of their mining shovels to the customer.

I suspect it to be post WW-1 of one of the local RR's. The corporation is just to the south of the main Milwaukee Road shops and the CNW runs through the middle of the property.

Mike Bauers

Bruce Smith

Mike,

Ya know, it’s helpful to post an image or a link… and the funning thing is, GOOGLE found it right away:

That looks like a GSC 90 ton flat, similar to those used by the NH, NYC, SOUTHERN and  a number of other roads.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Apr 23, 2017, at 10:32 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Can someone look up the original RR that owned the about 36-foot cast drop bottom flatcar that spent its last years as HCMX-4403 in the Harnischfeger Milwaukee plant??

It was scrapped a few years ago and looked like it was maybe pre-war era.

I got lots of pictures of her with repair plates and a flood of cut off load supports on her. The weathering from that is a mind blower.

Harnischfeger must have used her for many years to ship the larger sections of their mining shovels to the customer.

I suspect it to be post WW-1 of one of the local RR's. The corporation is just to the south of the main Milwaukee Road shops and the CNW runs through the middle of the property.

Mike Bauers

------------------------------------
Posted by: Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
   (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
   STMFC-digest@...
   STMFC-fullfeatured@...

Yep. I took many photos of a nearly identical ex-NYC car sitting in the
"relic collection" in Utica, New York ~14-15 years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/34089410612/

Tim O'Connor

Ya know, it's helpful to post an image or a link� and the funning thinng is, GOOGLE found it right away:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/419/19787279323_941656a809_b.jpg

[...]

Thanks, thats a very interesting shot........

While your find has Andrews RB trucks, the HCMX still had friction bearing Barbers S2 ..... If I remember correctly the shots I was reviewing several hours ago on the other computer.

[I really want to put up a central server for this house and have everything together]

Best to ya...
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi, USA

On Apr 24, 2017, at 1:13 PM, Tim O'Connor  wrote:

Yep. I took many photos of a nearly identical ex-NYC car sitting in the
"relic collection" in Utica, New York ~14-15 years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/34089410612/

Mike

I suspect that the trucks on that car are replacements for the originals.
The NYC cars had trucks with integral plain bearing journal boxes when they
were built and were later converted to roller bearings which could be seen
when the journal box lids were removed.

Tim O'