Topics

Warren Tank Cars In-train in 1954

Bill Welch

richard glueck

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes.  Wow!  What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

Tim O'Connor

Bill and everyone, FYI, you can see from the URL Bill posted that the photos
are all actually HOSTED on Flickr (owned by Yahoo, now part of Verizon)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotoart/28005007790/

Also, downloading them is trivial if you use Firefox (in spite of the "disabled"
notices from the web sites). Rule #1 on web photos - if you can see them, then you
can download them.

Tim O'Connor

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <richard_glueck@...> wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes.  Wow!  What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

   Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!
That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Don,

Not just rare, but unique. There was only one. Too bad nobody thought to save it.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/30/17 8:20 AM, riverman_vt@... [STMFC] wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes.  Wow!  What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

   Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!
That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Schuyler Larrabee

OK this is just a whine . . .

When commenting on a linked photo, could you please include the link to the photo? Some of us delete a lot of emails, and thereby lose the links, but when comments like this one and Don’s are made, I can’t go back and see what I missed on the first viewing. Thanks.

Schuyler

---In STMFC@..., <mailto:richard_glueck@...> <richard_glueck@...> wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes. Wow! What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!

That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Dave Parker

Schuyler:

I've had the same issue, but there is an easy fix.  Just go to the Yahoo group page.  Every message is archived there, in chronological order.  That's my backup when I delete a message that I later want to re-read.  And the archived messages can be easily searched by keyword.

Best,

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes. Wow! What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!

That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Schuyler,

An easy fix, and your request is very reasonable, now and in the future.

http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/lamb/group-four/#!jig[1]/https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg

Note that there are some Warren tank cars in this photo too (mandatory freight car content).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes. Wow! What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!

That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks Garth,

A couple more things to note: The CofG 50’ “football” paint scheme box car, a PS-1 if I am not mistaken (and if I am, I’ll be so informed soon . . . J ) and a self-guarding frog in the turnout. The shipbuilding origin of the 1900 is also evidenced by the rounded corners on the doors, which is always the case on ships.

---In STMFC@..., <mailto:richard_glueck@...> <mailto:richard_glueck@...> <mailto:richard_glueck@...> <richard_glueck@...> wrote :

The steam alone makes this worthwhile viewing, but then ALCO PA's and FA's in a variety of road schemes. Wow! What a historical bonanza!

R. Glueck

Not to mention the rare Ingalls Shipbuilding 4S switcher and an overhead view of it from the rear too boot!

That is a rare and hard to beat view!

Cordially, Don Valentine

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Schuyler,

The CofG car you mentioned at http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/lamb/group-four/#!jig[1]/https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg  is indeed a 50' PS1with a 9' single door. It is most likely from series 5500-5999, built 9/54. CofG also owned series 1500-1999 built 2/56. I don't have a photo of these, and I can't say for sure if they had the "football" paint scheme.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/30/17 7:17 PM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] wrote:

Thanks Garth,

A couple more things to note: The CofG 50’ “football” paint scheme box car, a PS-1 if I am not mistaken (and if I am, I’ll be so informed soon . . . J ) and a self-guarding frog in the turnout. The shipbuilding origin of the 1900 is also evidenced by the rounded corners on the doors, which is always the case on ships.

Schuyler,

An easy fix, and your request is very reasonable, now and in the future.

http://www.railphoto-art.org/collections/lamb/group-four/#!jig[1]/https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg

Note that there are some Warren tank cars in this photo too (mandatory freight car content).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Bill Welch

Roof painted Aluminum on the CogG 50-ft PS-1 meaning a 1954 built car as 1956 group had black roofs.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different.  One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine  kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom.  I'm assuming Warren had both types.

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Bruce Smith

Fenton,

I think that the second car is in fact insulated.  If you look closely, you can see the tank bands appear to disappear just about the turnbuckles.  That car is much newer.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

On May 1, 2017, at 7:59 AM, O Fenton Wells srrfan1401@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different.  One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine  kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom.  I'm assuming Warren had both types.

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Fenton;

Bruce is indeed correct. That is a c.'55-'60 ACF welded jacket and frame tank car. You can tell by the rounded stub end sill typical for ACF products of that time. It also has the rounded insulated tank ends they did typically for their more-"standardized" products.

Elden Gatwood

Blockedhttps://www5.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

On May 1, 2017, at 7:59 AM, O Fenton Wells @srrfan <mailto:@srrfan> [STMFC] <STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC@...> > wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different. One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom. I'm assuming Warren had both types.

Blockedhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg <Blockedhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg>

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Bruce I love the tank cars but am not a student of same.

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

gary laakso

It appears that Fenton,  is in fact, a freight car expert and that he was trying to disguise his skills, to no avail.  Should his nick name be “Warren”?

Gary Laakso

south of Mike Brock

On May 1, 2017, at 7:59 AM, O Fenton Wells srrfan1401@... <mailto:srrfan1401@...> [STMFC] <STMFC@... > > wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different. One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom. I'm assuming Warren had both types.

Blockedhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg

Richard Townsend

AHM made a model tank car whose tank is a good starting point for modeling these cars. They show up regularly on eBay. I just checked and two are there now. One is lettered for Gulf and the other for Jack Frost, for those who want to see the models. Kaminski's ACF and tank car books have a few photos of these cars.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

On May 1, 2017, at 7:59 AM, O Fenton Wells srrfan1401@... <mailto:srrfan1401@...>; [STMFC] <STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC@...>; > wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different. One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom. I'm assuming Warren had both types.

Blockedhttps://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8750/28004957510_666dfbfac9_k.jpg>;

Bill Welch

Kadee is doing a Warren car soon, albeit with silver lettering: https://kadee.com/month/future/9010l.jpg

Bill Welch

Tony Thompson

Fenton Wells wrote:

Gentlemen, I'm no freight car expert but the two Warren cars appear to be different.  One appears to be insulated (Obviously a Sunshine  kit;>) With the black or dark lower band while the other appears to be non insulated and no dark band at the bottom.  I'm assuming Warren had both types.

    The term "dark lower band" is a good visual description, but be aware it is in fact the entire lower sheet of the (removable) jacket over the insulation. This was commonly painted black.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

dale florence <dwwesley@...>

Sunshine kits were for 8,000 gal.tank cars. These cars look like 10 or 12,000 gal tank cars.

Dale Florence