Topics

BLI NYC USRA Steel Box Car Corrections Needed

Michael Gross

I have done a bit of work on a BLI NYC steel box car with 7/8 ends and seem to recall past remarks in this group on the "troubles" with these cars.  I know NYC did many rebuilds of these with new roofs and running boards, but apart from being unable to match a specific BLI road number with the "proper" roof or running board for a specific period, what are the most egregious details on the out-of-box model that need to be corrected?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Michael Gross

Pasadena, CA

Tim O'Connor

I have done a bit of work on a BLI NYC steel box car with 7/8 ends and seem to recall past remarks in this group on the "troubles" with these cars.  I know NYC did many rebuilds of these with new roofs and running boards, but apart from being unable to match a specific BLI road number with the "proper" roof or running board for a specific period, what are the most egregious details on the out-of-box model that need to be corrected?

Michael Gross

--------------------------

Michael,

As far as I have learned, the models are good for NYC - although someone mentioned
that they may represent a modernized car (?) Anyway, here are some previous references
from old emails -

   In the October 2006, RMC, Essential Freight Car article #34, NYC USRA design box cars,
   there is a table that lists all of the cars, and their similarities/differences.
   - Aaron Gjermundson

   That information is also in the roster in my
March, 2007 Railmodel Journal article
   on these cars. The only Spec. 486 box cars that had Dreadnaught ends were those built
   in 1927: 1,000 cars for the Big Four (later absorbed into the NYC roster), 50 cars
   for the Peoria & Eastern, and 1,000 cars for the NYC itself. So that's 2,050 cars
   out of almost 21,000, approximately one in ten. All the other cars had 7-8 corrugated
   ends. - Richard Hendrickson

I hope that helps a little

Tim O'Connor

Michael Gross

Tim O’Conner and Don Valentine, I am extremely grateful for your comments regarding the BLI NYC Steel Box Car.  Others have replied with other helpful remarks directly to me.  To all of you, my thanks and best wishes!

Cheers!

Michael

Michael Gross

Thank you, Mark.  I much appreciate the advice!

Michael

Bruce Smith

Michael,

Richard Hendrickson worked with BLI on these cars, and for a post-WWII NYC car, I believe that they are very accurate.  I think most of our past discussion focused on the roofs and metal running boards for cars that might be backdated. I looked at some of the past threads and I can’t find any that found real faults.  You mention the roof.  Richard indicated that 90% of the cars had the 7/8 ends so that seems a good “fleet” choice ;)

Note that you can search the archives to find the discussions, although Yehaw doesn’t make it easy.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Apr 30, 2017, at 11:35 PM, ActorMichaelGross@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have done a bit of work on a BLI NYC steel box car with 7/8 ends and seem to recall past remarks in this group on the "troubles" with these cars.  I know NYC did many rebuilds of these with new roofs and running boards, but apart from being unable to match a specific BLI road number with the "proper" roof or running board for a specific period, what are the most egregious details on the out-of-box model that need to be corrected?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

Michael Gross

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <timboconnor@...> wrote :

[...]

    I've been pretty happy with the BLI NYC cars as modeled. If BLI were to modify them at
all I have supplied them with the changes needed, and photos, to get very nearly correct
DL&W and Reading prototypes out of these same models. Different ends, different doors
but little else is required. Getting Bob Grubba, BLI's president, to move on almost any
change or improvement, however, is about as much fun as kicking a fire hydrant. In
addition, I write "very nearly correct" because I know some fellows on this list have little to
do other than nit pick every new model to death. Perhaps they need to be reminded that
we are dealing with injection molded styrene models for the masses rather than expensive,
imported brass models for the few who can still afford them.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Rossiter, Mark W

Michael, Andy Sperandeo did a little blog on modifying the unusual BLI trick mounting arrangement in order to substitute trucks from Tahoe Model Works, etc.  These cars are notorious for the running boards/roof walks popping loose, so there was some discussion about using Canopy Cement to solve that problem.  I'll look around for Andy's blog later tonight.

Mark Rossiter

Tom Fedor

Michael/Mark-
I followed Andy's instructions regarding the truck upgrades. It's well worth the effort. Here is the info:
>>>The Tahoe Model Works Buckeye truck has much better depth and definition of detail than the BLI truck. I removed the bolster from the plastic BLI underframe and replaced it with a block of styrene .160" high drilled and reamed to fit over the cast post on the BLI floor. Then I drilled and tapped the post for a 2-56 screw. I still need to add cross members on either side of the block. Also shown is the Kadee no. 153 in its own box replacing the BLI coupler. (Andy Sperandeo)<<<
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STMFC/photos/album/1832843864/pic/749770961/view>
-Tom Fedor, Thurmont, MD

Jon Miller

On 5/2/2017 9:09 PM, FrederickJct@... [STMFC] wrote:
removed the bolster from the plastic BLI underframe and replaced it with a block of styrene .160" high drilled and reamed to fit over the cast post on the BLI floor. Then I drilled and tapped the post for a 2-56 screw.

    I just looked at Andy's pictures.  Seems another route might be to build a dam on the coupler end and fill the hole with resin,  frame needs to be level.  Save a lot of filing.  Then drill and tap.  Thoughts???

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941