Stripping an Accurail boxcar

David North

What can I use to strip the paint from an Accurail boxcar, please?

Cheers

Dave North

O Fenton Wells

I use the Scalecoat wash away.  It works except for the funky modern NH cars.  I had to sand the NH off and replace the rivets at the car panels with Archer.
Fenton Wells

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane

Andy Miller

They are so inexpensive, why not just buy another one undec?

Regards,

Andy Miller

What can I use to strip the paint from an Accurail boxcar, please?

Cheers

Dave North

David North

Hi Andrew,

Because the undec version of this series is out of stock at all our suppliers.

Cheers

Dave

Eric Hansmann

Have you tried 91% Isopropyl alcohol?

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

On May 8, 2017, at 6:30 PM, 'David North' david.north@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Because the undec version of this series is out of stock at all our suppliers.

Cheers

Dave

David Jobe, Sr.

Unfortunately, 91% Isopropyl alcohol barely touches the paint.  It did get most of the lettering though.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

Because the undec version of this series is out of stock at all our suppliers.

Cheers

Dave

Joseph

David et all,
You can mail your poor, tired, in need of stripping cars and the like to me and they can go through my blasting booth....
220grit aluminum oxide works really well on just about everything

joe binish
Binish 6 at q .  Com

On May 8, 2017, at 9:41 PM, 'David Jobe, Sr.' tangerine_flyer@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, 91% Isopropyl alcohol barely touches the paint.  It did get most of the lettering though.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

Because the undec version of this series is out of stock at all our suppliers.

Cheers

Dave

Phil Clark

Dave, thanks for research, I need to remove the heralds and reporting marks only.

Phil Clark, Catarman, Philippines.

richard haave

I've used 91% Isopropyl alcohol to strip several Accurail cars.  However,  one I'm doing right now has required over a two week soak before anything started to come off,  it's the 40' C&C PS1 box.

Dick Haave

Jeff Coleman

Try Purple Power cleaner, safe for all plastics.
Jeff Coleman

On May 8, 2017 10:44 PM, "'David Jobe, Sr.' tangerine_flyer@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

> Unfortunately, 91% Isopropyl alcohol barely touches the paint.  It did get most of the lettering though.
>

> David Jobe, Sr.
>
> Saint Ann, Missouri

Ken Adams

I just used 91% Isopropyl alcohol to completely strip an early 1980's paint job off an Athearn steel side reefer. I used cotton buds (Q-tips) to puddle it on. An old toothbrush also helps getting in the cast ladder rungs and other crannies.  I also use Testors ELO when removing paint but for this car it seemed to attack the old plastic on a test inside the car body.

Part of my time retirement project for fun rebuilding old Athearn and other 1970-80's reefers instead of just buying new IMH versions.

Ken

Jeffrey White

David,

Which series box car is it? I have several undecs in my unbuilt kits stash.  I would trade you an undec for your car if I have the right one.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 5/8/2017 9:41 PM, 'David Jobe, Sr.' tangerine_flyer@... [STMFC] wrote:

Unfortunately, 91% Isopropyl alcohol barely touches the paint.  It did get most of the lettering though.

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri

Because the undec version of this series is out of stock at all our suppliers.

Cheers

Dave

David North

Thanks to everyone who reply with advice on stripping Accurail cars.

Joe, thanks for the offer – it would get a bit pricey as I’m in Australia and my mate Phil is in the Phillippines (grin).

Cheers

Dave North

Joseph

Dave. Need to work on beam out tech otherwise shipping would be a killer!
Good luck, joe binish

On May 10, 2017, at 9:03 AM, 'David North' david.north@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Thanks to everyone who reply with advice on stripping Accurail cars.

Joe, thanks for the offer – it would get a bit pricey as I’m in Australia and my mate Phil is in the Phillippines (grin).

Cheers

Dave North

David Jobe, Sr.

Jeff,

It’s a 4600 series USRA double-sheathed box car.  Hopefully, I’ll be able to try the Scalecoat this weekend or perhaps ELO.  Since this is for a kitbash I would prefer to return it to its unpainted state if possible.  Thanks much for the offer.  Hope to see you at the St. Louis RPM!

David Jobe, Sr.

Saint Ann, Missouri