From: "cepropst@q.com [STMFC]"
To: STMFC
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 5:43 PM
Subject: [STMFC] SFRD reefer classes

At a train show a couple weekends ago I picked up a Longs Drug Store/IM SFRD reefer kit. The car has a reweigh of 40 and has the R-27 class. In the box was a Plano running board set for the R-28, 32 class. I know nothing about Santa Fe reefers (probably wrote the class wrong?) Anyways, the kit instructions say to use different platforms around the hatches on these different classes.
My questions is: Is there any other differences between these classes? The Plano parts represent steel running boards while the model has wood with the hatch doors opening toward the end of the car. I would like the car to represent a car in the late 40s to 50 era. I will reweigh the car with a newer date and could just as well re-class it if the Plano parts will work?
All advice is appreciated!
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Todd Sullivan

Hi Clark,

According to the ATSF reefer book, USRA rebuild classes Rr-19 through Rr-27 (the Long's and Intermountain models) were all built in 1936 through early 1940 with wooden running boards and hatch platforms with the hatch hinges toward the end of the car.  Beginning with class Rr-28 (1940), the rebuilds received abbreviated wooden hatch platforms, and steel running boards and platforms were introduced after WWII.

Ted Culotta's "Essential Freight Cars 33", published in the August 2006 RMC, is a great article that shows several classes from the Long's and Intermountain models with the appropriate details.  He included a Sunshine kit of the Rr-34 through Rr-43 classes, all of which look pretty much the same and had the steel running boards and platforms.  I think one could build a nearly correct model of these cars from the Intermountain kit using some different parts (ends, fan control boxes, etc.).

The classes and built dates (from the ATSF reefer book):

Rr-19    31254-31655   1936-1937
Rr-23    31656-33155   1937-1938
Rr-25    33156-33655   1939
Rr-27    34500-34950   1939-1940
Rr-27      4200-4248     1940            (cars w/ fans)
Rr-28    35000-35499   1940
Rr-32    35500-35999   1940-1941
Rr-33    36301-36650   1941
Rr-33      4251-4400     1941           (cars w/ fans)
Rr-34    14280-15399   1941-1942
Rr-34      4401-4750     1941           (cars w/ fans)
Rr-35      7029-7358     1944-1945  (cars w/ fans, US Gypsum running boards, 7" eaves)

Todd Sullivan

tyesac@...

At a train show a couple weekends ago I picked up a Longs Drug Store/IM SFRD reefer kit. The car has a reweigh of 40 and has the R-27 class. In the box was a Plano running board set for the R-28, 32 class. I know nothing about Santa Fe reefers (probably wrote the class wrong?) Anyways, the kit instructions say to use different platforms around the hatches on these different classes.
My questions is: Is there any other differences between these classes? The Plano parts represent steel running boards while the model has wood with the hatch doors opening toward the end of the car. I would like the car to represent a car in the late 40s to 50 era. I will reweigh the car with a newer date and could just as well re-class it if the Plano parts will work?
All advice is appreciated!
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Robert J Miller CFA

Clark.

From the Santa Fe Modeler's Listing of Freight Cars by Class and Car Number there were in 1953 the following number of cars in the respective number series.

RR-27 # 4200-4248.    48 cars

RR-27 # 18000-18499   0 cars, but there are cars in this series in 1956

RR-27 # 34500-34950 441 cars

[...]

Thanks to all the assistance I decided to build the model with the kit parts. I really enjoyed assembling this model, especially the underside. Well thought out. I did replace the steps with A-Line of course.
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa