Topics

Essential Freight Cars

Barry Kenner

Hello Group,
I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles"Essential Freight Cars". I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group. Thanks,Barry

Tony Thompson

I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form. If you agree, let him know.
Tony Thompson

On May 23, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Barry Kenner hoboborr@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hello Group,
I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles"Essential Freight Cars". I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group. Thanks,Barry

O Fenton Wells

Yes the Essential Freight Car articles should be re released as a book.
Fenton

On May 23, 2017, at 5:11 AM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form. If you agree, let him know.
Tony Thompson

On May 23, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Barry Kenner hoboborr@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hello Group,
I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles"Essential Freight Cars". I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group. Thanks,Barry

Benjamin Hom

Barry Kenner asked:
"I am very impressed with the detail and information in Ted Culotta's series of articles 'Essential Freight Cars'. I was wondering if all of them were available. I have some of the latter ones. None of my searches have worked. I thought I would ask the group."

For a complete list of the articles in the series, go to
and do a CTRL+F search for "EssentialFreightCars46.pdf"

This will give you the latest version of the list compiled by Rich Brennan in February 2013.  There are two older versions that probably should be deleted.

RMC back issues published by Carstens are not available from WRP, but are common on the secondary market.  I've always had good luck getting my back issues from Railpub.

Ben Hom

Jon Miller

On 5/23/2017 2:11 AM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] wrote:

I have long urged Ted to collect them all in book form.

    That would be a book I would like.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

rwitt_2000

I always thought Ted would collect them all into a book. I recall the copyright notice was different for those articles and I always assumed that Ted retained future rights for publication.

Regards,

Bob Witt

ed_mines

I'd buy that book.

Ed Mines

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

Ditto.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List <STMFC@...> on behalf of STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@...>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Essential Freight Cars

I'd buy that book.

Ed Mines

Rich C

I too would buy the book. I do have all the RMC's that contain the EFC series, but having one book would make it much handier.

Rich Christie

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 3:43 PM, "BRIAN PAUL EHNI bpehni@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Ditto.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: STMFC List on behalf of STMFC List
Date: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM
To: STMFC List

I'd buy that book.

Ed Mines

Michael Gross

I’d be onboard for that book!!!

gtws00

I would also buy the book.
George Toman

Don Burn

I also would love to see the book, even though I have all the articles. The big question is would Ted want to update the articles?

Don Burn

Nelson Moyer

I too would like to see a reprint in book form, as I was not a subscriber to RMC during most of the years the series covered, however, Ted has stated repeatedly and emphatically that the series would not be offered in book form for whatever reason. Unless he has a change of heart, we’re beating a dead horse.

Nelson Moyer

Fred_Swa@...

I thought this was replacing the series http://speedwitchmedia.com/prototype-railroad-profiles/
and that he would be updating some of the previous articles
Fred Swanson

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

Me too.

Spen Kellogg

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <npmoyer@...> wrote :

I too would like to see a reprint in book form, as I was not a subscriber to RMC during most of the years the series covered, however, Ted has stated repeatedly and emphatically that the series would not be offered in book form for whatever reason. Unless he has a change of heart, we’re beating a dead horse.

Nelson Moyer

Some of us will have an opportunity to beat that dead horse on 2 & 3 June at the New England RPM Meet.

I will speak quietly with Ted about it as I am certainly one of those who feel all the articles would be more useful if presented all together in one book. There may be some copyright issues but even those could probably be addressed if Ted were to have White River Pub. actually do the printing and distribution of such a book.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Ted Culotta

I guess it's time that I reply to this. First, I do not ever recall stating that I would not entertain the idea of consolidating all of this into a book. It's possible I did, but I certainly don't remember it. However, I have read numerous times about things I have said and done that were not the case so it's possible that I stated something that was easily interpreted differently than I intended.

That said, I have discussed the idea of doing a book, although books is more realistic. My vision is 3-4 perfect bound (paperback) volumes.

The fly in the ointment in all of this is that a lot has changed since these articles were published. Many of the kits are no longer available, many have been superseded by one or more styrene (or resin) offerings, and several are ones where I (or others) are actively pursuing replacement kit offerings. I also have several subjects that were never covered that would need to be completed and incorporated into a latter part of the compendium. It's not that I don't see a value in this; it's more that it would be an undertaking well above and beyond just putting them together into book form.

To summarize, it's a project I heartily embrace. I just need to insert it into the queue.

Thanks for all of the positive input, feedback, and support. It is nice to read it all.

Cheers,
Ted

Alexander Schneider Jr

Almost a decade has passed since the series ended, and some of the kits recommended to realize the essential freight cars are no longer available. While many of us would like to complete our collections of a series we think highly of, Ted would need to invest many hours in an update to make a mainstream, current reference book. My impression is that he’s moved to other projects more directed at freight car history than modeling.

Many installments are actually two articles: the main article about the particular car, and a sidebar about a particular construction detail which is applicable to many cars. The latter are not spelled out in the index I saw online a few months ago, and I hope to compile it and make it available over the summer.

Alex Schneider

I too would like to see a reprint in book form, as I was not a subscriber to RMC during most of the years the series covered, however, Ted has stated repeatedly and emphatically that the series would not be offered in book form for whatever reason. Unless he has a change of heart, we’re beating a dead horse.

Nelson Moyer

Some of us will have an opportunity to beat that dead horse on 2 & 3 June at the New England RPM Meet.
I will speak quietly with Ted about it as I am certainly one of those who feel all the articles would be more useful if presented all together in one book. There may be some copyright issues but even those could probably be addressed if Ted were to have White River Pub. actually do the printing and distribution of such a book.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Alexander Schneider Jr

Wish I had seen this before replying to an earlier post. I’m delighted it’s in the queue!

Alex Schneider

[...]

Tom Madden

I know there are several indexes to Ted's Essential Freight Cars articles already in the STMFC Files area, but I've just uploaded another one. It includes sidebars and tables. If it turns out to be redundant I'll remove it.

Tom Madden