Topics

Help with C&EI FGE insulated box cars

David Forbes

I am researching the Chicago & Eastern Illinois involvement with Fruit Growers Express and am looking for more information on FGE itself. Does anyone know where I might find FGE records of C&EI lease agreements? Any help would be appreciated.

At this point I have what I believe to be a complete roster with around eight or so photos.

Question, from what I have read, FGE started around 1920 but the C&EI didn't begin to lease cars till 1952, why not earlier?

Again, any help appreciated,

David Forbes

Bill Welch

David:

Although dated now this PDF  will answer some of your questions I think. Look first on page 15: http://s-clmodeler.aclsal.org/currentissue/fgexwoodencars.pdf

During the time period of this group no RR including the C&EI would have leased cars from FGE but would have been furnished cars if the had a contract w/FGE for cars. The C&EI was one of the first RR's to become an owner of FGE, eventually numbering 16 RR's. All of the owner RR's had contracts for both cars and protective service.

Bill Welch