USRA Andrews truck plans

Woody of Whangas

Hi Folks

Could someone please advise where best to look for scale drawings of the USRA standard Andrews truck?  Is there a book available for purchase which happens to have good engineering drawings of it, perhaps?  I have downloaded all car builders' cyclopedias from 1903 up to 1922 but while there are drawings of several different Andrews trucks, the USRA version is not among them as far as I can see.  I have plain side-views from various model railroad publications but they are lacking in detail, and for not having an end-view are not of much use at all.  Any help gratefully received.  Living as far from the USA as I do, it's not easy to gain access to many sources of information.

I recently decided to go garden-railroading after a health scare made me realise that waiting for my hoped-for indoor space for an O-scale railroad to become available might result in me achieving precisely zip before I shuffle off....open-heart surgery makes you rethink a lot of things!  However, upon looking around for 1/32 scale supplies, I find there is almost nothing commercially available so I am trying to create some 3D-printed 1/32 scale trucks for myself, starting with the most common.  Fortunately I have good plans of the Bettendorf T-section to work on while I hunt for drawings of the Andrews truck.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ.

Scott H. Haycock

I am no expert on truck design or manufacture, but what I have gleaned over the years, when a question like this comes up, is that a concept design, like the "Andrews truck" is a patented design. I believe Richard tried to make this point more than once. Several manufacturers built trucks that were licensed, and conformed to the specifics of the patent, but were otherwise made to the manufacturer's own design. That's why there are variations in truck appearance,  that we modelers tend to lump under one name.

Based on this assumption, I'm not sure that the idea of a USRA standard Andrews truck is valid.

If I'm wrong about this, I invite more expert clarity .

Scott Haycock

Hi Folks

Could someone please advise where best to look for scale drawings of the USRA standard Andrews truck?  Is there a book available for purchase which happens to have good engineeringdifferent  drawings of it, perhaps?  I have downloaded all car builders' cyclopedias from 1903 up to 1922 but while there are drawings of several different Andrews trucks, the USRA version is not among them as far as I can see.  I have plain side-views from various model railroad publications but they are lacking in detail, and for not having an end-view are not of much use at all.  Any help gratefully received.  Living as far from the USA as I do, it's not easy to gain access to many sources of information.

I recently decided to go garden-railroading after a health scare made me realise that waiting for my hoped-for indoor space for an O-scale railroad to become available might result in me achieving precisely zip before I shuffle off....open-heart surgery makes you rethink a lot of things!  However, upon looking around for 1/32 scale supplies, I find there is almost nothing commercially available so I am trying to create some 3D-printed 1/32 scale trucks for myself, starting with the most common.  Fortunately I have good plans of the Bettendorf T-section to work on while I hunt for drawings of the Andrews truck.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ.

Woody of Whangas

Hi Scott

Very good point.  I believe that there was a particular design that was selected by the USRA committee, so even if it was produced by several different manufacturers, the trucks nevertheless looked very similar.  I have seen it referred to time and again as a 'USRA Andrews truck'.  The sideframe is quite recognisable, having an almost straight top edge, with a pronounced round-down at the ends and a short 'shelf' at the extreme ends above the axle boxes with the bolt-head that resided there being in plain view.

Many other versions of Andrews trucks had a more visibly rounded top edge, and often no shelf at the ends, the downward curve of the sideframe's top edge carried on right to the extreme ends with the bolt-head being concealed in a recess.  I will upload some photos to my folder to illustrate the differences tomorrow.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <paulandclaire@...> wrote :

Hi Scott

Very good point.  I believe that there was a particular design that was selected by the USRA committee, so even if it was produced by several different manufacturers, the trucks nevertheless looked very similar.
========================

More than just selected by the committee, actually purchased. So, whatever sideframe design they purchased is truly the "USRA Andrews truck."

Most of the committee's work was presented in the 1919 edition of the Car Builder's Dictionary; I know drawings of the truck and bolster designs were. This reference is available on-line. I have the link bookmarked at work and will post it later.

Dennis Storzek

Dennis Storzek

Dave Parker

The "cleanest" copy of the USRA drawings (including the trucks) that I have found is the U Michigan scan of Railway Mechanical Engineer, April 1918 (vol 92, vol 4), page 189.

It can be accessed here, and downloaded for free in a variety of formats:

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Friday, May 26, 2017 7:27 AM, "destorzek@... [STMFC]" wrote:

SUVCWORR@...

Paul,

Here is a link to the PRR drawing of the USRA freight truck  it is a side view not sure if it will help you

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiagrams.html?diag=2D-F3-E69407.gif&sel=ftk&sz=sm&fr=

Rich Orr

[...]

While a detailed drawing of the USRA 50-ton Andrews truck has proved to be very elusive, I wish to thank Rich Orr for pointing me at a diagram (in the Pennsy RR files collection) of the correct truck, and also thank Brian Leppert for going above and beyond the call of duty by providing scans of original drawings of what appears to be a close relative, which combined with the Pennsy truck diagram should allow me to get the job done.

Thanks also to Dennis Storzek and David Parker for their input; the truck in the Railroad Mechanical Engineer turned out to be a 70-tonner, not the 50-ton truck I was looking for, but still very useful.  Those old periodicals for engineers contain a wealth of information, and some very good drawings of freight cars.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ.