Rattle Can Matte & Flat Finishes

thecitrusbelt@...

In the old Dos Equis beer commercial the Most Interesting Man in the World declares, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis".

So if you were completing the following statement, what would you say?

"I don't always use rattle can matte and flat finishes, but when I do I use _____________."

Yes, I know the use of rattle cans is arrant heterodoxy on this group but I was just curious as to what people use when no one is looking and they don't feel

like cleaning their air brushes.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Robert J Miller CFA

"Model Master" flat.

On Jun 3, 2017, at 8:22 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

In the old Dos Equis beer commercial the Most Interesting Man in the World declares, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis".

So if you were completing the following statement, what would you say?

"I don't always use rattle can matte and flat finishes, but when I do I use _____________."

Yes, I know the use of rattle cans is arrant heterodoxy on this group but I was just curious as to what people use when no one is looking and they don't feel

like cleaning their air brushes.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

al_brown03

Testor's Dullcote or ModelMaster Lusterless (flat).

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

frograbbit602

Testor's Dullcote is the only flat finish in a  rattle can I have.
Lester Breuer

Bruce Smith

I'm proud to say Model Master flat.  I paint brass locos with it.  It's a great paint!

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

In the old Dos Equis beer commercial the Most Interesting Man in the World declares, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis".

So if you were completing the following statement, what would you say?

"I don't always use rattle can matte and flat finishes, but when I do I use _____________."

Yes, I know the use of rattle cans is arrant heterodoxy on this group but I was just curious as to what people use when no one is looking and they don't feel

like cleaning their air brushes.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nelson Moyer

I've used both Dulcote ad Model Master Lusterless Flatin rattle cans, and I prefer MM.

Nelson Moyer

On Jun 3, 2017, at 8:08 PM, frograbbit602@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Testor's Dullcote is the only flat finish in a  rattle can I have.

Lester Breuer

Schuyler Larrabee

No direct experience, but today, a modeler whose opinion I value highly told me that Tamiya has a flat finish in a spray can that he equates to using an airbrush because it is a very soft, gentle spray, and does what it says it will do.

Schuyler

In the old Dos Equis beer commercial the Most Interesting Man in the World declares, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis".

So if you were completing the following statement, what would you say?

"I don't always use rattle can matte and flat finishes, but when I do I use _____________."

Yes, I know the use of rattle cans is arrant heterodoxy on this group but I was just curious as to what people use when no one is looking and they don't feel

like cleaning their air brushes.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I used to use Pactra Flat, which indeed did give a lusterless finish. That product is long gone.

I recently tried the new Rustoleum Dead Flat, and found that it produces a fairly high sheen. Dead flat it ain't.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/4/17 12:44 AM, 'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC] wrote:

No direct experience, but today, a modeler whose opinion I value highly told me that Tamiya has a flat finish in a spray can that he equates to using an airbrush because it is a very soft, gentle spray, and does what it says it will do.

Schuyler

In the old Dos Equis beer commercial the Most Interesting Man in the World declares, "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis".

So if you were completing the following statement, what would you say?

"I don't always use rattle can matte and flat finishes, but when I do I use _____________."

Yes, I know the use of rattle cans is arrant heterodoxy on this group but I was just curious as to what people use when no one is looking and they don't feel

like cleaning their air brushes.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Sykes III

I buy Krylon primers at ACE hardware.  Beware, they are a different formula than the ones sold at WalMart and are much better(?!?!?).  Dries dead flat and fast!  Downside is they are only available in Black, White, Medium Gray and Red Oxide, which actually covers a big chunk of my building needs.  With their Dull Aluminum metallic paint they cover about 90% of my non-rollingstock needs.  Rustoleum does have a dark grey automotive sandable primer that dries dead flat.

-- John

Nelson Moyer

Krylon makes flat, satin, and gloss, but you may have to get them in a craft store like Michels. I've used all of these, and the spray pattern is quite fine and it dries fast. I also use gloss to coat inkjet printed decals. The only negatives are that the Krylon cans are bigger than MM cans, so it's harder to handle them in a small paint booth, and the spray distance is longer, say 12 in. instead of 8 in.

Nelson Moyer

On Jun 4, 2017, at 8:18 AM, johnsykesiii@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I buy Krylon primers at ACE hardware.  Beware, they are a different formula than the ones sold at WalMart and are much better(?!?!?).  Dries dead flat and fast!  Downside is they are only available in Black, White, Medium Gray and Red Oxide, which actually covers a big chunk of my building needs.  With their Dull Aluminum metallic paint they cover about 90% of my non-rollingstock needs.  Rustoleum does have a dark grey automotive sandable primer that dries dead flat.

-- John

Nelson Moyer

I forgot to mention that Krylon Flat Aluminum is great for painting simulated stainless steel cars. I used it on the CB&Q BA-19 baggage car published in the June 2015 RMC.

Nelson Moyer

On Jun 4, 2017, at 10:43 AM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Armand Premo

 I  use Model Master semi gloss and Dull coat flat with fine results . I also use Ace various reds, flat black  and gray for buildings  . Armand Premo

Lee Thwaits

I regularly use Tamiya flat. A very fine spray as good as my Iwata air brush.

Lee Thwaits

Jim Betz

Hi,

My favorite "rattle can" flat finish is acrylic craft flat finish
paint - thinned out to about 50-50 and applied as a wash
with a brush.
I use both the semi-gloss and flat (and own but have
never used the gloss - haven't needed it).

The biggest advantage is that there isn't any overspray
to clean off of wheels, mask to protect from getting on
windows, etc. I also like the way it flows into the
hollows, cracks, and crevises rather than 'missing'
them like anything sprayed.
- Jim B.

Michael Gross

I have used most of the rattle-can flat finishes mentioned, and have had good luck with all of them.  These include Testors, Tamiya, Model Master and Krylon (purchased at arts, craft and home improvement stores ).  At a local hobby shop in So Cal, I recently purchased a can of Humbrol Flat Acrylic Varnish in a can, but have not yet used it.

I usually alternate mediums when I am weathering so I do not adversely effect the previous finish.  That is, if I use a water-based matte finish as my initial clear coat, I  use oil or some other non-water-based medium for my wash.  Not to say one can’t use a single solvent throughout, but make sure to give individual coats time to cure thoroughly between steps.

Cheers!

John Sykes III

Sorry, I thought we were talking PAINTS not clear coats.  I only use Dullcoat for final sealing.  Will use Rattle Cans but prefer airbrush, since I prefer to dilute it down to nearly 50:50 to get it to dry very fast.  Also, I use a "not-in-California" lacquer thinner that is over 300 g/L VOCs.  Dries in seconds but will knock out an elephant.

-- John

Martin Young

I have been using rattle cans of Dullcoat for as long as I remember. It does give a flat finish but not always a uniform finish. I am not building contest quality models , just for me to run at home and on the club. I have been buying and experimenting with many rattle cans of clear flat finish with varying success.

My latest experiments were with Rust-Oleum Clear Dead Flat, Humbrol Acrylic Matte and Tamiya Flat Clear. Many people have said that the Rust-Oleum product is the best you can get. It was better than Dullcoat but does have a nuisance value that makes it hard to use, you must have VERY good ventilation and probably better outside and you stand upwind from it. Next came Humbrol. It gave an even better finish than Rust-Oleum and being acrylic I detected no odor at all. Last was Tamiya and that was a pleasant surprise. I sprayed a car that had a semi-gloss finish with high-gloss lettering. That car ended up dead flat, the entire car with an even coating. It does have an odor but I found it tolerable.

For me, my go to will be Tamiya first, Humbrol second. Both paints leave the car dry enough to pick up within a minute.

Marty
San Diego, CA