Topics

Help on tank colors - GATX 68508

Ted Culotta

I posted a photo to my blog (link below) of GATX 68508 lettered for Commercial Solvents Corp. Can anyone shed light on the colors of the tank and lettering, including emblems, etc.? Thank you.

Cheers,
Ted

Bill Welch

FYI needed for this marriage is one Undec Tangent Gen. Amer. Acid Tank Car kit 13000-01 and one Red Caboose 8K welded tank.

Bill Welch

Steve and Barb Hile

Sadly, the Red Caboose tank is 10,000 gallons.  I wonder if Tom Madden would consider casting an 8000 gallon welded tank?

Steve Hile

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:27 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Help on tank colors - GATX 68508

FYI needed for this marriage is one Undec Tangent Gen. Amer. Acid Tank Car kit 13000-01 and one Red Caboose 8K welded tank.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Rats Steve you are correct. Foiled once again trying to figure a use that that dang tank as I know I am not going to try to put a see-thru metal running board on the Red Caboose underframe. Oh well.

Bill Welch

Tom Madden

---In STMFC@..., <shile@...> wrote :
>
> Sadly, the Red Caboose tank is 10,000 gallons.  I wonder if Tom Madden
> would consider casting an 8000 gallon welded tank?

Sure - if someone wants to prepare a master pattern.

Tom Madden

Steve and Barb Hile

Sometimes, it pays to check things BEFORE shooting off one's mouth.  According to the 1955 Tank Car Tariff, GATX 68508 IS a 10000 gallon welded tank, with an actual capacity of 10141 gallons!

So, depending upon the lengths of the Tangent underframe and the Red Caboose tank, Bill's "marriage" might be possible.

Sorry of any confusion.

Steve Hile

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2017 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Help on tank colors - GATX 68508

Sadly, the Red Caboose tank is 10,000 gallons.  I wonder if Tom Madden would consider casting an 8000 gallon welded tank?

Steve Hile

Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 6:27 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Help on tank colors - GATX 68508

Bill Welch

Jim Hayes

I just matched a partially assembled Tangent tank car with a Red Caboose Undec 10K tank car kit. The Red Caboose tank is a perfect match to the Tangent frame. The bolster to bolster length is the same. In fact the truck screws on the Tangent will screw directly into the existing holes in the bottom of the Red Caboose tank.
The existing Red Caboose dome is 60". The dome on the CSC tank in the picture might be the same. The major item we still need is DECALS.

Jim

Tim O'Connor

Jim

Which Tangent tank car frame did you use?

Tim O'Connor

I just matched a partially assembled Tangent tank car with a Red Caboose Undec 10K tank car kit. The Red Caboose tank is a perfect match to the Tangent frame. The bolster to bolster length is the same. In fact the truck screws on the Tangent will screw directly into the existing holes in the bottom of the Red Caboose tank.

The existing Red Caboose dome is 60". The dome on the CSC tank in the picture might be the same. The major item we still need is DECALS.

Jim

Jim Hayes

I used the 8K acid tank.

Jim

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Jim

Which Tangent tank car frame did you use?

Tim O'Connor

Jim

Ted Culotta

I'm working on those decals... Sheesh, I just posed the initial query less than a week ago!

Jim Hayes

That's great. Now I've got a Red Caboose tank, the parts for the frame are available from Tangent, and the decals will be coming. Anything else I should know that's not visible in the picture? I'd better start looking at my Steam Era Freight Cars Reference Manual Volume Two: Tank Cars.

Jim

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM, Ted Culotta speedwitchmedia@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I'm working on those decals... Sheesh, I just posed the initial query less than a week ago!