HO scale 3D printed D&RGW gondolas

Robert Heninger

Hello Group,

I happened across this seller on Ebay, offering HO scale 3D printed 42' and 46' Rio Grande GS gondolas. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bonsallscalecarshops/m.html?item=232371077764&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If the link doesn't work, the seller is Bonsall Scale Car Shops. I haven't purchased any of these kits, so I can't comment on the quality, but I know models of these prototypes have been long desired by many folks on this list, and I have not seen them discussed on this list.

They look nice in the pictures, and they are certainly more economical than the W&R model! I wonder if the seller is a member of this list?

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

Richard Townsend

It is a nice looking car in the photos. I am tempted to buy one. Has anyone on this list tried these?

I wonder if this (3D printing) is the future of modeling, replacing resin casting. I've heard it said that it is hard to find people who can do good castings. Maybe we will end up replacing the hard-to-find resin casters with hard-to-find 3D designers.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I happened across this seller on Ebay, offering HO scale 3D printed 42' and 46' Rio Grande GS gondolas. Here's a link:

If the link doesn't work, the seller is Bonsall Scale Car Shops. I haven't purchased any of these kits, so I can't comment on the quality, but I know models of these prototypes have been long desired by many folks on this list, and I have not seen them discussed on this list.

They look nice in the pictures, and they are certainly more economical than the W&R model! I wonder if the seller is a member of this list?

Regards,
Bob Heninger
Minot, ND

Dave Nelson

Hey, those look pretty good.

I have the DRGW’s own blueprints for the 1922 car and having done most of the work to put it into a 3d mesh considered the notion of 3d printing it. It’s kinda nice to see someone beat me to it… one less thing on my to-do list.

Dave Nelson

I happened across this seller on Ebay, offering HO scale 3D printed 42' and 46' Rio Grande GS gondolas. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bonsallscalecarshops/m.html?item=232371077764 <http://www.ebay.com/sch/bonsallscalecarshops/m.html?item=232371077764&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562> &rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If the link doesn't work, the seller is Bonsall Scale Car Shops. I haven't purchased any of these kits, so I can't comment on the quality, but I know models of these prototypes have been long desired by many folks on this list, and I have not seen them discussed on this list.

They look nice in the pictures, and they are certainly more economical than the W&R model! I wonder if the seller is a member of this list?

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

Ted Culotta

I like the detail, but hate the "printed on" grabs and brake gear. I emailed the seller to inquire about running them sans those details as the rest looks quite good.

Ted Culotta

For $65 they are awfully crude. That brake chain (?) looks like it’s a foot thick (yes, I’m exaggerating).

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

I happened across this seller on Ebay, offering HO scale 3D printed 42' and 46' Rio Grande GS gondolas. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bonsallscalecarshops/m.html?item=232371077764&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If the link doesn't work, the seller is Bonsall Scale Car Shops. I haven't purchased any of these kits, so I can't comment on the quality, but I know models of these prototypes have been long desired by many folks on this list, and I have not seen them discussed on this list.

They look nice in the pictures, and they are certainly more economical than the W&R model! I wonder if the seller is a member of this list?

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

Bill Welch

I remember seeing these cars in an article by Richard H. (I think) about GS gondolas and thinking they looking comparatively massive. especially the longer one. Is it reasonable to say these would have been rare east of the Mississippi River? Can someone offer more details about these cars and their use by the D&RGW?

It seems like it would be pretty easy to print this w/o so many of the details like grabs, sill steps, brake parts, door hardware, etc.

Bill Welch

Robert Heninger

I agree about the coarse details, but if I were modeling the D&RGW and needed dozens of them, I might think otherwise. The pictures of the finished model do look nice in the context of a finished scene.

One other thought I had was in regards to the long term dimensional stability of the model. I recall a discussion with Tom Madden at Cocoa Beach about this subject, and his opinion at the time was that 3D printing (rapid prototyping was the original term for the process, IIRC) was best used as a master to make a mold from which resin cars could be cast, as the 3D printed parts were prone to warping, etc. However, processes are continuously improved, especially in an emerging technology such as this one, so perhaps this is no longer a valid concern.

Tom, are you following this discussion and would you care to comment? I hope I haven't mischaracterized your comments. It's been a couple of years since we talked about this subject.

As far as the general applicability of GS gondolas to STMFC modelers, I've seen photos of IC gons in Washington state loaded with lumber, the Emil Strack photos on SmugMug show numerous instances of GS gons with lumber, and the GNRHS published a reference sheet years back pertaining to the GN's GS gondolas, and it made mention of a GN memo tracking the location of GN's GS fleet, which was scattered all over the country. The D&RGW gons often show up in pictures of GN trains in Washington, often with coal loads visible, so I can easily see how an empty gon could be confiscated and loaded with lumber on the GN for points all over the country.

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

Jack Burgess

Since they are black, I suspect that he is casting his own cars at home. Hence the crude look. If he was using Shapeways and having them made in Frosted Ultra Detail, they would be translucent and the detail would be much finer.

Jack Burgess

I happened across this seller on Ebay, offering HO scale 3D printed 42' and 46' Rio Grande GS gondolas. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bonsallscalecarshops/m.html?item=232371077764&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

If the link doesn't work, the seller is Bonsall Scale Car Shops. I haven't purchased any of these kits, so I can't comment on the quality, but I know models of these prototypes have been long desired by many folks on this list, and I have not seen them discussed on this list.

They look nice in the pictures, and they are certainly more economical than the W&R model! I wonder if the seller is a member of this list?

Regards,

Bob Heninger

Minot, ND

------------------------------------
Posted by: BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@gmail.com>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Tim O'Connor

The Union Pacific and Southern Pacific also bought 46 foot, 70 ton GS gondolas
but much later - in the 1950's. All of them operated into California via the LA&SL,
SP, and WP. The Santa Fe also had large GS gondolas but they followed the "Caswell"
style of construction.

Tim O'Connor

I remember seeing these cars in an article by Richard H. (I think) about GS gondolas and thinking they looking comparatively massive. especially the longer one. Is it reasonable to say these would have been rare east of the Mississippi River? Can someone offer more details about these cars and their use by the D&RGW?

It seems like it would be pretty easy to print this w/o so many of the details like grabs, sill steps, brake parts, door hardware, etc.

Bill Welch

Tom Madden

---In STMFC@..., <gn2059@...> wrote :
> Tom, are you following this discussion and would you care to comment?
> I hope I haven't mischaracterized your comments. It's been a couple of
> years since we talked about this subject.

Decent looking models. The sidewalls, including the sloped ones, look smooth. Surface detail is nicely done although, as others have noted, the free-standing elements are a bit heavy. The relatively fine detail on the sides suggests that the coarseness of the steps and brake rod is due to material properties and not the print resolution. That is, they would be too fragile if rendered closer to scale. It also looks like he has designed webs connecting the lower portions of the side stakes and the operating rods to the sloped portion of the body, another indication that the material isn't strong enough for such parts to survive much handling if they were made free-standing. A good layout model from the looks of it, though, with some parts represented rather than modeled.

Some 3D printing materials are notoriously unstable, some are brittle, and some are both. But some are neither. Parts made by fused deposition (the hobby-type filament printers and their commercial brethren) and laser-sintered nylon (Shapeways Strong and Flexible material) are ready to use. Those gons don't have the layering associated with FD parts, nor the granular structure of LS parts, but without knowing what material he's using it's hard to comment on long term stability.

The seller has been on eBay since 2002 but has only 56 feedback comments, all positive. Only three of those are as a seller, and those are all quite recent. Looks to be on the up and up. Remember that the journey to ready-to-use 3D printed models is just that - a journey. With many steps along the way. This appears to be one of those steps.

Tom Madden

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

The Union Pacific and Southern Pacific also bought 46 foot, 70 ton GS gondolas
but much later - in the 1950's. All of them operated into California via the LA&SL,
SP, and WP. The Santa Fe also had large GS gondolas but they followed the "Caswell"
style of construction.

      The only SP GS cars in the late 1950s were wood-chip cars, much deeper than what we would think of as GS gons, though they did indeed have drop bottom doors. I'm not aware of UP being 46-foot GS gons either, though I'm not a UP freight car expert.
       Tim, what kind of cars did you  mean?

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Robert kirkham

The material looks like Shapeways hi-definition acrylic: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/high-definition-acrylate

A reasonably nice material for HO scale parts; I did a set of murphy car ends using this - took paint well. The trouble is that the material won't print in small cross sections, so fine details are out. I wanted some working switch stands from the material, but had to bulk them up so many times the thickness of proto-dimensions I gave up. The car ends have cupped a bit over time, but always bend back into the flat shape they should be. Glued in place and painted, they blend with styrene and hold their shape. I think it offers interesting opportunities for HO trucks, btw, because it is very strong, but the course details and the cupping both worry me.

Rob Kirkham

[...]

Posted by: "Jack Burgess" <jack@yosemitevalleyrr.com>

Yahoo Groups Links

Robert kirkham

Bill said:

It seems like it would be pretty easy to print this w/o so many of the details like grabs, sill steps, brake parts, door hardware, etc.

I agree.  If I needed one of these I’d ask the modeller to remove those parts from the print file, so they could be added as details.  Modifying a 3d drawing to eliminate details is usually not a lot of work, depending on the drawing software, methods and knowledge of the drawer.

Rob Kirkham