Mainline Modeler - Hundman Publishing

David Turner

Has any one had experience lately with obtaining permission from Mainline Modeler/Hundman Publishing to reprint an article from the magazine?

If so, what is the contact information you used ask them?

Thank you for any assistance.

Best regards,

David Turner

Keeping the S. P. & S. Ry. alive in Santa Rosa, California

Al Kresse <water.kresse@...>

Bob Hundman is currently working with the C&O Historical Society updating his older drawings and adding new ones.  Bob still lives out west.  Bob doesn't use his PC much if at all.  He still uses vellum and ink at 1/2" to the foot for drawings.  Contact C&OHS at 540-862-2210 to find out how to contact Bob.

Al Kresse

On June 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM "David Turner spsrwyfan@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Has any one had experience lately with obtaining permission from
Mainline Modeler/Hundman Publishing to reprint an article from the magazine?

Best regards,

David Turner

richard glueck

All rights to Mainline Modeler prints and articles belong to the C&O T&HS.  I secured rights to one drawing for a donation of $25.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:52 PM, "Al Kresse water.kresse@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Bob Hundman is currently working with the C&O Historical Society updating his older drawings and adding new ones.  Bob still lives out west.  Bob doesn't use his PC much if at all.  He still uses vellum and ink at 1/2" to the foot for drawings.  Contact C&OHS at 540-862-2210 to find out how to contact Bob.

Al Kresse
On June 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM "David Turner spsrwyfan@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Best regards,

David Turner

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Greg Martin

I would hope that they would not allow any republishing of any of my work with out written permission and they will not use my byline without permission.

Greg Martin

Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean

In a message dated 6/14/2017 8:16:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

All rights to Mainline Modeler prints and articles belong to the C&O T&HS.  I secured rights to one drawing for a donation of $25.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 8:52 PM, "Al Kresse water.kresse@... et [STMFC]" wrote:

Al Kresse
On June 14, 2017 at 4:48 PM "David Turner spsrwyfan@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Best regards,

David Turner

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dave Nelson

It would be awfully nice if he were to draw what’s on the original drawings – stuff like dimensions and/or steel shape and weight -- instead of assuming everything was going to be used exactly as he made models – sheet of paper with un-dimensioned drawing at HO scale where one lays out styrene of the approximate size – or oversize -- for gluing.  As they were done all of his drawings – and most in MM from others -- are without value to me and in all likelihood w/o value for anyone trying to make something at Shapeways.

Dave Nelson

Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 5:48 PM

Al Kresse

Douglas Harding

Greg did you retain copyright of your articles that Hundman published? If not, and you were compensated, they are most likely the property of the publisher, and by transfer, thus property of the C&OHS.

While I did not write anything for Hundman, and do not know his author agreements, I did write for Railroad Model Craftsman when published by Carstens Publications INC. I recall the checks from Carstens had a clause on the back stating when I endorsed the check (ie to cash/deposit) I was signing over ownership of the article. This meant Carstens could do anything they wanted, including reprinting/publishing, and I could not prevent them. At the time Bill Schaumburg advised me to retain copyright of my material by including a copyright notation on all work submitted. This permits me to use my work as I wish.

I think this practice is pretty standard in the publishing world. I undertand Kalmbach "buys" articles, and sometimes they sit for years before getting published, if ever. By paying for the article, Kalmbach becomes the owner and the author is prevented from publishing elsewhere.

Perhaps someone in the publishing industry or legal field can speak more directly to this matter. But if you did not retain copyright, you may not have control over material Hundman Publishing printed. That is my understanding.

Doug Harding

Nelson Moyer

I ask Stephen Priest about copyright issues with the new RMC. Did sighing his release mean I was transferring copyright to them, and said " just the opposite, you're allowing us to publish your material".  I interpreted that to mean I retain control of my work.

Nelson Moyer

On Jun 15, 2017, at 7:35 AM, 'Doug Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Greg did you retain copyright of your articles that Hundman published? If not, and you were compensated, they are most likely the property of the publisher, and by transfer, thus property of the C&OHS.

While I did not write anything for Hundman, and do not know his author agreements, I did write for Railroad Model Craftsman when published by Carstens Publications INC. I recall the checks from Carstens had a clause on the back stating when I endorsed the check (ie to cash/deposit) I was signing over ownership of the article. This meant Carstens could do anything they wanted, including reprinting/publishing, and I could not prevent them. At the time Bill Schaumburg advised me to retain copyright of my material by including a copyright notation on all work submitted. This permits me to use my work as I wish.

I think this practice is pretty standard in the publishing world. I undertand Kalmbach "buys" articles, and sometimes they sit for years before getting published, if ever. By paying for the article, Kalmbach becomes the owner and the author is prevented from publishing elsewhere.

Perhaps someone in the publishing industry or legal field can speak more directly to this matter. But if you did not retain copyright, you may not have control over material Hundman Publishing printed. That is my understanding.

Doug Harding

Douglas Harding

Nelson, that is good news. It sounds like the WhiteRiver Publications and the new RMC has taken a new position on the matter of who owns submitted material. Of course that is their position. It does not answer Greg Martin's question. Does anyone know what Hundman's policy was?

Doug Harding

ron christensen

That is an interesting change as Bob and I spoke several years ago about C&NW articles and at the time he gave the society verbal permission to use any C&NW article needed for the CNWHS Modeler.
 Per your statement we now have to ask the C&O society?
Ron Christensen

Al Kresse <water.kresse@...>

Do not assume anything.  Ask a general question to C&O HS folks to get Bob's Hundman's intent.  C&O HS rates ease of sharing railroad knowledge as their top priority.  I would GUESS not-for-profits just need to ask.

I don't have first hand knowledge of the agreement.

Al

On June 15, 2017 at 2:20 PM "rxensen@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

That is an interesting change as Bob and I spoke several years ago about C&NW articles and at the time he gave the society verbal permission to use any C&NW article needed for the CNWHS Modeler.

Per your statement we now have to ask the C&O society?
Ron Christensen

Tony Thompson

Years ago, Bill Schaumburg advised me to simply cross out that agreement on the check and write "no transfer" beneath. Absent such an agreement, the publisher only has rights to the appearance of the piece as published, that is, to the design and layout. The CONTENT remains the property of the author.

This means you cannot scan and post magazine articles without permission from at least the magazine, and in many cases, the author ALSO.
Tony Thompson 

On Jun 15, 2017, at 5:34 AM, 'Doug Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Doug Harding

Greg Martin

Dave,

I find myself asking this question once again. Why in heavens name would you ever try to reproduce a model of something from a $5.00 set of drawings? They ma be beautiful but they are nothing more or nothing less. It would be different id you have a professional copy of the velum/mylar. 

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 6/15/2017 12:46:54 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

It would be awfully nice if he were to draw what’s on the original drawings – stuff like dimensions and/or steel shape and weight -- instead of assuming everything was going to be used exactly as he made models – sheet of paper with un-dimensioned drawing at HO scale where one lays out styrene of the approximate size – or oversize -- for gluing.  As they were done all of his drawings – and most in MM from others -- are without value to me and in all likelihood w/o value for anyone trying to make something at Shapeways.

Dave Nelson

David Turner

All,

Thank you very much for the enlightening discussion of the procedure to obtain permission to reprint articles from Mainline Modeler.

As modeling columnist, I was inquiring for the purpose of determining the possibility of reprinting articles about the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway in the quarterly journal of the SP&S Historical Society.

As always, the members of this group are a great help in many projects.

Best regards,

David Turner

Greg Martin

Doug,

I understand the LAW very well and yes when I signed my Carstens checks I realized the same, and while it might have been presumed that I signed my rights away with Hundman I never actually signed anything of the likes, so it would be presumed I did retain them.

The Byline issue, well that was settled long ago and my Byline(s) are protected whether it was Scuttle Butt, at the Interchange, Weekender Project or whichever and I have used many, they are mine and I can share them but they are mine.

But, even more than the law I would think it a matter of business and ethics... again I would hole they would not without my permission. I can't speak for someone else.

Greg Martin  

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 6/15/2017 5:35:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:

Doug Harding