Amoco Tank

Dean Kinzley

I am a bit of a novice so the following are likely novice questions:  In the Speedwitch Freight Cars Ref Manuel, V 2, there is a photo of an Amoco tank AMOX 1799 which looks like it could be represented by Tichy tank kit #4020 and, if it could, is there a source for the decals?  Thanks.

Dean

Dave Parker

Dean:

Can you provide the page number for the car in question so we don't have to flip through the whole book?

Thanks,

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:19 AM, "Dean Kinzley dean.kinzley@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I am a bit of a novice so the following are likely novice questions:  In the Speedwitch Freight Cars Ref Manuel, V 2, there is a photo of an Amoco tank AMOX 1799 which looks like it could be represented by Tichy tank kit #4020 and, if it could, is there a source for the decals?  Thanks.

Dean

Tim O'Connor

It's an ACF Type 21 i.e. the Proto 2000 10,000 gallon car.

Tim O'

I am a bit of a novice so the following are likely novice questions:  In the Speedwitch Freight Cars Ref Manuel, V 2, there is a photo of an Amoco tank AMOX 1799 which looks like it could be represented by Tichy tank kit #4020 and, if it could, is there a source for the decals?  Thanks.

Dean

Dean Kinzley

Sorry, I meant to.  P. 22

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:34 PM, "Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Dean:

Can you provide the page number for the car in question so we don't have to flip through the whole book?

Thanks,

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:19 AM, "Dean Kinzley dean.kinzley@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I am a bit of a novice so the following are likely novice questions:  In the Speedwitch Freight Cars Ref Manuel, V 2, there is a photo of an Amoco tank AMOX 1799 which looks like it could be represented by Tichy tank kit #4020 and, if it could, is there a source for the decals?  Thanks.

Dean

Dave Parker

Dean:

Tim is correct; it is an AC&F Type 21, 10,000 gallons.

These are still available in Walthers Proto line, ready to run.  I have not seen the schemes on the the cars in Ted's book, nor decals for them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere.

Depending on what era you model, you might consider one of the Amoco predecessors. Amoco (aka American) became the east coast brand name for Standard Oil of Indiana.  Rights to those marketing areas were acquired when Standard bought Pan American Petroleum (in 1929), which in turn held  controlling interests in Mexican Petroleum (MPLX) and the American Oil Company (Baltimore).

There is a nice American Gas version of the car, and it happens to be on sale at Walthers today:
I own this car, but am still not 100% clear on what years the scheme would be appropriate for.  Walthers also has a black Pan Am version, but the same question applies.  I suspect (hope?) the answers may lie in the late Richard Hendrickson's photo collection, which I still have not had an opportunity to peruse.

PS:  As as been discussed here several times, the Tichy kit is based on the ~1918 USRA design that was never built.  It's a nice-looking car that does not model anything (accurately).

Hope this helps.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 12:11 PM, "Dean Kinzley dean.kinzley@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Sorry, I meant to.  P. 22

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 1:34 PM, "Dave Parker spottab@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Dean:

Can you provide the page number for the car in question so we don't have to flip through the whole book?

Thanks,

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:19 AM, "Dean Kinzley dean.kinzley@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I am a bit of a novice so the following are likely novice questions:  In the Speedwitch Freight Cars Ref Manuel, V 2, there is a photo of an Amoco tank AMOX 1799 which looks like it could be represented by Tichy tank kit #4020 and, if it could, is there a source for the decals?  Thanks.

Dean

Dean Kinzley

Thanks Dave