Brake Hose Detail Questions ...

Jim Betz

Hi,

  It is fairly common to see brake hoses (on models) that have been painted.

What I think is correct for our era is that the hose itself (the rubber part)

should be DULL black (rubber) - with considerable road grime that is often

almost brown, and the fittings (valve and hose end) should be oxidized rust

(most of the time), black (some times - if that particular RR painted theirs ...

but still dirty), and ... rarely ... white.  Additionally,

 I know that some RRs used a band of metal around the hose near the

end that is sometimes painted white, red, or (later, past our era) silver.

Were these bands even there in the post WW-II era?

  What I do not think is 'ever' (never say never) right is that the metal

fittings are silver.

  Do I have that, for the most part, correct?  For the post WW-II years!

Are there some RRs for which the exceptions I mentioned above are

'the rule' rather than the exception?

                                                                                                - Jim

earlyrail

It is fairly common to see brake hoses (on models) that have been painted.
What I think is correct for our era is that the hose itself (the rubber part)
should be DULL black (rubber) - with considerable road grime that is often
almost brown, and the fittings (valve and hose end) should be oxidized rust
(most of the time), black (some times - if that particular RR painted theirs ...
but still dirty), and ... rarely ... white. Additionally,
I know that some RRs used a band of metal around the hose near the
end that is sometimes painted white, red, or (later, past our era) silver.
Were these bands even there in the post WW-II era?
What I do not think is 'ever' (never say never) right is that the metal
fittings are silver.

Cannot find anything on a metal label.

However, 1953 Car Builders Cyclopedia has this definition:
Air Brake Hose Label. A label of red or white rubber vulcanized to the air-brake hose near one end. In the label is to be branded the initials or name of the railroad or other purchaser; the name of the manufacture; the date of manufacture; the hose serial number; and the monogram of the mechanical association.

Similar requirements date back to 1905 or earlier.

Howard Garner

Jim Betz

Howard,

  Thanks - I suspect those labels were for "wreck identification".
I remembered them wrong (that they were metal instead of
part of the rubber) ... or they are metal these days and they
weren't those days.  So much has been lost ...
                                                                              - Jim B.

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <jimbetz@...> wrote :

Howard,

  Thanks - I suspect those labels were for "wreck identification".
I remembered them wrong (that they were metal instead of
part of the rubber) ... or they are metal these days and they
weren't those days.  So much has been lost ...
                                                                              - Jim B.
=======================

That is correct, and the rubber looked like a tire patch (remember those?) and wasn't all that big, maybe 3/4" x 1-1/2", long way around the hose.

Dennis Storzek

earlyrail

Originally (1902) they were used to track install and removal dates with a range of years and months cast into the rubber in a manner that allowed the dates to be cut out without damage.
Ref: 1903 Car Builders Dictionary, page 2
Howard (1905) Garner

Michael Watnoski

What I do not think is 'ever' (never say never) right is that the metal fittings are silver.
Hi Jim,

Many of the couplings are iridite finished, a type of anodeization. This has a gold color that lasts a long time.

Michael

Bruce Smith

Michael,

Do you know when that finish began to be used on glad hands?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
What I do not think is 'ever' (never say never)
right is that the metal fittings are silver.
Hi Jim,

Many of the couplings are iridite finished, a
type of anodeization. This has a gold color that
lasts a long time.

Michael

------------------------------------
Posted by: Michael Watnoski <freestatesystems1@...>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Michael Watnoski

Hi Bruce,

Sorry, I was not keeping notes. Perhaps one of our freight car repairman could remember.

Michael

On 6/21/2017 7:55 PM, 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC] wrote:
Michael,
Do you know when that finish began to be used on glad hands?
Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
What I do not think is 'ever' (never say never)
right is that the metal fittings are silver.
Hi Jim,
Many of the couplings are iridite finished, a
type of anodeization. This has a gold color that
lasts a long time.
Michael
Posted by: Michael Watnoski <freestatesystems1@...>
Yahoo Groups Links