From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:21 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [STMFC] PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

I bought a Branchline PRR X43B kit at Collinsville for $6, and I need to know what power hand brake it would have for a 1951 build date. The photos I've found don't show the B end.

Nelson Moyer

Did freight cars have "power" hand brakes?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Not only have freight cars been equipped with power brakes, but they still are. They replaced to old upright brake wheels around 1930 or so. Power brakes are the ones with the geared housing on the end of the car, which provided more torque than the old upright brake wheels.

Nelson Moyer

It’s a shame that NMRA, MR, RMC, or some ‘authoritative’ source can’t come up with a glossary of standard railroad terminology for authors and publishers to follow. The RPM leadership has striven mightily to educate the great unwashed in vain. Even a prolific author of Kalmbach books still uses stirrup step instead of sill step, roof walk instead of running board, ad nauseum. Until such a glossary becomes universal, modelers will continue to misspeak and misunderstand.

Nelson Moyer

From: "Andy Jackson lajrmdlr@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date: 6/30/17 1:59 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: STMFC@...

Did freight cars have "power" hand brakes?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Nelson,

Sounds to me like you just nominated yourself. :-!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] wrote (in part):

�

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary . . . so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

Paul Koehler

Garth:

I second your motion, now its official Nelson is the man to do it.

Paul C. Koehler

Sounds to me like you just nominated yourself. :-!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] wrote (in part):

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary . . . so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Sorry, guys, but I don't have any clout with authors, editors, or the model press. Compiling is the easy part. Selling the concept to all of the publishers is entirely another matter. Besides, most modelers simply don't care about proper terminology. The just use the terms they read in MR, etc.

Nelson Moyer

On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@...<mailto:npmoyer@...> [STMFC] wrote (in part):

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary . . . so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

frograbbit602

Tony wrote, " The problem was solved well over a hundred years ago, and the solution can be found on the shelves of any good library."

The MR offices as the NMRA have wonderful libraries that contain the resources as Car Builder's Cyc.  Therefore, they have the resources if they choose to use them.  I do not have knowledge of RMC Offices; however, I suspect they have them too.
Lester Breuer