PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

Nelson Moyer

I bought a Branchline PRR X43B kit at Collinsville for $6, and I need to know what power hand brake it would have for a 1951 build date. The photos I’ve found don’t show the B end.

Nelson Moyer

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Nelson;

B-end photos are indeed rare:

Series 85400-86399 (1000 cars), car 86243 had a Miner brake
Segregated service cars in series 600000-601999 (2000 cars), car 600635 had a Universal with dished pressed-steel wheel

7-panel Superior doors,, rectangular grid r/b, nice Pressed Steel Car Co logo to left of door, plus this is one class that DID have a hyphen between X and 43B (as in X-43B; B is NOT smaller than other letters/numbers), as painted.

Elden Gatwood (working on the book as we speak)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2017 10:21 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [STMFC] PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

I bought a Branchline PRR X43B kit at Collinsville for $6, and I need to know what power hand brake it would have for a 1951 build date. The photos I've found don't show the B end.

Nelson Moyer

Did freight cars have "power" hand brakes?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Not only have freight cars been equipped with power brakes, but they still are. They replaced to old upright brake wheels around 1930 or so. Power brakes are the ones with the geared housing on the end of the car, which provided more torque than the old upright brake wheels.

Nelson Moyer

It’s a shame that NMRA, MR, RMC, or some ‘authoritative’ source can’t come up with a glossary of standard railroad terminology for authors and publishers to follow. The RPM leadership has striven mightily to educate the great unwashed in vain. Even a prolific author of Kalmbach books still uses stirrup step instead of sill step, roof walk instead of running board, ad nauseum. Until such a glossary becomes universal, modelers will continue to misspeak and misunderstand.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:59 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Dave Parker

I'm not sure I understand how such a glossary could become "universal", and I might quibble with the characterization of those institutions as "authoritative".

I believe that every issue of the CBC contains a lengthy glossary.  I also suspect that the majority of people who care about such things own at least one.  The ones up to and including 1922 are either free or relatively inexpensive. 

I consult my 1931 edition concerning terminology with some regularity.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Friday, June 30, 2017 1:45 PM, "Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC]" wrote:

It’s a shame that NMRA, MR, RMC, or some ‘authoritative’ source can’t come up with a glossary of standard railroad terminology for authors and publishers to follow. The RPM leadership has striven mightily to educate the great unwashed in vain. Even a prolific author of Kalmbach books still uses stirrup step instead of sill step, roof walk instead of running board, ad nauseum. Until such a glossary becomes universal, modelers will continue to misspeak and misunderstand.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 1:59 PM

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tony Thompson

Nelson Moyer wrote:

With all due respect, Nelson, I think you are missing the entire point. The Cycs from the beginning have offered a standard RAILROAD INDUSTRY standard vocabulary. Why on earth should NMRA or any magazine offer a "different" set of railroad terms? The problem was solved well over a hundred years ago, and the solution can be found on the shelves of any good library.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Nelson Moyer

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary. I'm not advocating a 'different' set of terms, just a standard set based on railroad usage that publishers would be willing to adopt universally. As long as hobby publications perpetuate non-standard usage, hobbyists will continue to use the terms they read in the model press whether they are accurate or not. Access to the CYCs and finding the correct terms takes a bit of effort, so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

Nelson Moyer wrote:

It's a shame that NMRA, MR, RMC, or some 'authoritative' source can't come up with a glossary of standard railroad terminology for authors and publishers to follow. The RPM leadership has striven mightily to educate the great unwashed in vain. Even a prolific author of Kalmbach books still uses stirrup step instead of sill step, roof walk instead of running board, ad nauseum. Until such a glossary becomes universal, modelers will continue to misspeak and misunderstand.

With all due respect, Nelson, I think you are missing the entire point. The Cycs from the beginning have offered a standard RAILROAD INDUSTRY standard vocabulary. Why on earth should NMRA or any magazine offer a "different" set of railroad terms? The problem was solved well over a hundred years ago, and the solution can be found on the shelves of any good library.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com<http://www.signaturepress.com>
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...<mailto:tony@...>
Publishers of books on railroad history

tnbirke <tnbirke@...>

Yes, that meant "geared" I think. Tom Birkett,  Bartlesville, OK.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 6/30/17 1:59 PM (GMT-06:00)

Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Nelson,

Sounds to me like you just nominated yourself. :-!

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] wrote (in part):

�

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary . . . so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

Paul Koehler

Garth:

I second your motion, now its official Nelson is the man to do it.

Paul C. Koehler

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 5:11 PM

Nelson,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@... [STMFC] wrote (in part):

I agree totally, Tony, but many authors and publishers ignore industry vocabulary . . . so I'm suggesting that a person or group compile the list, make it widely available, and encourage authors and publishers to use the list.

Nelson Moyer

Nelson Moyer

Sorry, guys, but I don't have any clout with authors, editors, or the model press. Compiling is the easy part. Selling the concept to all of the publishers is entirely another matter. Besides, most modelers simply don't care about proper terminology. The just use the terms they read in MR, etc.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 7:23 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: PRR X43B Power Hand Brake Question

Garth:

I second your motion, now its official Nelson is the man to do it.

Paul C. Koehler

Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 5:11 PM

Nelson,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff
On 6/30/17 5:45 PM, Nelson Moyer npmoyer@...<mailto:npmoyer@...> [STMFC] wrote (in part):

Nelson Moyer

frograbbit602

Tony wrote, " The problem was solved well over a hundred years ago, and the solution can be found on the shelves of any good library."

The MR offices as the NMRA have wonderful libraries that contain the resources as Car Builder's Cyc.  Therefore, they have the resources if they choose to use them.  I do not have knowledge of RMC Offices; however, I suspect they have them too.
Lester Breuer