Another Steamtown NHS Image - DL&W 38555

Richard Brennan

After a bit of an other-topics hiatus, the NPS Steamtown photo collection posted by Historian/Archivist Pat (Richard) McKnight on the ErieLack list returns to the freight car topic...

A nicely-lit 1915 roster shot of DL&W 38555... a 36ft Class H-11 box car, built June 1910, including a good look at brake rigging and trucks.

Since I know we ALL appropriately stencil the top arch bar of our cars' trucks... (i.e. Journal size and Bearing material...) this photo will guide the faithful application of the lettering!!!!!

Possibly more photos upcoming...

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 03:05 AM 7/1/2017, on [ErieLack] McKnight, Richard wrote:
<snip>

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-07-01-17

B2144.jpg (image/jpeg, 2918x2285 557104 bytes, BF: 11.97 ppb)
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-07-01-17/B2144.jpg
B2144--Boxcar no. 38555 [1915.xx.xx]

--
Patrick McKnight
Historian/Archivist

John Barry

I faithfully reproduce that detail on ALL of the arch bar trucks legally used in interchange on my December 1944 layout!

Oh, rats, they were outlawed before the war ;-)

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

After a bit of an other-topics hiatus, the NPS Steamtown photo
collection posted by Historian/Archivist Pat (Richard) McKnight on
the ErieLack list returns to the freight car topic...

A nicely-lit 1915 roster shot of DL&W 38555... a 36ft Class H-11 box
car, built June 1910, including a good look at brake rigging and trucks.

Since I know we ALL appropriately stencil the top arch bar of our
cars' trucks... (i.e. Journal size and Bearing material...) this
photo will guide the faithful application of the lettering!!!!!

Possibly more photos upcoming...

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 03:05 AM 7/1/2017, on [ErieLack] McKnight, Richard wrote:

>http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-07-01-17
>

>B2144.jpg (image/jpeg, 2918x2285 557104 bytes, BF: 11.97 ppb)
>http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-07-01-17/B2144.jpg
>B2144--Boxcar no. 38555 [1915.xx.xx]
>
>--
>Patrick McKnight
>Historian/Archivist
>Steamtown NHS
>150 S. Washington Avenue
>Scranton, PA

Schuyler Larrabee

A great car to model! Not all of its ladder rungs are perfectly level, like
a lot of my models . . . 8^/

Schuyler

[...]

Nor are the grabs all the same.  Note the half drop on the bottom of grab ladder the far right of the car and the bottom grab on the end on the left.  Not sure from the background if that is a half or full drop.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

A great car to model! Not all of its ladder rungs are perfectly level, like
a lot of my models . . . 8^/

Schuyler

After a bit of an other-topics hiatus, the NPS Steamtown photo
collection posted by Historian/Archivist Pat (Richard) McKnight on
the ErieLack list returns to the freight car topic...

A nicely-lit 1915 roster shot of DL&W 38555... a 36ft Class H-11 box
car, built June 1910, including a good look at brake rigging and trucks.

Since I know we ALL appropriately stencil the top arch bar of our
cars' trucks... (i.e. Journal size and Bearing material...) this
photo will guide the faithful application of the lettering!!!!!

Possibly more photos upcoming...

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 03:05 AM 7/1/2017, on [ErieLack] McKnight, Richard wrote:

>http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-07-01-17
>

>B2144.jpg (image/jpeg, 2918x2285 557104 bytes, BF: 11.97 ppb)
>http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-07-01-17/B2144.jpg
>B2144--Boxcar no. 38555 [1915.xx.xx]
>
>--
>Patrick McKnight
>Historian/Archivist
>Steamtown NHS
>150 S. Washington Avenue
>Scranton, PA

Schuyler Larrabee

And, John, when blowing the image up a LOT, I note above the lower corner braces, what looks like a bolt or something, which I’d guess to be the end of a transverse rod to hold the car sides together at the ends?

The half drop grabs seem odd, as in wet, or really any weather you’d think that a switchman grabbing hold of the car and putting his foot on these grabs would appreciate not having the risk of his foot slipping off the flat end of the grab, no?

Schuyler

_____

From: "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" <

[...]

Eric Hansmann

DL&W 38555 is part of series 38000-38995 with 622 listed in-service, as per
the October 1926 ORER.

These cars had an inside length of 36-feet, 3-inches; and 8-foot, 6-inch
inside width; and an 8-foot interior height. They were rated at 60000 pound
and 2465 cubic feet capacity. Nearly all are noted as having steel
underframes and friction draft gear.

In addition to this car series, there are a few more listed with similar
dimensional data.

10000-10199 - 23 listed in automobile service (XA)
39000-40824 - 1220 cars
40825-41572 - 537 cars
42500-42999 - 637 cars, rated as 80000 pound capacity
43000-43499 - 355 cars, rated as 80000 pound capacity
43500-43999 - 67 cars, rated as 80000 pound capacity

A total of 3,483 DL&W box cars are listed with these similar dimensions in
1926, plus 23 automobile box cars. These cars represent 22.5% of the 15,295
box car fleet at that time.

My current 1926 fleet has few DL&W box cars so this might be a target for a
future addition.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

From: "'Schuyler Larrabee' schuyler.larrabee@... [STMFC]" <

[...]