Topics

Square Wire for Vertical Brake Staffs

Bill Welch

Until recently I was unaware the ExactRail had done a 42-ft General Steel Castings flat car and the Revenue Service schemes are sold, but I was able to find one very reasonable on Ebay. Since purchase I have replaced their Cheesy deck parts w/one from AMB. It is a very nice model and the paint and stenciling is very sharp and I am sure it is good as Dick Harley helped them.

The handbrake shaft was broken and this morning I clipped it all the way off and drilled the brake wheel for a brass shaft. The Exactrail shaft was square and this got me to thinking it would be so evil if there was square wire available at around .015". Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I Googled and did find Jewelry sites with square material but it is too large and on a spool to boot.

A square brake shaft on the "B" end of a boxcar would be vey cool I think.

Bill Welch

spsalso

Tim O'Connor

A Google search for square wire finds sizes down to 30 gauge which is
0.010 instead of 0.016 - quite a difference in HO scale!

Tim O'

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <fgexbill@...> wrote :

A square brake shaft on the "B" end of a boxcar would be vey cool I think.

Bill Welch
=======================

Careful with assumptions, Bill. I've looked at a lot of drawings, and more than a few surviving cars, and don't recall ever seeing square stock specified for a vertical brake staff. The tapered square end that fit the brake wheel was easy enough to forge on round stock.

Where square stock was universally used was drop brakes on flatcars, since the whole staff had to slip through the ratchet wheel, and should be functional at any point between fully raised to fully retracted.

Special Shapes Co. used to have .020" square brass, which at a scale 1.75" square, was about the perfect size. I used some on a flatcar model years ago.

Dennis Storzek

Bill Welch

Thanks Edward, I dug a little deeper and made an offer for this item w/free shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111326669989?ul_noapp=true

I will probably buy a dedicated set of cutters. First boxcar to get the square wire will be an Erie 1932 steel boxcar.

Bill Welch

Rod Miller

When building several SP flat cars, I noticed the brake
staff was square. I presume that was to allow vertical movement
of the staff, e.g., lowered to below the deck surface, but
retain effectiveness of the wheel. See Thompson's SP Freight
Cars Vol 3. p 252, top photo.

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman

mwbauers

Square brass wire, also NS wire and if you'd care to use it, square silver wire is a stock supply in the fine arts jewelry makers supply stores.

It's quite possible that our past hobby suppliers of the stuff sourced it from them.

Mike Bauers

On Jul 9, 2017, at 7:15 PM, "destorzek@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Where square stock was universally used was drop brakes on flatcars, since the whole staff had to slip through the ratchet wheel, and should be functional at any point between fully raised to fully retracted.

Special Shapes Co. used to have .020" square brass, which at a scale 1.75" square, was about the perfect size. I used some on a flatcar model years ago.

mwbauers

Craft beading wire is available as square brass wire, 0.020 thick, 4-meter long coils, at $7

You'll have to use the classic pull method to get straight rod out of the coiled wire. But brass pull-straightens very easily. It's a very old method that has long been used in the hobby.

Mike Bauers

On Jul 9, 2017, at 2:40 PM, "fgexbill@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

A square brake shaft on the "B" end of a boxcar would be vey cool I think

Peter Hall

 Judging from end photos in "Focus on Freight Cars,” it looks like some box cars had hexagonal shafts.

Any chance someone has found hexagonal wire that would be suitable, or is that too much to ask?

Thanks
Pete

On Jul 10, 2017, at 3:33 AM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Square brass wire, also NS wire and if you'd care to use it, square silver wire is a stock supply in the fine arts jewelry makers supply stores.

It's quite possible that our past hobby suppliers of the stuff sourced it from them.

Mike Bauers

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 7:15 PM, "destorzek@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:
>
> Where square stock was universally used was drop brakes on flatcars, since the whole staff had to slip through the ratchet wheel, and should be functional at any point between fully raised to fully retracted.
>
> Special Shapes Co. used to have .020" square brass, which at a scale 1.75" square, was about the perfect size. I used some on a flatcar model years ago.

spsalso

I think if I were cutting square (or other) stainless wire, I would use a cutoff wheel.

Ed

Bill Welch

.020" seems too large for a Brake Shaft but I would appreciate other opinions. The .016 x .016 Dental Wire I was looking at is in fact Ovoid so re-thinking this thing.

Bill Welch

Dave Parker

Peter Hall asked about hexagonal wire.

In the jewelry world there is a tool (drawplate) that allows you to reshape round wire into hex, as long as the wire is on the soft side.

You'd want about 26 gauge wire for an HO scale brake staff (~1-1/4").

But if I were going to make one, I'd try the core from a "wound" guitar string (the low ones, E-A-D, and sometimes G).  These days many are wrapped using a hex core, and there is infinite variety in size.  All things being equal, I would try an acoustic string as the outer wraps are usually a softer bronze alloy and might be easier to remove.  The steel core wants to be straight, and is almost impossible to kink except with a pair of pliers.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that I could discern a hex staff from a round one in HO scale (~0.014"), not with these old eyes.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Monday, July 10, 2017 12:00 PM, "fgexbill@... [STMFC]" wrote:

.020" seems too large for a Brake Shaft but I would appreciate other opinions. The .016 x .016 Dental Wire I was looking at is in fact Ovoid so re-thinking this thing.

Bill Welch

npin53

Through hole type LED's have square wire leads. With the one I have in front of me, the leads measure .018 square. 1.10" long.

Aaron Gjermundson