HO 20 car freight car train

Andy Carlson

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

Tim O'Connor

Andy

Twenty PFE ice reefers, of course. Sheesh. They went everywhere.

;-)

Tim O'Connor

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

SUVCWORR@...

Nah  18 X29, X29B, X29D  one NYC signature car and one B&O M15

Rich Orr
Tongue firmly in cheek

Twenty PFE ice reefers, of course. Sheesh. They went everywhere.

;-)

Tim O'Connor

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

Todd Sullivan

Well, here's a stab at the 20 cars (in no particular order):

  1. PRR X29 (Red Caboose)
  2. PRR G31 gondola (Tangent)
  3. NYC 'USRA' steel 40' boxcar (Westerfield)
  4. CB&Q 40' postwar boxcar (IMR)
  5. B&O Wagontop (Exactrail or Fox)
  6. PFE 40' reefer (Red Caboose or IMR)
  7. SP 53' flat w/ lbr load (RC/SP Soc + Owl Mtn)
  8. UP 40' boxcar (sorry, I like the Trix despite it's problems)
  9. SOU 40' AAR boxcar (RC or IMR)
  10. ATSF 40' 1937 boxcar (RC)
  11. UTLX ICC 105 tank car (Atlas or Kadee)
  12. SHPX 10k Type 27 tank car
  13. GATX 6k 3-dome tank car (Tangent)
  14. FGCX 50' mech reefer - the very early style (RC?)
  15. RI 40' PS-1 "100 Years" (Kadee)
  16. B&O offset side twin hopper (Kadee?)
  17. GARX 37' meat reefer - pick a lessee (Rapido)
  18. SFRD 40' reefer (IMR)
  19. B&M 40' 1937 AAR boxcar (RC)
  20. PRR X31 or X32 round roof auto bx (Bowser)

Now the wrangling about druthers can begin!

Todd Sullivan

Clark Propst

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

Any train I’ll be running when I finish my layout  ;  ))
Clark Propst
Mason City Iowa

Ian Cranstone

On 2017-07-27, at 4:59 PM, sullivant41@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

I like Todd's list except for number 13... although the Tangent GATC 3-dome tank is an exquisite model, 3-compartment tank cars in 1955 comprised just under 2% of the total tank car fleet (other multi-compartment tank cars were even rarer).  I'd substitute their recent GATC Type 17 car instead as they were far more common.

Ian Cranstone
Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

Tim O'Connor

Todd's list is excellent for a newbie - But I would substitute
the Broadway Limited car for the NYC (it's the only resin kit in
Tod's list), and NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer
in HO scale, for the 1950's or any other time period.

So substitute a hopper car (open or covered) for the RP reefer,
and you're all set.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

vapeurchapelon

I would not forget the truly excellent (in my eyes) Red Caboose drop bottom gondola - either wood or steel.

Johannes

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juli 2017 um 23:45 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
An: stmfc@...
Betreff: [STMFC] Re: HO 20 car freight car train

[...]

Except for the requirement for a generic train (i.e. could be found in every
region of the country). GS gondolas were numerous in some places and completely
non-existent in some parts of the country.

Tim O'

I would not forget the truly excellent (in my eyes) Red Caboose drop bottom gondola - either wood or steel.

Johannes

Tony Thompson

      As it happens, I've already pretty much expressed my views on this, and showed photos of the models, too, in my two-part article in Model Railroad Hobbyist, in April 2013 and August 2015.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Aley, Jeff A

If I Recall Correctly, Brian Carlson did such an analysis a few years ago and published it as a clinic.  The only difference was that his timeframe was 1957 or 1959 or something.  I just remember that it was a little past my cutoff date.

Regards,

-Jeff

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

anthony wagner

I'd substitute an FGEX wood sheathed reefer for the mechanical. I'd also substitute a single sheathed composite box for one of the AAR steel cars. Both  types were still commonplace through the 50s and well into the 60s and still existed in some numbers into the early 70s. Also one might consider a B&O M-26 box instead of the three dome tank car which were far from common..The M-26s were often confused from a distance with PRR X-29s because they were so similar but they were equally as commonplace. Also, just because there were so many more of them I'd substitute a New Haven box for the B&M and a RI "Route of the Rockets" AAR box for the PS-1. IMO the whole  point of generic is to avoid relatively uncommon or unusual freight cars. Tony Wagner

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:46 PM, "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]" wrote:

[...]

I really like the suggestions for substitutions made so far.  The list was limited to 20 cars, and I did consider some of the suggested cars, but had to make the cut somewhere.  Now, if we increased it to 25 or 30 ... lots more could be added!   ;-)

Todd Sullivan

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

While the Red Caboose DBG is a nice model, I would suggest the Details Associates DBG instead... much better done (although it does need some weight). There are a bunch of them still around...

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:09 PM, "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Except for the requirement for a generic train (i.e. could be found in every
region of the country). GS gondolas were numerous in some places and completely
non-existent in some parts of the country.

Tim O'

I would not forget the truly excellent (in my eyes) Red Caboose drop bottom gondola - either wood or steel.

Johannes

Bill Welch

Kudos to you Todd for sticking you neck out and for taking Andy's question seriously. I think the responses to your list have been very thoughtful as well. I find myself sort of stymied, trying to think outside the region that interests me the most. Easier to do in my mind on a regional basis. Excellent challenge Andy, very thoughtful.

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

​Johannes,

We're not only talking quality here, but representative cars.  Unless you are a western US modeler, that's not a choice I would make.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Juli 2017 um 23:45 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]"
An: stmfc@...

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

There really is no "generic" location, and while sparking an lively conversation, "generic" has no real relevance. The suggested mix of cars seems to be typical of the upper midwest, and that's fine if it is your interest. It probably gives the best spread of roads nationally.

A train on the West Coast would be quite different, and would be tipped heavily toward whatever major railroad owned the track (or for a shortline was their main connection): ATSF, UP, SP, WP, GN, NP, or MILW.

My interest right now is a Southern-connected Virginia shortline, and the mix would be tipped heavily towards Southern equipment, with boxcars, a hopper and a gondola making up around 1/3 of the train, 1-2 FEGX reefers, representative cars (mostly boxcars) from the B&O, NYC, PRR, SAL, ACL, with the requisite NP boxcar and one boxcar each from the SP and ATSF.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/27/17 4:42 PM, SUVCWORR@... [STMFC] wrote:

Nah  18 X29, X29B, X29D  one NYC signature car and one B&O M15

Rich Orr
Tongue firmly in cheek

Twenty PFE ice reefers, of course. Sheesh. They went everywhere.

;-)

Tim O'Connor

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

Bruce Smith

Garth,

Not to beat a dead horse, but if the request is with respect to boxcars, it most certainly is possible and since Andy refers to the N-G model, I'll assume that's what he meant.  Flat cars work that way too. Doing it that way one would fail to account for home road cars being present in higher numbers but basically, we should just name the 20 most common boxcar classes in the US for 1955.

If you add in hoppers, guns, tank cars, and reefers, then yes, I agree with you.

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Twenty PFE ice reefers, of course. Sheesh. They went everywhere.

;-)

Tim O'Connor

Suppose someone were to ask you for help in selecting 20 available models in HO to do a string of 20 cars for a 1955 generic location in North America with state-of-the-art accuracy important (NO Tyco). With influencing constraints of Gilbert/Nelson combined with what is best in HO freight cars, what 20 models would you suggest for this hypothetical assemblage? Resin, Kitbashed or RTR.

Andy Carlson, with too much time this morning in Ojai, CA

The list seems to have "one of every kind" but most trains had groups of some of the cars listed. And those groups like reefers would be seasonal. And reefers out of states like CA would ship produce 12 months a year.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA

Tony Thompson

Bruce Smith wrote:

We're not only talking quality here, but representative cars.  Unless you are a western US modeler, that's not a choice I would make.

  But if we avoid any regional "bias," we have a generic train which wouldn't have run anywhere. Even bridge-route trains differ inside and outside of coal country.