Topics

"Accurate 50 Foot Mechanical Reefer"

thecitrusbelt@...

Tim O'Connor mentioned, "NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer in HO scale..."

I have a long-time friend in Athearn's product development department (OK, I know some of you would prefer a more esteemed manufacturer.)  and I have been asking him for a first generation fifty-foot mechanical reefer for about six years.

About four months ago he told me Athearn has this on the table for discussion, along with several other cars as you would expect. They are still mulling this over but maybe, just maybe, this project will get the green light.

I save my prayers for more important things but this definitely is high up on my personal wish list. Uncle Irv, wherever you are (opinions vary), please answer my wish.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

Tim O'Connor recently stated ".....and NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer
in HO scale, for the 1950's or any other time period."

This seems to me incorrect.  I immediately thought of two examples.  After the KurtzKraft PS-1 and 40 foot reefer 'flat kits' came something in the mid-1960s from Pacific HO of Pomona, Calif.  It was another flat kit labeled 50' Mechanical Reefer.  While sold for, I think four different road names, at least one was correct (again, I think) for the FGEX 1300 series.  Other than better running boards, ladders, hand holds, and some of the details we can add, this kit would live up to most current rivet counting expectations.

Even if the above is unacceptable, WrightTrak produced the same FGEX/Western Fruit kit in very crisp resin and etchings.  It seems a lovely job we should be happy to have and build.

This prototype perhaps came later than the 1955 hypothetical 20 car train but the prototype was certainly with us before January 1, 1961.  The kits are still with us if you look for them.

Regards from Grove City in Western Penna.----Mike Schleigh