Topics

"Accurate 50 Foot Mechanical Reefer"

thecitrusbelt@...

Tim O'Connor mentioned, "NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer in HO scale..."

I have a long-time friend in Athearn's product development department (OK, I know some of you would prefer a more esteemed manufacturer.)  and I have been asking him for a first generation fifty-foot mechanical reefer for about six years.

About four months ago he told me Athearn has this on the table for discussion, along with several other cars as you would expect. They are still mulling this over but maybe, just maybe, this project will get the green light.

I save my prayers for more important things but this definitely is high up on my personal wish list. Uncle Irv, wherever you are (opinions vary), please answer my wish.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

Tim O'Connor recently stated ".....and NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer
in HO scale, for the 1950's or any other time period."

This seems to me incorrect.  I immediately thought of two examples.  After the KurtzKraft PS-1 and 40 foot reefer 'flat kits' came something in the mid-1960s from Pacific HO of Pomona, Calif.  It was another flat kit labeled 50' Mechanical Reefer.  While sold for, I think four different road names, at least one was correct (again, I think) for the FGEX 1300 series.  Other than better running boards, ladders, hand holds, and some of the details we can add, this kit would live up to most current rivet counting expectations.

Even if the above is unacceptable, WrightTrak produced the same FGEX/Western Fruit kit in very crisp resin and etchings.  It seems a lovely job we should be happy to have and build.

This prototype perhaps came later than the 1955 hypothetical 20 car train but the prototype was certainly with us before January 1, 1961.  The kits are still with us if you look for them.

Regards from Grove City in Western Penna.----Mike Schleigh 

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] "Accurate 50 Foot Mechanical Reefer"

Tim O'Connor mentioned, "NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer in HO scale..."

I have a long-time friend in Athearn's product development department (OK, I know some of you would prefer a more esteemed manufacturer.)  and I have been asking him for a first generation fifty-foot mechanical reefer for about six years.

About four months ago he told me Athearn has this on the table for discussion, along with several other cars as you would expect. They are still mulling this over but maybe, just maybe, this project will get the green light.

I save my prayers for more important things but this definitely is high up on my personal wish list. Uncle Irv, wherever you are (opinions vary), please answer my wish.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Bob

The ancient Athearn R-70-11 and Athearn R-70-5 actually have fairly accurate sides, but the
roof and ends were borrowed from their 50 foot box car, and the underframe was modified to
accomodate fuel tanks but otherwise is equally bogus. And of course all the ladders etc are
molded in place, and there are no etched metal details.

One of the features I really like about the R-70-5 was its use of two DIFFERENT ends. On the
end of the car with refrigeration unit, there is a 5/5 dreadnaught end, and on the other end of
the car is a 3/4 improved dreadnaught end.

For more than 50 years (!!!) people have been kitbashing them into better models. It really is time
for improved models!

Athearn clearly has the ability to produce superior models when they want to. They have produced
MANY excellent post-1960 models including modern 57 foot FGE reefers that are just outstanding.

Tim O'Connor

I have a long-time friend in Athearn's product development department (OK, I know some of you would prefer a more esteemed manufacturer.)  and I have been asking him for a first generation fifty-foot mechanical reefer for about six years.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Mike,

You are partly correct - someone MADE (not MAKES) a 50 foot RP, the Pacific HO
model that you mentioned. And you're correct, Wright Trak made EXACTLY THE SAME
car, but with a fancier and more accurate underframe, improved roof and ends, and
other details as you said. But I'm not sure Wright Trak is still in production.
In any case, it's not a newbie kit.

FGE had around 700 cars (multiple orders), WFE (200 in 4 orders), BRE (less than
50 cars I think) all had them, or something closely resembling them. A high-fidelity
RTR model probably would be as good a choice as any other. The cars built by FGE
were the most numerous 50 foot RP prototype before 1960.

The main FGEX series was 1000-1600, 600 cars in 1959. These cars all appear to be
identical. FGE also had more than 100 cars scattered in 1-999 series.

The Pacific HO kit was notable for its inclusion of a detail no one else has ever
done (well?) in an HO kit - a cast metal Royal F slack adjuster.

I would be very interested in a Santa Fe prototype. Some of the Santa Fe cars had
54 foot bodies, e.g. 500 Rr-69's built by General American. Too modern for STMFC :-(

Tim O'

Hello Group!

Tim O'Connor recently stated ".....and NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer

This seems to me incorrect.  I immediately thought of two examples.  After the KurtzKraft PS-1 and 40 foot reefer 'flat kits' came something in the mid-1960s from Pacific HO of Pomona, Calif.  It was another flat kit labeled 50' Mechanical Reefer.  While sold for, I think four different road names, at least one was correct (again, I think) for the FGEX 1300 series.  Other than better running boards, ladders, hand holds, and some of the details we can add, this kit would live up to most current rivet counting expectations.

Even if the above is unacceptable, WrightTrak produced the same FGEX/Western Fruit kit in very crisp resin and etchings.  It seems a lovely job we should be happy to have and build.

This prototype perhaps came later than the 1955 hypothetical 20 car train but the prototype was certainly with us before January 1, 1961.  The kits are still with us if you look for them.

al_brown03

A Royal F slack adjuster is available from Shapeways.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Tim O'Connor

A Royal F slack adjuster is available from Shapeways.
Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Yep. Not cheap though. 3D Detail parts can really drive up the cost of
a super-detailed model!

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CLN3G7UA4/ho-brake-regulator-slack-adjuster-kit

Tim O'

Bill Welch

$2.25 per part seems reasonable this day and time. There is additional shipping but maybe order two sets at the same shipping cost.

Bill Welch

SUVCWORR@...

Tim,

The Fruit Growers 50 mechanical reefer is available from Wright Trak   http://wrighttrak.com/page3.php?view=productListPage&category=1

I am not affiliated with nor a dealer for Wright Trak.

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Thu, Jul 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Mike,

car, but with a fancier and more accurate underframe, improved roof and ends, and

FGE had around 700 cars (multiple orders), WFE (200 in 4 orders), BRE (less than
50 cars I think) all had them, or something closely resembling them. A high-fidelity
RTR model probably would be as good a choice as any other. The cars built by FGE

The main FGEX series was 1000-1600, 600 cars in 1959. These cars all appear to be

The Pacific HO kit was notable for its inclusion of a detail no one else has ever

I would be very interested in a Santa Fe prototype. Some of the Santa Fe cars had
54 foot bodies, e.g. 500 Rr-69's built by General American. Too modern for STMFC :-(

Tim O'

Hello Group!

Tim O'Connor recently stated ".....and NO ONE MAKES an accurate 50 foot mechanical reefer

This seems to me incorrect.  I immediately thought of two examples.  After the KurtzKraft PS-1 and 40 foot reefer 'flat kits' came something in the mid-1960s from Pacific HO of Pomona, Calif.  It was another flat kit labeled 50' Mechanical Reefer.  While sold for, I think four different road names, at least one was correct (again, I think) for the FGEX 1300 series.  Other than better running boards, ladders, hand holds, and some of the details we can add, this kit would live up to most current rivet counting expectations.

Even if the above is unacceptable, WrightTrak produced the same FGEX/Western Fruit kit in very crisp resin and etchings.  It seems a lovely job we should be happy to have and build.

This prototype perhaps came later than the 1955 hypothetical 20 car train but the prototype was certainly with us before January 1, 1961.  The kits are still with us if you look for them.

Bill Welch

While true, they do not support their model by providing decals. Their model represents cars built from 1955 through 1957.

Bill Welch

Jim Hayes

This seems like a good time to say that I have 2 Pacific HO 50' mechanical reefer kits for sale, both NIB, one NP, one Burlington.
$30 each plus shipping.

Jim Hayes

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 9:49 AM, SUVCWORR@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Tim,

The Fruit Growers 50 mechanical reefer is available from Wright Trak   http://wrighttrak.com/page3.php?view=productListPage&category=1

I am not affiliated with nor a dealer for Wright Trak.

Rich Orr

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thu, Jul 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Mike,

Tim O'

Hello Group!

John Moore

Tim O'

Tim 

Here is some information on Santa Fe Mechanical Refrigerator Cars - body lengths as measured over the end sills.

Typically for modelers we look at the length of a car over the end sills.  Sometimes that is hard to find after the incorporation of various cushions devices.  There is also a length over strikers and length over the pulling faces of the couplers.

For modelers of Santa Fe Refrigerator cars here are the length over end sills of the body of the mechanical refrigerator cars which fall within the 1960s time frame limit.

Rr-31 1955-1960 (length over end sills) LOES  50' 6 1/2"
Rr-46 1949-1953 LOES   41' 5"
Rr-54 1953-1966 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-56 1955-1962 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-60 1958-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-61 1958-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-65 1960-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-66 1960-1978 LOES   52'  4"

John B. Moore,Jr.
Albuquerque

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:31 PM

Mike,

Tim O'

Posted by: Tim O'Connor
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

FWIW, those Pacific HO cars were picked up and produced by Walthers for years after the original kits were produced, although they are probably gone by now.

Bill Daniels San Francisco, CA

On Friday, July 28, 2017 2:28 PM, "okladivjohn@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Tim O'

Tim 

Here is some information on Santa Fe Mechanical Refrigerator Cars - body lengths as measured over the end sills.

Typically for modelers we look at the length of a car over the end sills.  Sometimes that is hard to find after the incorporation of various cushions devices.  There is also a length over strikers and length over the pulling faces of the couplers.

For modelers of Santa Fe Refrigerator cars here are the length over end sills of the body of the mechanical refrigerator cars which fall within the 1960s time frame limit.

Rr-31 1955-1960 (length over end sills) LOES  50' 6 1/2"
Rr-46 1949-1953 LOES   41' 5"
Rr-54 1953-1966 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-56 1955-1962 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-60 1958-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-61 1958-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-65 1960-1980 LOES   52'  4"
Rr-66 1960-1978 LOES   52'  4"

John B. Moore,Jr.
Albuquerque

Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 9:31 PM

Mike,

Tim O'

Posted by: Tim O'Connor
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.