Topics

Help ID'ing cars in MPA notebooks

James McDonald

Dear list,

I’ve been transcribing some early 1950s pocket notebooks from the Superintendent of MoW on the Maryland & Pennsylvania RR. There are frequent notes of freight cars as MoW materials came in, or in rare cases things were shipped out by the MoW crew. I’ve been trying to collect info about the specifics of the cars listed. Most of them I was able to find in my 1950 ORER, rosters, equipment diagram books, or other literature, but I still have a few cars I would appreciate help identifying. Does anyone have info on the following cars they’d be willing to share?

Car Place Date Load
ATSF 169555 Red Lion, PA 1952 Bridge Timbers, 5
MILW 791153 Red Lion, PA 1952/3? Wire, GE Versatol-Geoprene
WM 59792 ? 1953 Ties, 282
DH 13789 Bruce, PA 09-01-1953 Ties, 342

All the best,

James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD.

Steve SANDIFER

ATSF 169555 should be a GA-61 gondola, a war emergency gondola (Tichy), wood sides, Barber Stablized S-2 trucks.

J. Stephen Sandifer

[...]

Bill Keene <wakeene@...>

James,

I can provide a bit of info regarding ATSF 169555

169500-169699 (200 cars) are 52-foot 6-inch long solid bottom drop end mill gondolas, class GA-61, built by Pullman Standard Car Manufacturing Company in 1943. By 1951 there were 170 remaining in the series after 30 cars were renumbered into the 176650-176668 series when equipped with racks for Plymouth automobile frames (19 cars initially in 1945 with a total in the series of 36 in 1953) and the 176670-176733 series (11 cars in 1951 with a total in the series of 63 in 1956). These were AAR “War Emergency” composite design.

Photos of the GA-61 — and the identical except for trucks GA-63 class (200 cars) built by General American in 1943 — can be found on pages 150-153 of the Santa Fe Open-Top Cars book published by the SFRH&MS.

Hope that the above is a bit of help in answering your question.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Jul 31, 2017, at 9:56 AM, James McDonald james@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

[...]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jim,

D&H 13789 comes from series 13700-13889, GB 52' 6" drop-end, welded gondolas with wooden floors. These cars were built by Pullman-Standard in 1951. Their history is covered in RPC 19, and there is a photo of this class on page 109.

My 1958 ORER doesn't list the MILW or WM cars, at least by those numbers.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/31/17 12:56 PM, James McDonald james@... [STMFC] wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the replies Steve, Bill, and Garth. They’re very helpful.

I should have caught the ATSF gondola. It was in my 1950 ORER, but I missed it because I was tricked by the way the entry for ATSF is parsed. It skips the number range where you’d first expect these cars to appear, only to show them on a later page. Of course I have encountered that before, but didn’t remember it in this case. Thanks to you all for getting me squared away.

All the best,

James

=-=-=
James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD

Denny Wertz <wm1118sl@...>

James,
    Referring to the (WM #59792 at Red Lion, Pa., 1953, Ties, 282) car. The WM did not have any rolling stock in the 59xxx series as compiled by author Bill Oertly in the Revenue Equipment books, one on boxcars & one on gondolas done by the WMRHS & still available from them. Both books have a complete freight car roster between the years 1905-1995. It could be a class G2, G3 Gondola #series 50701-50800, blt 4-1937, or a class G43 Gondola #series 55758-55850, blt 1953, 1954. Hope this helps.

Denny Wertz, WMRHS

[...]

Hi Denny,

Thanks for confirming that for me. I suspected as much from the materials I consulted, but it’s nice to be certain that the number is an error. The handwriting in the notation is clear, so it must be that the car number was just written down incorrectly. The alternate suggestions for potential car are helpful. I’ll update my records with this.

Take care,

James

=-=-=

James McDonald
Greenbelt, MD

8a. Re: Help ID'ing cars in MPA notebooks
Posted by: "Denny Wertz" wm1118sl@yahoo.com wm1118sl
Date: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:06 am ((PDT))