Topics

Some enjoyable steam era freight car views in the Barriger collection...

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Some enjoyable steam era freight car views in the Barriger collection... look to have been taken on the CGW.

WFEX 65990 reefer parked in front of O'Neill Fuel and Ice
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296743454/sizes/o/

CGW 89726 40ft steel box
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296490193/sizes/o/

T&P 17033 gondola with ERIE gondola
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296524063/sizes/o/

Hormel reefer and more reefers that I cannot quite identify (maybe NADX?)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296527863/sizes/o/

CGW boxcar, maybe W1280 as reporting makrs?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296535043/sizes/o/

USRA SS boxcar, appears to be in as-built condition, road number might be 28268, but cannot see road name...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296535043/sizes/o/

USRA gon, might be B&M maybe?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296316335/sizes/o/

Claus Schlund

gary laakso

Claus:

The USRA SS boxcar has the same picture address as the CGW boxcar.

Gary Laakso

North West of Mike Brock

[...]

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your sharp eyes!

Corrected link for the USRA SS boxcar is below...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296540503/sizes/o/

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] Sent: Monday, July 31, 2017 10:25 AM
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Some enjoyable steam era freight car views in the Barriger
collection...
[...]

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund wrote:
Corrected link for the USRA SS boxcar is below...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296540503/sizes/o/

Based on the car number, it's most likely from NYC 282500-282999, ex-MCRR 80500-80999, lot 405-B built by Pullman in 1919.

Ben Hom

gary laakso

The tank car in front of the USRA SS boxcar has a very unusual ladder arrangement hugging the curvature of the tank.

Gary Laakso

North West of Mike Brock

Corrected link for the USRA SS boxcar is below...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12296540503/sizes/o/

> The USRA SS boxcar has the same picture address as the CGW boxcar.
>

> Gary Laakso
>
> North West of Mike Brock

rwitt_2000

Another ...

CGW 70009 LO
https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/albums/72157641119576365/with/12594485815/

One comment states:
"CGW tower Ft Dodge Iowa at FtDDM&S xing. View is looking North".

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

Still another from the CGW album id CGW444 a MKT SS box car number begins 777 ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/12593360955/in/album-72157641119576365/

I like how the industry is on both sides of the track.

Bob Witt

Brian Chapman

Claus,

A big, I mean Really BIG thank you for posting the WFEZ 65990 photo. That's East Cabin at East Dubuque, Ill., looking south along the Mississippi River. It is ICRR double-track main, over which Burlington and CGW ran 13 miles from East Dubuque to Portage, where the the roads all diverted. I'm at work modeling East Dubuque, so again, thanks!

All the photos other than the first appear to be taken at CGW locations. Kenyon, Minn., on the Oelwein-St. Paul main; Hayfield, Minn. (the yard ladder; I think Hayfield); Durango, Iowa, in the Mississippi Valley breaks not far west of Dubuque.

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa